Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@WhereIsMyKindle Will PM you.

@Dave_N great news on pitt. Congrats.

Heard my D qualifies for one of the Tuition Exchange spots at my place of work. Now she just has to see if she gets it at any of the schools to where she is applying or bigMAC.

@Dolemite Nice! I have a lot of friends who work at the local Uni who get tuition exchange benis. So jealous.

Got an acceptance today that we were totally not expecting: UVM! After radio silence yesterday, we figured we were in the next batch due out on December 14, but my D just got the email that she’s in! Her first acceptance, but she’d be happy to go if she doesn’t get into her ED school.

Congrats to @klinska’s D!!

@klinska Congrats!!! And fingers crossed for the ED school!

congrats! @klinska

Just found out that Smith College no longer participates in Tuition Exchange :frowning: So after all the work it’s no longer on the table.

In other news D and W are flying out to St Louis in a month to WUSTL. Apparently the Knight Center on campus doesn’t have a room available that night. Any other suggestions for close by accommodations that aren’t the Ritz at $500 :stuck_out_tongue:

Congratulations @klinska ! <:-P <:-P

Congrats on the first acceptance (but fingers crossed for ED) @klinska

@Dolemite I think Clayton/Forest Park is probably the best area to look. You can get decent deals from Priceline.

@Dolemite We stayed at the Park Chase when visiting WashU and enjoyed it very much. I also considered the Westin in Clayton.

We had a pretty full day at WPI open house yesterday - attended info session as well as specific presentations for Elec. & computer eng., robotics and computer science. Also attended a session about music opportunities. There are about 4200 undergrads - the campus is very manageable and I liked the buildings and the overall vibe; though the educational buildings are mostly older buildings they have large rooms for students to do projects in and there was a lot of activity going on. And a new engineering building with innovative labs/maker spaces and dorms is being built - should open in 2018. Professors seem accessible, student body (from a few hours on campus) seemed friendly, nonstressed and happy at WPI - saw many wearing WPI clothing, hanging out together in various places. Access to professors, fairly flexible curriculum and their A, B, C or NR grading system was touted as a way to encourage students to take risks and try different things. They mentioned their Wall Street Journal rating about innovative teaching and research but seemed to put as much or more emphasis on students landing good jobs easily with Google and Uber - wanting all heir robotics students for example. DS felt comfortable there and I really think he could thrive get to be a leader possibly. The 7 week sessions with 3 courses per session and a focus on combining in class learning with hands-on doing could work well for him. There are junior and senior year major projects - some of which may involve international trips. One thing I was not aware of – only 60% of students get housing on campus after the first year (if I heard correctly) and I also wonder what students do on weekends and if there are frequent guest speakers and other engaging activities – need to dig a bit deeper if he gets in and strongly considers it. If anyone has basic questions I can possibly help with, feel free to PM me.

I know it is Saturday but I thought I would check the portals again before heading to the golf course. S17 got accepted to Butler University with a nice $18k per year scholarship!!! Not quite CSU money, but close enough!

It was literally a last minute application!

Excellent news @jpc763 <:-P

@jpc763 
awesome!! NICE way to start the weekend!

Congrats, @jpc763! <:-P

@jpc763 Very nice! Congrats!!!

I have a question about financial aid. Our EFC is over the cost of state schools but not private schools. I was thinking that we wouldn’t file for aid for state schools just the private schools. Will we still be offered the student subsidized and unsubsidized loans at the state schools? I’d like to keep that option open even though we currently don’t plan on the twins taking them.
Additionally two of our state schools (UVA and W&M) use the CSS profile and I did send Fafsa and CSS there, but in hindsight we won’t get any aid there. Will the schools recognize we are not asking for any aid from those schools on the common app?

@jpc763 — Congrats – that’s great news!