Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Way to early to be talking lists of what to bring to dorms.

@MotherOfDragons Look at Cornell for the hospitality management program in the school of hotel administration.

Wish everyone a great Holiday Season!!!

For those who will be submitting RD applications, best of luck!!!
For those who are done with the apps, enjoy the relaxation!!!

@carachel2 D is getting a ton of BAMA stuff under the tree to add her her growing collection. We are also outfitting my husband:)
@Mom2aphysicsgeek right now D is interested in IB along with finance /economics, loves language and really just wants to learn as much as she can and study abroad. She was against business until started working 2 years ago and became fascinated by finance. She actually wants to of to law school, but we will see what happens in the next couple of years.

@longwood D18 does not have the stats for cornell. Ucf is a match if she gets aā€™s this year, a reach with bā€™s. Her psat was 660/620, so weā€™re aiming for match or merit in that level. I had to bail from the parents 2018 thread because it was too aggravating. ā€¦

Was this article posted here yet?
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/21/opinion/the-plague-of-early-decision.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0&referer

Itā€™s pretty interesting.

One quote:

@thshadow Lively debate going on a separate thread re that article.

^^ There is another thread going on
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/1948409-the-plague-of-early-decision.html#latest

If D goes to the UK, obviously we wonā€™t be sending much. Most dorm rooms there are single and pretty small but lots of common areas with kitchens, laundry, ironing, etc. If she has a single, Iā€™d expect sheā€™d be out in the common rooms a lot, using microwaves, etc. there. Sheā€™s pretty social and she actually wants a double, but most schools have very limited doubles.

LOL @itsgettingreal17 I have to take a peek at 2018 now. Iā€™m hoping 2020 is ok. We are off to Scottsdale, AZ for the next week. Iā€™ll see if they have internet there :D.

@STEM2017 Arenā€™t you supposed to be somewhere? And, the dorm list I have is a regular doc, not a spreadsheet! Oy!

@MACncheez CC is like crack. I need help.

Maybe itā€™s too early to be asking this, but with this talk of peeking at other-age parents lists:
QOTD: Whoā€™s next? (Or are you done?)

How will you fill the void in your life that used to be filled with thrilling college research and strategizing???

For me, maybe itā€™s not too early to start pestering DS19! *-:slight_smile:

I have only one child (DS), so need to figure out what to do with my time come August 2017 :slight_smile: May be I should have a fake DD18 =))

QOTD: DS19
@thshadow Come on over to 2019 board and we can agonized over the PSAT scores and next yearā€™s class schedules and ECs. =))
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/class-20xx-community/1732893-parents-of-the-hs-class-of-2019-p120.html

@srk2017 You can go over to the medical school application thread or something =))

I have a 10 yo so I get to do it all again in 7 years!

** QOTD: ** S20 is coming up. Compare to D17 (or say, under the shadow :smiley: ), he has always regarded himself as ā€˜in the middleā€™. But I see him as a kid with a lot of grit and is likely to have even higher stats than D17. He is having a blast as a freshman in his very competitive HS. He has learnt coding C++ for his robotic club, started receiving invitations to math competitations, continued playing alto sax in Jazz band, and will try out for boy tennis in spring. I am expecting a lot of fun around this time in 3 years. Hope our 2020 thread is as fun and supportive as this one!

What to bring: Wherever D17 goes, itā€™s going to be quite a distance away, and thereā€™s a wide variety of included amenities in dorms at her various possible colleges, so weā€™re avoiding making any decisions until she decides on a college.

Plague of early decision: Iā€™ve mentioned my philosophical objections to ED many times here on CC, no need to go over it all again. I think the article @thshadow posted hit all the high points, though I feel like it was weak argumentation overallā€”it could have laid it out much better.

Whoā€™s next: D17 is the oldest, and will be followed by D19, D23, and D25. Weā€™re in this for the long haul.

QOTD: Next up is S20. He is a completely different kid from D17, so his college search will be a whole new animal. Right now, Iā€™m focusing on how he will deal with D leaving home. He has been really happy for D but I can see that he is upset that sheā€™ll be leaving and heā€™ll be alone. Theyā€™ve always been close, so I know it will be difficult for both of them.

For those who have been through this before, any advice on making the transition easier for the younger kid?

D20 follows D17. Sheā€™s her own kid. shaping up to be pretty athletic as a xc runner after uninspiring attempts at other sports. Worse grades than D17 but better test scores.

OK letā€™s be honest. The kid doesnā€™t give a ratā€™s patootie about grades unless she likes the class and the teacher.

QOTD: One and done! She gets to go through this again in 3-4 years to look for grad/med school but I plan to be in a supportive role.

Iā€™m retiring, dropping DD off at college, and moving back ā€œhomeā€ with DH after ā€œseeing the worldā€/27 years in the military.

Looking forward to the next chapter in our lives.