Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Thank you @Midwest67.That makes KU look very good to me!

@BigMACLovin, one of the great legendary papers in linguistics (which may or may not have ever existed, but if it was was passed around in mimeographed form in the 1960s/70s under a pseudonym, as many papers of that era were) weighed in on the question of whether the mental linguistic system, when developing an utterance, could hold onto something it had deleted (as we often do when conjoining items, so that ā€œPat went to the store+Chris went to the storeā€ becomes ā€œPat and Chris went to the storeā€) and have that deleted item affect other things later in the process.

The title, the story goes, read ā€œOn the Non-Recoverability of Deletionā€.

The rest of the page was blank.

@MSHopeful You will need to pay for health insurance out of pocket.

@dfbdfb You must be mistaking me for someone smart. Youā€™ve made my head hurt!

@dfbdfb You lost him at @BigMACLovin

@itsgettingreal17 Thanks. Going to have to factor that in for almost any college (except if she stays in CA which probably wonā€™t happen).

I have factored in $1500 for health insurance for all schools on the list. We have a decent CIGNA PPO. What are the chances we WILL NOT have to pay for the school insurance? I once started to look this up on individual sites, but it was too earlyā€¦I thought I would wait until the list was shorter. Any suggestions on how to find this information? As I recall it was not immediately obvious.

Try a search here on CC under each college youā€™re interested inā€¦ We were able to find parent discussions about ease of getting health insurance waivers from Dā€™s school (information that, as you said, was not that easy to find or understand on website).

QOTD: Unofficially dropped:

In her mind our D17 has selected the school she wants to attend, but weā€™re hoping for additional merit. We havenā€™t sent in her deposit for that reason; they upped her scholarship last week by a bit, so itā€™s not such a crazy idea, IMO. Therefore, she has (probably) unofficially dropped 5 schools. The only issue with waiting is that her preferred dorm choice may not be where she gets to live, but thatā€™s okay. She applied to four universities for nursing, and was direct admitted to three thus far; she expects to hear from the fourth one in February, I think. The other two schools she applied to were her safeties ā€“ state universities.

We have a D13 who will be graduating this May with a double major and a minor, and will likely be working for the company she works for now after graduation ā€“ very exciting!! Iā€™ve always liked the college application/selection process, and have tried to keep up with the more recent posts in this threadā€¦I enjoy hearing where kids go to college :slight_smile: I was kind of active early on in this thread, but life got in the way, and I kinda knew how to navigate the process for our younger D. However, in getting up to date I saw QOTD and thought quote of the dayā€¦haha ā€“ obviously itā€™s question of the day! I havenā€™t figured out MAC yet tho ā€“ merit aid (something) Iā€™m guessingā€¦thanks for letting me know! Iā€™ll try to stay on top of this thread so I donā€™t have to re-introduce myself for the THIRD time!

@BigMACLovin It may be easier to get a waiver if you have a PPO. I thought about switching to a PPO during open enrollment but I think the increased cost for the whole family would be more than just me paying for the school insurance for four years. I didnā€™t price it out exactly but I know the increased monthly cost, plus paying a percentage of each visit, etc. would end up costing quite a bit.

@BigMACLovin ā€“ I fear that ā€˜not immediatelyā€™ obvious is the answer. Older sonā€™s school requires that I submit plan design details each summer so that they can approve or deny. A friendā€™s Dā€™s plan was denied, but approved upon appeal. I have not been able to figure out if there is a dollar threshold or a coinsurance threshold, but my son was approved even though our in-network had a $7K deductible.

Donā€™t hate me. The 4 year fee for DD17 to participate in the NHS in the UK including orientation and graduation weeks is 675 pounds. Thatā€™s for FOUR years.

@BigMACLovin Hereā€™s an example of what a health insurance plan must cover in order to receive a waiver https://www.universityhealthplans.com/pdf/UDel_ComparablePlans-1516.pdf

I bet every school is different :))

Yes, there are lots of local issues. For example, many people in CA have Kaiser insurance, but Santa Barbara does not have a Kaiser location. So, people with Kaiser have to buy insurance for their kids at UCSB and are surprised at that because Kaiser is fairly ubiquitous in other parts of CA.

@ynotgo - Thanks for Kaiser info. Kaiser is not in lot of other states, so that means you need to buy insurance?

@BigMACLovin we are also in IL, also coming up short with reciprocity schools that meet D2ā€™s needs, and not even bothering with UIUC due to its relatively high cost and low merit. D2 will be heading to UMD, UA, or UA-H.

@dfbdfb I think perhaps Pat and Chris each went to the store on their own, and then later, went together. 8-}

@our2girls Hello! Where is D13 graduating from? Thatā€™s so exciting Iā€™m sure!

@our2girls --welcome (again!) and congrats on the direct entry nursing admits. That is TOUGH!

Re: insurance. Havenā€™t thought about that yet. Hs company has a major branch in the city of her current first choice so hopefully the insurance works out?!

@srk2017 We donā€™t have Kaiser insurance, so I donā€™t know what type of coverage you have when you go out of state. There is Kaiser in Ventura, but UCSB says you need to have access to medical care within something like a 30 minute drive, which Ventura isnā€™t.

Re: insurance - We have an excellent UHC PPO plan, so D will not need additional insurance.