Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@itsgettingreal17, I get that (and actually understand and am somewhat sympathetic to it), but the problem is the definition—how in the world do you define a red or a blue state? I mean, presumably Maryland, one of the most Democratic-voting states in the nation, would pass the test of someone who rules out “red states”, right? But what about St Mary’s College, which is in St Mary’s County, which went overwhelmingly for Trump (but is quite near Charles County, which went overwhelmingly for Clinton)? Or do we need to look at the level of how St Mary’s City voted?

I have no problem with slimming down the college list by whatever means necessary. I’m just pointing out that this one should probably be thought out well enough to define it, if it’s going to be used.

@dfbdfb I don’t think a student that doesn’t want to be in a red state would look at the county level. In your example, Maryland is a liberal state and so most liberal leaning students would feel comfortable going to school there. The concerns regarding attending a school in certain states is larger than how a particular county voted. North Carolina is a perfect example. It’s not a particularly welcoming state to minorities and LGBT right now.

@picklesarenice My docs have been pending in IDOC for over a week. I sure hope the schools don’t penalize us for that. And I fear that it could be longer if the docs I uploaded are incomplete or not exactly what they need.

Red vs Blue - My D does not want to be immersed in political activism or overwhelmed with political talk (from any side) So we are trying to rule out schools where that might be an issue - which it seems can be in any color state.

It is worth remembering that in only 11 states (plus the District of Columbia) did either candidate obtain 61% or more of the vote (AL,CA, HI, KY, ND, OK, SD, TN, VT, WV and WY are the exceptions). So no matter where the student ends up. nearly half the people there voted for the “other” candidate. The voting patterns of most states were closer together than different, in relatively narrow margins for either candidate.

I just checked the Purdue portal, and there’s this GIANT RED BOX that says:

NOTICE:
Your application and required materials were received by November 7, which means you met the deadline to be considered for Purdue merit scholarships and the Honors College (if you replied to the Honors College questions on the application). We award merit scholarships between late-December and mid-February.

Geez, can’t they make the box GREEN??? :slight_smile:

@MotherOfDragons and @thshadow We had an issue with UD not receiving a recommendation. Thankfully we checked the portal with Type A frequency! :slight_smile:
However, UD also sent an email. For those with updates on portals, are emails also sent so its not really necessary to check portals daily?

Fun fact for Florida - Florida was red this year, but the 6 counties that contain the 6 largest state universities are all blue.

I bet this trend is not unique to Florida, I noticed that both MichU and MichState were in blue counties.

Heh, yep I figured my take on the south might not go over well with everyone. It is absolutely just my 2 cents put in to answer a question, my own experiences (and those of people I know). My kids all chose to eliminate red states (not meaning just in one or two elections, which we’d consider purple). Some kids won’t go where it’s too hot or too cold, too big or too small, too rural or too urban. Any of these will eliminate large numbers of excellent schools. Each kid has their own “fit.” As long as my kids have a safety they’re willing to attend (and approved by me), they can have whatever deal-breakers they choose.

Okay, maybe I can get myself in more trouble:

Guns on campus
CU-Boulder (where oldest D attends) allows guns, not by their choice but because of a CO supreme court decision which doesn’t allow campuses to make their own rules. I hate this interpretation of the law. I have no problem with people hunting, target shooting, and defending their homes, but oppose guns carried in public by citizens (with some exceptions). I think campuses should be allowed to make their own rules.

Just how ridiculous is this? Oldest D planned a sword dance for a final project. Even though freakin’ real guns are allowed, any other kind of weapon, real or simulated is not allowed. D had to go through red tape (with her prof’s assistance and support) and get permission from campus police to bring her completely dull-edged dance sword onto campus, had to carry it in a bag and bring it immediately to her prof’s office which had to be locked right away. It was taken out for the dance, then locked up in the office again until the end of the day when she carried it in a bag to her car and drove immediately off campus. Thank goodness the CU students were kept safe from her! But if a student has a .44 Magnum – come on in, no paperwork or locked offices for you.

Recreational marijuana
I live in CO and voted in favor of rec for several reasons. It’s less dangerous than alcohol, and other controlled drugs (legal or illegal) that are used recreationally. As far as colleges go, it’s very easy to get alcohol or pot (along with other substances I’m sure) on campus if a student wants it. Oldest D’s close friend was on a “dry” campus and had a near constantly drunk roommate freshman year and said drinking was as common as any other school. I’d much rather have it taxed highly and sold legally. Keep money out of the pockets of drug dealers and give it to small business owners and schools (mostly where marijuana tax goes here). I think opioid abuse is one of the biggest problems we face now as a nation. I’d rather concentrate on fixing that, along with meth, cocaine, heroin, etc.

On testing, I feel strongly that medical users should be exempted as long as they have a doctor’s certificate. There was a terrible case locally in which a partially paralyzed man who used medical marijuana was fired after testing positive, even though the company had no evidence it affected his job performance. Most medical users consume fairly low doses of low-THC marijuana and are not going around stoned. I think companies should be be legally allowed to test otherwise, but I personally oppose it. It’s unfair that employee X can spend all weekend at bars or parties getting blasted, but employee Y gets fired because they smoked one legal joint. I’m assuming here that neither employees’ job performance is affected.

Maybe I’d better leave for a month now and hope everyone forgets me! X_X
:)>-

The first rejection (competitive scholarship) has arrived. 2 down, 14 to go. :((

(I’m not sharing the bad news with D. She’s already been in a bad mood lately and doesn’t need any more bad news right now).

@snoozn — wading deeper into the morass, do you have any concerns about impaired pot smokers driving? I have conducted ZERO research on the topic, so am asking to become educated. I realize that legalizing the use of pot does not mean that we will have more impaired drivers on the road than we do presently with illegal use, but am wondering how this will be policed, if you will. The MADD and SADD campaigns took many years to have an impact, and I am wondering what the equivalent will be for driving while stoned.

On guns…I think I recall reading about the Colorado legislation when older son was applying and that was when I added gun-free to my college criteria checklist.

D was raised in a moderate home and has been immersed in a very liberal zone for IB this past year. I like her widened view and am fine with it— but she has seen the darker side of what happens when the political climate is too much the other way too. Let me tell you— those kids turned on each other even though they were all pretty much likeminded. There was enough subtle bullying from the far left that one girl left the program completely.

@itsgettingreal17 sorry for your dd. That stinks! :frowning:

Sorry @itsgettingreal17 :slightly_frowning_face:

@carpoolingma nope, no emails from umd, we checked. Even the spam folder.

I’m getting a pedicure now and the girls are both college kids. Had a great conversation with them about the hazard of navigating a large, impersonal state uni system vs the hand holding of a small liberal art school.

I keep having this queasy feeling like I need to get d to add one to her list like rice. Wpi kind of fits the bill, as does olin, though, so maybe I just need to chill.

Sorry @itsgettingreal17!

@MotherOfDragons – that was my concern with older son. Less so with younger one, but neither is particularly forceful. The snags I have observed and experienced with the state school apps make me wonder if this is what the students have to handle day-to-day. Michigan’s portal is terrible. Plenty of info there, but no suggestion on where to look for anything.

Adding my ‘sorry’ to @itsgettingreal17

I’m always curious about the stark contrast painted about liberal arts schools and big universities. I’m not so sure it’s accurate. There was no hand holding at my liberal arts college.

At my LAC a professor called me once to see if I was ok when I missed class and another prof set up a class just for me when it wasn’t going to be offered due to low enrollment. I can’t think of any other hand-holding.

Also sorry to hear that @itsgettingreal17. Hopefully (when you do tell your D) she will rebound quickly.

Congratulations @Dave_N ! <:-P <:-P

Congratulations @Motiv8tedmom23 <:-P <:-P