Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Naviance / Common App question that I am hoping someone here can answer - my D applied ED to one school on Common App. The LORs were requested through Naviance for just her ED school so that she could show the 11/1 deadline. If she decides to apply RD to any additional schools that use Common App, do the teachers and counselors need to resubmit the LORs to Common App so that it gets sent to the new schools? Or does that happen automatically with no action needed on their part? She does not want to work on any other applications until she hears back from her ED school, but that will just leave her a 2 week window. And given how painful it was to get all the docs submitted for her ED school, I am hoping the answer is that nothing else is needed from the school, especially given that teachers will be out those 2 weeks for Winter Break.

Got that one, too!

Thanks all for the feedback - I was hoping it was just that itā€™s too early yet for schools to be listing April campus visits and tours and that their calendars will be updated later; however there is nothing on the websites to indicate this so we shall see. I surely hope there are mid-April visit opportunities because that is the bulk of S18ā€™s free time.

@Aida, I also have a D17 and S18! D and I did a northeast spring break trip and luckily all but one school had a different spring break schedule from hers. Iā€™m sure the calendars just havenā€™t been set yet. I would check the academic calendars to see when spring break is for each school as well as end of term. Iā€™m certainly not at a point now to even know what colleges S would want to visit!

@RightCoaster, D is applying to Clarkson for engineering and we really liked our visit. The kids seem very down to earth and definitely outdoorsy. The campus is a little rural/isolated, but the buildings are nice and modern and itā€™s pretty. I had half an ear out for business on our visit because my S18 wants to double in business with entrepreneurship focus (this is a focus area at Clarkson) and CS with cybersecurity focus. Business and engineering are definitely their two big draws. Iā€™ve got it down for S18 to check out further. Iā€™ve heard they have very generous merit for ā€œgirls with high math stats,ā€ (hope so!) but not sure how generous they are otherwise.

I donā€™t remember if there was Greek life, but if so it was not a big thing. Hockey is huge of course, with a lot of school spirit, but I wouldnā€™t call it a sports school. Not preppy at all. The male ā€œuniformā€ was a plaid flannel shirt and the girls dressed casually. Personally I wouldnā€™t compare it to UVM because for D, Burlington is a large part of what makes UVM appealing. Potsdamā€¦not so much.

All of my sonā€™s EA apps have been eerily quiet. Do they tend to inform you something is missing once they look it over? How else would they know? Do they just kick you out of the running? Do they really expect these HS grads to know how to fill out a form/application? (hahahaha)

@Dolemite wrote

I will meet you in Margaritaville for a toast :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve received an EA extension from Tulane and U Miami. No idea what D17 has gotten; sheā€™s not sharing, and I donā€™t want to incur another IOU in the swear jar. Tulaneā€™s CS and its swampy climate is a no for D17, and UMā€™s climate and sketchy merit aid knocked it off our list (despite being a legacy at UM).

Interesting article about Alabama:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/education/edlife/survival-strategies-for-public-universities.html?smid=pl-share&_r=0

We also need to visit universities next spring. Iā€™m hoping that UA will be accommodating in March; I plan on contacting them within the next month to see what kind of a plan we can whip up for a visit. Weā€™ve already visited the other two schools in contention, so the second visit wonā€™t be as big of a deal.

Thanks @snoozn for the report!

Good article @CT1417 I like the quote where they state running a school is like running a business. Like Duh!!

@LYLMom Iā€™m not sure exactly what you mean with our LOR question, but I would talk to your Dā€™s guidance counselor for any process related questions. As we have all determined, it seems no two schools are the same when it comes to Naviance and Common App. In our case, D has to request that the teacher submit LORs for each school individually.

Also, I would stock up on Malox for the next two months. If my D submitted only her ED application, I think my head would explode. I would encourage her to get some more apps ready to go.

@hadmeathello - thank you, that is great advice. I will ask D to talk to her GC to get a clearer understanding of what she will need to do if things donā€™t play out the way she hopes. And I totally agree about the backup plan and having some apps ready to go. I have broached the subject, but she is a recruited athlete so feels fairly confident although she understands that there are no guarantees given it is a D3 school. So I am electing not to push on this, as she knows that it will be on her to scramble to get everything together in Dec if needed, and in the end, it will probably be a good life lesson for her that it never hurts to be prepared. But if I had my way, she would totally be working on the backup essays now! So yes, lots of Maalox in my future for the next 6 weeks!

@CT1417 Thanks, interesting article.

My personal question of the day.
One of my sonā€™s schools asks to submit 1st quarter grades and maybe even 2nd semester grades. Do we send them in once we get a hard copy or does the GC know they are needed and just mails them? No info anywhere on this.

I donā€™t know why they would want 2nd quarter grades if they donā€™t come out until after the acceptance notification date? Seems kind of strange. All the other schools say send in 2nd term report and end of year report, not 1st and 2nd quarter. Anyone else dealing with this?

@MotherOfDragons - engineering notebook, sounds very familiar. FTC coach/dad :slight_smile:

@CaucAsianDad You may be right, I really donā€™t know much about UCF but S17 is a NMSF so itā€™s definitely what they are offering to the NMSF upon confirmation as a finalist.

@hadmeathello The extensions S17 received are for EA and ED. School he has never even expressed interest in so no extension is going to get them a submitted app. :smiley:

@RightCoaster As S17ā€™s college counselor explained it to us, for EA schools that had deadlines the transcript send has grades through 11th grade. There is then a mid-year report which will be send to meet the deadline which is generally feb 1 and in January they will send grades again. It sounds like some schools may be asking for 1st quarter grades as part of EA? That seems to be the exception rather than the rule but the mid-year report will automatically be sent out by GCs for all the schools that the kids applied too (assuming the schools require it). You can find the list of what is to be sent in comm app under the ā€˜recommendersā€™ section.

Universal Studies is only an 1.5 hour drive away, Iā€™m thinking trip to Hawaii sounds better.

I donā€™t.

I mean, I like the article generally, but there are a lot of ways in which running a school isnā€™t like running a business. Itā€™s more akin to running a government (which, contra a lot of public rhetoric, doesnā€™t actually work all that well when run ā€œlike a businessā€).

Donā€™t get us in academia and research started on organizations ā€œrun like a businessā€¦ā€ :-& :open_mouth:

Letā€™s move on.

QOTD Common App schools are clear on whether they want Mid Year Grades or not. Ours do. GC will send Mid year grades automatically to CA schools before New Year. Non-CA schools are handled case by case.

Our semester ends Jan 30. Gosh, Iā€™m hoping we are done by then.