Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@RightCoaster For you $300 an hour!

@itsgettingreal17 pulling for your D to get Singletary too!!!

@Collegecue my son is waiting on some RD decisions in which we have met the coach and admissions staff for a pre-read but did not file for ED. So his file has sat in their office for months now. I assume he will get in, but no guarantees I guess. We should hear back from one of them in the next 2 weeks I think.

He has also applied to RPI and BU, business major. It will be interesting to see if he gets in there.

I thought he liked the local biz schools a lot, but when we toured a few tech schools over the fall he seemed to like the vibe of those better for some reason. Although he plays sports he likes some nerdier things and I think he wants a balance at school. He likes emerging technology, apps, gaming, learning to code a bit, playing sports, music, movies etc.
Some of the tech schools had pretty decent biz schools where you could dabble in engineering/digital arts etc. He liked that, versus just going to school to learn accounting or finance. So weā€™ll see what he decides.

QOTD - D dropped two LACs from her list of of schools that sheā€™s applying to that donā€™t give merit after she got her her EA acceptance. She figured that if thereā€™s no BigMAC to be had there and weā€™re looking at paying full freight, then sheā€™d certainly pick her EA school over either of the full-pay LACs.

As for acceptances, she only has one, so far, and that was a safety, so safety it remains.

@Fishnlines29 you said ā€œMaybe Iā€™d use my invisibility to travel the world for freeā€ - too funny, that was the second one my D just came up with!

@STEM2017 you said ā€œIf I had to write about being invisible, I wouldnā€™t write about how great it would be. I would take the opposite approach like the one Ralph Ellison took in his book Invisible Man. I would probably try to explain how we take our presence for granted and how it would be lonely and difficult to be invisible.ā€ Ooh - deep thinking! My Dā€™s English class read Invisible Man last semester - did your kidā€™s also?

What kind of marching band doesnā€™t include woodwinds. I object on principle and neither of my kids are woodwinds nor do they plan on marching in college. But itā€™s all kinds of wrong!

@Fishnlines29 let us know what answer you get when you pose the question this evening!

Serendipity! D was insistent on going to school today even though she has strep throat (doc said she could go if she really wanted since sheā€™s not contagious now). Todayā€™s a snow day! Our district is notorious for not giving snow days even when the surrounding districts do, so Iā€™m doing a happy dance.

Every time I see folks talking about ā€œsingletaryā€ I read it first as ā€œsingularity.ā€ Has anyone considered Starfleet Academy?

QOTD: Accepted and unofficially dropped:
Oregon State U: The COA is in range, but still about $10,000 higher than two safeties. As a big state U (D prefers smaller schools), itā€™s not worth the extra cost even though they have a nice program in her desired field.
U of Vermont: COA is out of our range.

Weā€™re not officially dropping anything unless RIT comes through with good merit in case anyone offers more at RD time. Doubtful!

She has three definitely affordable acceptances and one thatā€™s do-able at a stretch (Gonzaga - her first choice out of acceptances so far). One accepted school hasnā€™t sent merit info yet. The four RDā€™s include her top choice, RIT. Which sort of answers @Collegecueā€™s question - RIT (RD decision) and Gonzaga (accepted) are at the top right now, but things are still in flux.

@Dave_N, D has a similar question for an honors essay about what invention has had the worst impact on our world. She hasnā€™t written it yet (due Jan 12!), but I think her planned answer is good. And I also thought about the superpower episode of This American Life. Personally Iā€™d use it for a combination of good and greed. (Now that I saw @CAtransplantā€™s answer, I would also go to forbidden, behind-the-scenes areas of historical castles, houses, cathedrals, etc.) >:)

@CAtransplant My kids donā€™t tell me what they are readingā€¦or if they are reading. But I do hope they read Invisible man.

Re: Marching band in college. This takes me back to my first post on CC (ahem). I was looking for a school that might give a scholarship for a tuba playing girl. One response I received was about USCarolina, which used to give you in-state tuition (if memory serves) if you played in the marching band. This sounded awesome, so I put it on my spreadsheet (early her junior year) and did some research. When I mentioned it to D, she gave me to most pained look Iā€™d ever seenā€¦and it was then I learned she wouldnā€™t do marching band in college. Done. Sheā€™d had it with her most recent band director who had taken all the fun out of it.

ETA: As much as I tried to convince her it would be cool to dot the ā€˜iā€™ for the cursive Ohio State, she wouldnā€™t budge.

The Ohio State Marching Band is the largest all brass band in the world (percussion too). At least they made that claim at one point in time. They allowed woodwinds prior to 1934. I remember seeing an alumni band performance with an old guy playing the clarinet. Presumably he was in the band when woodwinds marched.

The band refers to itself as TBDBITL (The Best Damn Band in the Land). Check out some of their performances on youtube. Formations are amazing. They were in an ipad commercial a couple years back (Robin Williams narrated it ā€“ never saw the commercial again after he died).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngjcAvg6TYg

Accepted and unofficially dropped

CO Mines
Ohio State (Momā€™s cc influenced choice, D was never interested)

Officially dropped-

OU - Never actually applied but DH still called and informed them that D would not be applying because they were so intensely courting D. It almost worked, they definately caught her attention. She does wear their national scholars t-shirt, but wonā€™t wear swag from true contenders until acceptances are in and choice is made.

@RightCoaster What? Nerds arenā€™t supposed to be athletes and vice versa? :))

Wyoming pays for you to be in the marching band. I think it was maybe $200? LOL

Yes, many schools pay a stipend. I think Bama and Virginia Tech paid $500-1000 depending on instrument(?).

Guys! Thereā€™s still time to register for the January SAT!!

@BingeWatcher

We paid $280 for the fall semester. D16 is at UK on the Patterson. We also paid a little over $2000 for health insurance, a BCBS plan, since D was on an HMO back here at home and would not be covered in Lexington.

This is our first year, so we have not done taxes yet (on the room & board stipend).

Go Cats!

@BingeWatcher

Addingā€¦the room & board stipend fully covered the cost of a double in Johnson (called a 4 Person Suite), one of the dorms where Honors is housed this year.

Next year, D will be in the new Honors dorm, Lewis, aka The Palace, and will be upgrading to a 2 Bedroom Suite. Full beds instead of twin, private bedrooms, small kitchenette area. That will be an extra $500 per semester.

D took some classes online over winter intersession (Xmas break), and those classes were NOT covered by the Patterson. Iā€™m glad we filled out the FAFSA and she was eligible to take out a small student loan to help pay for it.

Does anyone know whether a scholarship that covers tuition, fees, room, board, books and laptop would also cover the health insurance? Iā€™m trying to figure out if my DD goes to Howard, if I will have to pay the health insurance out-of-pocket (which I donā€™t mind at all, since everything else is free, but just curious). I have an HMO in CA so she definitely will need the health insurance.

@nw2this ha, not what I meant. I was trying to say my kid is more of a nerd-jock . Heā€™s a bit of both. He likes nerdy things a lot but also likes playing sports. Not just stereotypical jock stuff, or nerd stuff. Heā€™s not quite a jock that heā€™s a D1 type athlete, nor nerdy enough to just focus on that. Heā€™s more nerdy than jocky, but not a true nerd. My other son is more jocko than nerd, but is really focused on both, heā€™s a great soccer player who excels in STEM stuff.

@BigMACLovin regarding SATā€™s, son has a friend that is making that one last minute attempt at getting a good score on the SAT.