Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@phoenixmomof2 Congrats! I’d personally choose Santa Clara over ND every time! We have a friend studying there now, having the time of his life he claims.

Thank you @RightCoaster . My H and I both went there, so we certainly wouldn’t be upset with that choice.

@phoenixmomof2 - My Dad, Uncle and Brother went to Santa Clara. I tried to encourage a visit when we visited Stanford and Berkeley but no go. I grew up in Cupertino so have lots of family there.

QOTD: Community Service Hours: I’ve heard from friends that our public schools require 200 hours of community service. S17’s school does not have any service requirements. The kids each have different organizations they feel strongly about and as a result, S17 has done a variety of community service work with his friends as they support each other’s causes. I think it’s pretty cool that they support each other this way.

@Mom2aphysicsgeek Very cool about the Russian note with the acceptance letter. Congrats on the acceptance!

@STEM2017 Congratulations on S17’s acceptance and scholarship. Would be nice to have a grandfather in the same city wouldn’t it?

QOTD2: No assigned homework over break.

Macncheez: You’re hilarious (post #23462). S17 received a postcard from a school today. No fee and no essays. I think you can sneak in an app so you can have something to keep you busy. I believe it is Colby. It’s in Maine and during the winter, your D would have to wear pants but it could be an app for fake kid. How is fake kid making out with the app process?

Kiddo got another one today. Colorado School of Mines accepted. Now only has to hear about the scholarship and then wait for the rest of the decisions during RD.

It was the best of times; it was the worst of times.

Congrats to all the acceptances and scholarship awards!!

Hopeful wishes for those deferred.

Hugs for those not-accepted.

There are many paths to happiness. Blaze your own.

@paveyourpath Thanks!

And you cracked me up! Yes…@macncheez I want to know FK’s current results, too!! :slight_smile:

Thanks for asking about fake kid @paveyourpath and @Mom2aphysicsgeek. He has the following acceptances, all of them ED:

• []Harrison University
    [
    ]Grand Lakes University
    []Pacific Tech
    [
    ]Adams College
    []Coolidge College
    and of course, his (and @STEM2017’s) #1:
    [
    ]Faber College

If I had a fake kid, he’d apply to Monsters University or Starfleet Academy.

http://www.ranker.com/list/the-50-best-fictional-colleges-and-universities/abbey-grantham

Lol!! Definitely @ynotgo. My real ds would join Starfleet in a heartbeat. He would actually be even more interested in joining Stargate! :slight_smile: Can’t imagine the unlimited boundaries of a fake kid!

Your fake kids would be way cooler than mine @Ynotgo and @Mom2aphysicsgeek!

@iliesporks Maybe, but I bet they wouldn’t have careers with clients like Rod. :slight_smile:

QOTD #1: no required volunteer hours for D17 but if you volunteer 100 hours and write an essay you do get a service award recognition. D has done this every year, most hours done during the summer.

QOTD #2: no homework allowed to be assigned over breaks! It’s very nice.

D was accepted to Smith ED! It was a bumpy road but she (and I) are very excited to be done.

@MACncheez What is @Mom2aphysicsgeek talking about? Who’s Rod? =))

@Atyraulove Congratulations on your DD’s Smith acceptance!

No officially assigned homework over break. That doesn’t mean teachers don’t sneak stuff in…

Community Service Hours. No official requirement. They used to put a notation on the transcript if you turned in a form by a certain time. But these days they just say log your hours & put them on your college app.