Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@snoozn Hooray! <:-P <:-P

Jumping in with a self-plagarism real life example and warning. We had never heard of it before our D was called in to meet with one of her HS admins and questioned about a paper she turned in to AP Economics last year.

She had used parts of a paper that she had turned in for a Model UN conference on the same topic earlier that year. She had discussed her excitement with the topic with her econ teacher and she shared that she had worked on an economics committee at MUN on the same topic. He knew that she was assigned the same topic and she used a lot of her MUN research and positions in her class paper and even used parts of her previous paper as an example for the class. She did add on to her AP assignment extensively and it did have a bit of a different focus to meet the requirements of the AP paper but there were sections that were the same.

It was flagged on turn-it-in and the teacher reported her. She was perplexed since she had discussed this with the teacher ahead of time and the entire body of work was not the same. :open_mouth: She did understand that some phrases and sentences in the background section were the same words – they were hers and she thought she was in the clear. It was very stressful and in the end a valuable learning experience without any lasting consequences. She got of with a “warning” but it has made her very and could have gone very badly.

Congrats!!! @snoozn

Finals are optional if an A in the class. So D is done, but has to go to class until Thursday. She watched Amazon Prime on her phone all day.

Grades are not quite final but she had an amazing semester. She told me that several kids in the top 1% have senior itis.

Congratulations, @snoozn! Woo and hoo! <:-P <:-P <:-P

Yay for @Snoozn 's D, great job!

Congrats @snoozn and thanks for the warning! <:-P

Just got an email that one school will have a 4pm decision on this Friday. Really going to make us sweat it out the whole week, argghhh. I do like that they let us know ahead of time, but now the stress-o-meter will be crazy high all week.

I am also available to help any of your students who end up in my area, so if you’re looking at Iowa State, let me know. :))

Congrats to your D, @snoozn! Awesome news.

Congrats @snoozn! Great news for you D - awesome school (RHIT)! and totally must feel great to get into the CO State U honors college.

@snoozn congrats to your D!

Congrats @snoozn definitely a banner day!!!

Yay @snoozn <:-P

The scholarship decision we were expecting by mail “before the end of the year” will instead be shared by a phone call this weekend.

:-S

@snoozn double congrats!!! <:-P <:-P

@WhereIsMyKindle Can you take that as a hint of good news? Surely they aren’t calling those who don’t win the scholarship???

@snoozn Congrats! @WhereIsMyKindle that sounds like a good thing to me!

If any kids end up at NU, UChicago, DePaul, Loyola-Chicago, etc. let me know!

@BigPapiofthree I’m sure it must sting and I agree, it’s always tough to see your children sad. Sending hugs for S.

@MotherOfDragons D18’s scores are very good and perhaps she’ll surprise you when the SAT rolls around in the spring! And although I doubt CC is her only option, i say don’t knock it! I know several kids that have thrived in that environment while they figure out what it is that drives them! It certainly saves some $$, that’s for sure. About moving to FL, can you do that for instate the year of?

@RightCoaster we are with you on the SUSPENSE level! We are hopeful for 2-3 EA decisions this week and they a very long wait. It’s quite painful. If we get just one acceptance, I think a bit of a weight will be lifted!

@Dolemite Good luck on the calc exam and the Penn decision oh my!

D got into BHP (business honors program) at UT!

Also in at UGA honors! Happy Monday. :slight_smile:

@snoozn Congratulations!! What fantastic news <:-P