Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

QOTD Music.

For whatever reason, my kids haven’t listened to music with the same level of passion as I used to listen. My taste runs similar to @CT1417, on XM it’s XMU, AltNation, and FirstWave. Streaming, I like thecurrent.org, KCRW’s morning becomes eclectic and NPR’s all songs considered. On the radio, it’s usually WXRT or a local college radio station.

S’14 listens to a little bit of music and does attend lollapalooza since it’s local. D’17 trends toward country, S’20 listens a lot, but just general pop, I think.

Do we dare extend QOTD to AOY (album of the year?)

My pick Michael Kiwanuka, Love and Hate.

@STEM2017 no Ed II apps, but son was asked by 2 different schools if he wanted to switch his RD app to ED2.
Ummm, nope. We’re just sticking to the plan, good or bad.

I don’t think son17 knows his EA app decisions come out Friday, so I’m not going to stress him out. We have 2 weeks of classes left before holiday break, want to keep stress in house low

@Mom2aphysicsgeek -Thank you for responding.

Sent a email to admissions and keeping fingers crossed.

Congrats on yet more and more good news and hugs for the bad news (but at least there are still many options for those who missed out on one).

QOTD: Tons of the music I listen to is what I hear from my kids: Imagine Dragons, Hozier, AWOLNATION, Panic at the Disco, Lumineers, Kongos, One Republic, Fallout Boy etc., etc. From oldest D I get a lot of music in interesting genres: Middle eastern, African, hip-hop, eastern European, with traditional and modern versions. My favorite of those is Beats Antique. The kids also like some of my classic rock and Weird Al!

If you like AC/DC and/or Cellos, you must watch this very unique rendition of Thunderstruck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT3SBzmDxGk
(and if CC doesn’t allow youtube links, just search “2cellos thunderstruck”)

QOTD: D is into cold play, 21 pilots, panic at the disco, need to breathe, rachel platten; she also loves older stuff - classic rock, jazz, punk rock, reggae etc. She digs vinyl records - it’s retro I guess lol

D17 is having her wisdom teeth out 12/23 so I appreciate all the tips! I’m not looking forward to it, but have not had time to worry about it. Between now and then D has finals, ED decision and taking her drivers test finally!

@Atyraulove – that’s a LOT for the next two weeks—yikes!

I would add surgical gauze to the shopping list of bags of frozen veggies and water squirting gizmo. Older son bled a bit at home, so I asked for extra gauze when leaving doctor’s office with younger son. Neither boy took the prescribed narcotics. More discomfort and ‘ick’ factor than pain, IIRC.

GOOD LUCK!

QOTD: Music. D15 is really into music and we share music finds. She has introduced us to some (Jason Mraz comes to mind) and we have introduced her to some (Sara Bareilles, her absolute favorite). Some we’ve discovered together (One Republic for example). D likes a lot of 70s and 80s classics. For her 18th bday she wanted to see Elton John. S17 isn’t as musically oriented and usually puts up with whatever is on.

QOTD Music - S15 listens to 80’s but he’ll turn it off if I start singing! He also is into alternative music - couldn’t tell you the bands as that is all new to me. D17 listens to almost everything - Hamilton is often stuck in my head due to her. But beyond that, she listens to Imagine Dragons and Lumineers & similar, instrumental - Piano Guys, Lindsey Stirling, 2 Cellos, etc., world music - specifically Japanese music. I never know what her mood is going to be - music is pretty much on constantly - sometimes headphones, but often speakers so I hear it all.

Music: I actually keep more or less up on current musical trends, but yeah, there are a number of things I probably wouldn’t have learned about (Imagine Dragons, all the Adele clones, Owl City, a bunch of musical theater stuff…) without my kids’ direction. Of course, my D19 has gotten way beyond into 80s synthpop lately, so it appears to work in reverse, too.

Album of the year: I’m a bit of a dinosaur in that I actually listen to music in album form, so this one’s a fun one for me. Bowie’s Blackstar belongs on the list, certainly. Others up there for me are Ariana Grande’s Dangerous Woman, Panic! at the Disco’s Death of a Bachelor, Steeleye Span’s Dodgy Bastards, and A Tribe Called Quest’s We Got It from Here…Thank You 4 Your Service. I haven’t had time to properly digest Jean-Michel Jarre’s Oxygène 3, but it might be on my shortlist, too. Honorable mention: Meghan Trainor’s Thank You isn’t that great as an album, but it has some of the strongest singles of the year, I’d say. Also: Beyonce’s Lemonade will, I am sure, be on many people’s lists, but it really didn’t do it for me, to be honest.

