Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@STEM2017 Never heard of the movie but sounds fascinating!

@HiToWaMom It made $1 million in the box office. Probably lasted a week out there.

@stlarenas Are there any kids at your school who took Calc BC junior year? They might make good tutors. My son tutored some students in Calc BC last year with good results. Homework is a very small part of the calculus grade here; most of the grade comes from a couple tests and the semester final. (Straight to BC is a normal path here, but the teacher is good, which helps a lot.)

There are also good video tutorials about Calc BC topics. Kahn Academy would be one, but I’m sure there are others.

@MACncheez No BC.

Over a decade ago the school was on a block schedule. Calc BC was proving too tough to cover in a 9 week period so the teacher developed a double block version by adding in the full AB material and stretching it to a “double block.” When the school went back to the semester system they kept the concept as it was working so well. They eliminated the option of taking AB in 11th and then BC in 12th by getting rid of BC altogether.

The current teacher was actually a student at the school and took the double block class. She says she teaches the class the same way it was taught when she took it a decade ago. They spend more time on AB topics than they would in a BC class, the equivalent of 3/4 of a year. She says it helps the students by starting at a slower pace, there is also time for review and test prep at the end.

Creator of Big MAC is dead. :frowning:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/jim-delligatti-who-invented-the-big-mac-dies-at-age-98-1480522190

@CaucAsianDad Interesting but it still seems like regular old BC to me
taught at a different pace. But I don’t pay much attention to this stuff, so hey, whatever works!

Letter(jacket)s I forgot to mention my thought about this. S has letters and pins but no jacket. I haven’t actually seen a letter jacket on a person in years. He also has about 100 t-shirts from school activities. Have you all seen those t-shirt quilts, where they make the logo/print section of a t-shirt into a quilt block and sew them all together? They’re pretty popular around here for graduating high schoolers, although maybe the trend is passing now. I was planning to do that with S’s shirts and make a couple of small pillows to put his letters on. The pins could go on the pillow as it would be more of a keepsake than something he would use to put his head on. Unless he takes the quilt to college with him (and I doubt he would), we’d use it and the pillows on his bed at home, and then it can go in a chest with all his other stuff when he has an adult household.

My neighbor made such quilts using t-shirts from elementary to high schools. It was lovely. I like the idea and have t-shirts from DS’s preschool, elementary to high school era but I do not sew. I can barely thread a needle now :(( I wonder if there is a quilt-making service?? :-/ :-/

My sewing is limited to scout merit badges on the sash. :)) 5 merit badges to go, come on S19! :smiley:

Calc BC doesn’t seem to be giving kids problems at my daughter’s school but Physics C is at this point. Thankfully my daughter is doing fine so far (knock on wood).

@payn4ward Google “T-Shirt quilts” there are a bunch of companies/individuals that make them. They are not cheap but the ones I have seen are really good quality.

@payn4ward There are. Just google it or check out Etsy. :slight_smile: I’ll probably make S’s and have my mom hand-quilt it. (I should probably mention it to her soon.)

@STEM2017 About AP Calculus. According to CollegeBoard AB vs. BC is supposed to be an either or option. NOT a two year class. Many schools do teach it as a two year class. But that isn’t how it’s designed nor how it’s in our district & probably in theirs. You get your option of being in the honors track classes and going into BC OR taking AB. My son took AB last year (because he was drooped out of the honors track) – got an A & 5 on the AP test. But taking BC this year would be stupid because it’s 2/3 the same class. It all depends on how the school implements the classes. In our school, they use exactly the same book, taught at the same level just cover about 1/3 less of the material.

@stlarenas What does you daughter want to study in college. (Forgive me for not remember.) You do not want her to fail a class. If dropping leaves her with a C for the semester that is a reasonable option. Lowers her stress a lot IMO.

Finding a tutor with other students in the class might be another option, but might be very stressful.

What she is looking to study in college think should affect if she drops. Does she want to get into STEM? If not
 she probably didn’t need to take it in the first place & could probably drop with a C. Replace with another academic class and be fine.

@stlarenas @IABooks wow. Thank you! I’ll get on it!

So is the consensus that it would be detrimental for my D to drop Calc? I will try and get her to consider a tutor, but I think the combination of the horrible teacher, app fatigue, and senioritis has set in and dropping the class sounds pretty great to her right now. I could probably talk her out of it with the addition of a tutor
but she wouldn’t like it :slight_smile:

FYI, Kohl’s is having a big sale on NCAA pullover sweatshirts. If you know where your kid is going, you can get them some school bling.

@stlarenas I’m the one dissenter here. But a question. What is she hoping to study? Forgive me if I’m missed it.

I think it depends on what she wants to study in college & where she is trying hoping to get into school.

I would start with a tutor. See how the rest of the semester goes. When does your semester end, is it soon?

@stlarenas If it works at the school, I think it is fine to drop it for next semester if necessary. For tutoring, I was thinking more of this semester’s grade. Is your semester almost over and the final doesn’t count much? Our semesters don’t end until mid-January, and there would still be a final that would count at least 25% of the class. So, in your D’s situation, I would be looking for a tutor.

Longtime lurker, first time poster here – love this thread – there’s some great info here.
Funny, I know no one, but I know everyone!

– Yearbook: Always buy one – creating ad now with special photos – $325
– Class ring: DD not interested, but her team won a championship, and she wanted that ring – she LOVES it and wears it often
– Summer Trip: Dying to go somewhere – it’s been a long time – haven’t been able to travel anywhere since Freshman year – sports is all year long here

Just a few more apps to go – can’t wait for winter break – my DD is exhausted.

Hoping 2nd semester is way more fun for all of us.

@stlarenas, it sounds like most people are recommending a tutor. If that isn’t desirable or possible, I’d go with taking a different class. I wouldn’t worry about whether it was blow-off or harder; have your child find something they would enjoy.

One caveat: if going into science, math, or engineering field, you may just need to power through the Calc. :frowning:

Welcome @beachham! I’m new here too! :wink: :smiley: