Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

QOTD: Concerts - Have been wanting to get to one in Fenway Park for a few years - top choices were Billy Joel and James Taylor. Just got tickets to see Billy Joel in this Summer. James Taylor, unfortunately, conflicted with my annual golf weekend with DH.

Wow, bucket list concerts. Thanks to the original farm aid, living near a major metropolitan area, and few other big shows, I 've seen a lot. I had to peruse my spotify list, but Iā€™ll go with these three

Alabama Shakes
Radiohead
The Replacements

For the record, if I had to choose just 3 acts, I would choose some others that Iā€™ve already seen.

QOTD: Iā€™d have loved to see Queen with Freddie, but that ship sailed many years ago. I did finally experience a KISS concert at the age of 34 (and in my last trimester of pregnancy!) D1 thumped along to the base line.

We are going to see Kansas in April, and thatā€™s one of my top three. The other two would be Jethro Tull and Lindsey Stirling. (Edit: I just looked up Jethro Tullā€™s tour dates. They only have one scheduled in the U.S., and itā€™s in Durant, Oklahoma. What the hell???)

(As an aside, Dweezil Zappa is appearing locally this weekend on his ā€œ50 Years of Frankā€ tour and my H is bizarrely interested in going. Iā€™ve seen Frank, so I fear his son might be a disappointment.)

I am musically challenged, so no bucket lists =))

QOTD - I managed to see most of the musicians Iā€™ve ever wanted to see starting in the 60s and 70s (I even saw the Stones in their first-ever US tour in 1965 when I was 7!). Like Dave_N, growing up in a big city helped narrow my bucket list ā€“ I went to hundreds of concerts over the decades in venues large and small. There were some groups and artists I managed to see dozens of timesā€¦I was a total folkie and a Dead Head. And I have a very long list of people ā€“ living and dead ā€“ that Iā€™d want to see again. And again. And again.

I have three major regrets of having missed a few things: The first is that I was too young to go to Woodstock, and last three are the ones that literally got away: 1) missing Leonard Cohenā€™s last tour; 2) Amy Winehouse, and 3) Iā€™ll plagiarize @NerdMom88 and go with Queen with Freddie Mercury. RIP to all.

As for whom Iā€™d see in concert that I havenā€™t seen before, I think Iā€™m gonna go with BeyoncĆ©.

Bucket list concert - Holstā€™s ā€œThe Planetsā€.

It comes to Seattle Symphony every few years but never got around to go.
I played ā€œMarsā€ when I was in the middle school brass band. It gave me goose bumps. It was a challenging awesome piece.

Another reason is that when I first visited my husbandā€™s family (we had been dating for three months or so), his old car had a cassett tape of this music in the side pocket. I was like, ā€œOMG, you listen to The Planet???ā€

QOTD: Iā€™ve gone to tons of concerts during the 80ā€™s and 90ā€™s. Iā€™ve seen lots of major acts at stadiums and lots of shows at cool smaller venues in Boston and Providence.

Now that Iā€™m older I just canā€™t bring myself to go anymore, I get ringing in my ears and the shows are way past my bedtime,lol
The last live music Iā€™ve enjoyed were some steel drum players when we were in the Bahamas lying by the pool taking a nap. :slight_smile:

QOTD: Thatā€™s a tough one. I have no desire to go to huge concert halls to see anyone. I know itā€™s cheating, but Iā€™d love to see Weird Al and Tim Minchin (also a comedic musician, but with original music instead of parodies) again. Okay, trying to answerā€¦ Iā€™ll go with Beats Antique (world fusion electronica) who occasionally play my favorite venue here and feature belly dancers who add to the entertainment value. Hmmm, okay I donā€™t have all day to think of this, so Iā€™ll add Marcy Playground and Imagine Dragons.

eta: Iā€™ll second @NerdMom88 on Lindsey Stirling. Iā€™d love to see her dance around with her violin in person.

QOTD - I love this question! I also was a fortunate kid and lived in the SF Bay Area during my formative years and went to many concerts. However, I was too young to see Janice Joplin , Jimi Hendrix, the Beatles (although I saw some of them individually), or the Doors. Groups I loved and would see again if I could include Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young; Fleetwood Mac; The Moody Blues; Bruce Springsteen (with Clarence); and, of course, the Dead. Current performers I would see again include Sara Bareilles, One Republic, and the Dixie Chicksā€¦ plus many more (too many really).

QOTD:
I am a HUGH Meatloaf fan. Only saw him once a very long time ago.

In my lifetime have seen many of the big names (bruce, billy joel, Elton john, who, Rolling Stones).

QOTD: Alright, get ready.

My list of concertsā€¦

3 Rush

2 The Clash

1 The Sex Pistols

I switched from Rock & Roll to Punk/New Wave in 1980. I have seen a lot of great bands in VERY small venues (U2 in San Francisco with about 500 people for example).

@STEM2017 - I had no idea that XTC stopped touring in '82. I love XTC and have a lot of their music on my iPod.

@mtrosemom - You just reminded me that my other ā€œwish I were there momentā€ was the ā€œSummer of Loveā€ in Haight-Ashbury. I canā€™t believe it was 50 years ago!!

@HiToWaMom H & I took kid 2 (S20) to see a really neat concert at Symphony a few years ago - narrated by Leonard Nimoy with video by NASA. There were several space related pieces including a few of the planets. It was a great evening.

@jpc763, I saw The Clash in the early 80s!

Iā€™ve also seen a ton of great concerts over the decades (e.g., Dire Straits, the Kinks). My first date with DH was to see The Cure at an outdoor venue. And while I generally donā€™t like stadiums Iā€™ll happily make an exception for U2 (but I will probably bring earplugs JIC).

QOTD: I saw the Clash open for the Who (Joan Jett was the first opener) at Shea Stadium in 1982. I used to go to tons of shows, but havenā€™t now for several years. Was always sad I never saw the Chili Peppers or Alice in Chains. Ooh, @jmek15 Dire Straits too, add them to my list.

So glad the email and snail mail torrent has slowed to a trickle. D just has to finish out this week with quarterlies, then her semester will finally be over.

I saw Iggie Pop back in the day. The Who at the SuperBowl, the Stones, the Boss, Blondie & the Kinks also many years ago! And have seen many acts at a famous local club and also at Jazz Festivals in my home town. Would like to see Billie Joel (again), Adele, U2, and will noodle on others. Fun topic - love music!!

@CA1543, Billy Joel would be awesome to see again!! I saw him during ā€œThe Strangerā€ tour when I was a Junior in HS! I think it was the same year I saw Peter Frampton Comes Alive and Seals & Crofts. LOL SO long ago!!

@MA2012 Sounds amazing! I heard about the concert in which The Planets was accompanied by images of space. Thatā€™s the kind I want to go see/listen. Definitely my bucket list!

QOTD- I was also more into the alternative and new wave type stuff in the 80ā€™s, saw lots of great concerts including The Cult, Love and Rockets, U2, etcā€¦ If I was choosing a concert now Iā€™d probably go with Coldplay? I saw David Gray and Rey Lemontaigne a couple of years ago, excellent show.

@socalmom007 & @jmek15 - I listen to 80ā€™s and early 90ā€™s music (First Wave on Sirius XM) and have for years. The boys grew up on them so now we go to concerts together. I took Jack to Adam Ant, The Cure, Social Distortion and the English Beat over the past 2 years. Joe joined us at The Cure and the English Beat. Jack and I have tickets to Social Distortion at the end of March!

@socalmom007 - Did you ever go to concerts at The Backdoor at SDSU? I saw X, Ultravox and the Plimsouls there among other acts.