Paragraphs: @MotherOfDragons, anyone who claims that three or four sentences make up a paragraph with no wiggle room while simultaneously having that claim follow two two-sentence paragraphs (and a one-sentence mnemonic standing on its own) should have their grammar license taken from them.

@PDMom1718 My D only sent in all of her ACT scores. She took the SAT, which we did not use. She was admitted a couple of weeks ago, with a very nice scholarship. Hope it is not a problem for the honors application. I feel like I remember that they start to notify between Dec. 15th and Feb. 15th, but I could be wrong.

@Ynotgo I would ask the dentist about putting off the Wisdom teeth. Really depends on the kid. To my surprise S17 won’t need to have his wisdom teeth removed at all, they are coming in & doing just fine. He has also not really needed braces either – our dentist/ortho says he could have them but it’s more a cosmetic decision. Considering how messed up both mine & my older daughters teeth were/are it’s quite the miracle.

BTW my daughter wasn’t happy for about 2 days. But after that it really wasn’t a big deal. I had 2 of mine out about 5 years ago, and it was about the same even though one became infected.

QOTD: Music. S17 loves music. His taste is all over the place. Jazz, classical, 80’s, 40’s, rock, musicals…

@ct1417 Yes, he is done but I’ll be following along and keeping my fingers crossed for all of the 2017ers. Plus, I need to learn from all of the btdt on stuff to buy, classes to take, etc. I’m sure there will be so many more conversations once they all decide where they are heading.

QOTD follow-up.

@dfbdfb, Totally agree about “Blackstar” from David Bowie. Also loved Nick Cave and the Bad Seed’s “Skeleton Key”, and Leonard Cohen’s “You want it darker”. I’ve only listened to a Tribe Called Quest’s new one “We got it from here… Thank You 4 Your Service” a few times, but so far so good.

Sorry if this too much of a thread highjack. Works as a stress reliever for me.

I have managed to make both my daughters really mad at me tonight. Where is my medal? @-)

@jedwards70 – Congrats on completion then! Yes, I expect much useful chatter about dorm prep & move-in.

Love the music discussion.

When do your kids get off for the Holidays? Will they be done with the semester?

S17 has another week of classes. Looks to be a busy week & tons of homework. End of the semester isn’t till 3rd week in January. S17 will enjoy the time off except he does still have 2 applications to finish and to finish his online heath course. The later shouldn’t be hard if he just puts the time in and if he doesn’t finish he will be taking 7am zero period last semester. His teachers aren’t supposed to assign homework over the break, BUT some always end up being sneaky & making big project dues a few days after the break is over.

** Music ** Have no idea what S17 likes in terms of music. I think it’s fairly far reaching and varied. What I find is kids identify a lot less by the music they listen to then when I was a teen. My older D and I enjoyed some similar band when she was in H.S. and we attended a few concerts together. But she’s now into K-pop and I’m not very interested. I like a variety of music, but mostly in the rock genre and don’t care for much pop and it spans from 60

Qotd: Som17 listens to some cool stuff like REM,Pixies,Pavement- not much new stuff but he likes Coldplay and the Killers.

Son19 has the worst taste in music of anyone I know, he listens to zany electronica , pop hits, and crazy rap stuff. I just tell him to shut his door or put headphones on. I think he is inspired by this music because they blast it out of the loudspeakers during soccer practice and in the stadium before games to get the boys all hyped up.

@stencils Giggle. Big Hamilton fans at our house. Have seen it several times and pretty much have the cast recording memorized. DD used a Hamilton reference in her Instagram announcement about her college acceptance results.

DS17 gets off 12/16. Final week is Tuesday to Friday 12/16 getting out 11:05 during the week. [-(
We started August 16th so we finish early, and Graduation will be on May 20th. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

At some point, he will need to take the driving test. His 3-year-old permit expires in summer.
Also, he needs one tech elective to graduate. Need to figure that out. So Graduation is not guaranteed. :))