Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@carachel2 Yes, she did! Thank you for mentioning it on this thread in the past. It led me to do some research, and I made sure to tell her to ask for the shot when she went in.

I hope the scheduling works out @Mom2aphysicsgeek Congrats to your D on the invitation to another scholarship competition!

@BusyNapping --good! So many schools are requiring it now.

I predict mass chaos and vaccine shortage in June-August as parents realize it is required and race to get it done.

@Ynotgo interested in your recommendation about a camp at CalPoly SLO but canā€™t find @thshadow 's other post - can one of you direct me to it? Thanks!

@CAtransplant Sure: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/summer-programs/1955447-looking-for-a-summer-program-for-current-10th-grader-preferably-close-a-short-flight-from-sf-area.html#latest

@Mom2aphysicsgeek Congrats on the new scholarship competition!! Iā€™ve decided that the colleges schedule them on the same weekend on purpose.

@Mom2aphysicsgeek @itsgettingreal17 I think they do schedule some of them on purpose. PICK ME NOW they seem to scream.

Not that we have those worries at our house lol!

@STEM2017 I canā€™t blame him for feeling that way, I tend to agree with him. Iā€™d not close the door but still, I get where he is coming fromā€¦

@Mom2aphysicsgeek --congrats! Sorryā€¦forgot to add that!

Sounds like a task for google flights!

@Ynotgo thanks!

So sorry @STEM2017 ā€“ that stinks! Hopefully they will come to their senses.

Congrats to those who got good news. DS got some too - very excited for GaTech - for Elec. Eng. He really liked his visit - weā€™ll go back for another look!

UMich suggested DS finish his app today.

Congrats on GaTech, @CA1543 !!

@CA1543 Congrats on GT!!! It was very competitive this year.

Sorry @STEM2017!

It does seem it has been an unusual year. Itā€™s telling when even the GCs express surprise at some of the decisions. I imagine it will make it harder for GCs to provide advice next year.

@MotherOfDragons I read something similar to the deferred to 2018 scenario over on the Northeastern thread a few weeks ago. Someone posted the content of their letter and it all seemed very strange. Seems to be the latest new wrinkle colleges are adding to the mix to make this process more painful.

Congratulations to all of the new scholarships and acceptances!

Congrats @CA1543 !!!

I would like to say huge congrats to all those getting good scholarship news ā€“ very impressive.

Congrats on GT @CA1543!

@STEM2017 You know your ds is a strong candidate. He deserves to feel valued as an applicant. Nothing wrong with his attitude!! (Just sorry he had that outcome.)

@MotherOfDragons Is the enrollment for spring2018 or fall 2018?? If it is spring, I think this is the reasonā€” it is a student they want to offer enrollment to but they donā€™t want the studentā€™s stats factored in their enrollment numbers. I am pretty sure colleges only have to report fall enrollment stats, so spring enrollment numbers can be ā€œignored.ā€

This is the way my niece was accepted to her university. She had a 4.0 GPA and a good portfolio (art major), but her test scores were really low. They offered her spring enrollment.

Tagging on to what @Mom2aphysicsgeek said aboveā€¦

Agree that the second semester freshmen admits often have stats a little lower than the fall admits. Some schools have long had a formal program of second semester admits (students can ask to be considered for Feb admission at Middlebury). The schools can fill the beds of freshmen who do not return after the first semester, so it is also a good financial move for the universities.

@MotherOfDragons We have a friend who was accepted to Babson the same way ā€“ spring so that his GPA/test scores wouldnā€™t count against them.

@STEM2017 Bing has been deferring a crazy amount of kids this year. D17 is still waiting (didnā€™t have her act together enough to get in her EA app) but has some friends who everyone assumed would be accepted get deferred. The only thing I can think is that they got taken by surprise with a larger than usual number of apps, so theyā€™re hedging their bets.

D17 actually got her first acceptance today - to SUNY Stony Brook - which is the same school she still needs to write the honors blurb for, lol. They said she had until the 1/15 app deadline to submit that separately from her common app, but the admit email came in today. Hopefully that means she will still be eligible for WISE (Women in Science & Engineering is the honors program she selected.) At any rate, sheā€™s going somewhere woo-hoo! :D/

Congratulations @CA1543 @thermom and many others with good news! <:-P =D>