Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Many moms and dads here want to go to the concert of the artists who were popular in the 80’s.

My endodontist sang the whole time he worked on my tooth. He said he was in a rather successful band in the 80’s. I came home and typed in his name. I found his picture at the height of his heavy metal career… Wow.

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.2NPWw6lqyJ_kF5plRiXv0wDID3&w=128&h=164&c=7&rs=1&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.1

@jpc763 We were poor, so we sat outside the stadium at SDSU on the grass hill with a picnic and listed to the concerts they had there! It was actually a great time, lol. I think I listed to Dead or Alive… can’t remember who else…

@jmek15 - I think we have some overlapping tastes in music. Way back in middle or high school I LOVED Boston & Peter Frampton, Elton John, Queen - then the Clash, Police, Alex Chilton, Subdudes, Ramones …

Would love to see The Smiths again. But the old Smiths, way back when Morrissey and I were both 20 years old and we were both 50 lbs lighter.

My favorite “concerts” in college were Graham Chapman (of Monty Python) and George Carlin (AMAZING). The only college-sponsored music group I saw was Cheap Trick, so there you go. As far as big (and “big”) groups I have seen back when I was willing to battle the crowds: The Kinks, AC/DC, Ozzy Osbourne, J. Geils Band, Heart, and… (get ready to be jealous!)… Loverboy! C’mon, hot Canadian guys in tight leather pants – what’s not to love?! B-)

On a more useful note, I’ve been following a couple of threads regarding paying for college. It’s interesting to see where I stand in comparison:
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/1708640-how-much-did-will-you-have-saved-for-child-by-college-time.html
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/1956080-to-parents-of-full-pay-private-college-students.html

@HiToWaMom, that’s great! I wonder if he puts on his old duds (hair included!) to celebrate Halloween at work? Depending on one’s personality, that could be the worst day or best day to get your teeth worked on.

:))

@vandyeyes and @Ca1543 I am sorry to hear that your kids didn’t make it to finalist. I agree that it is super impressive that they made it to semis.

@whataboutcollege - Bummer that your DD didn’t move on in the Jefferson. Did they tell her very soon after her interview? My DD has the interview on Saturday and I am waiting to see how she does before booking a spring break trip. Seems like the chances are slim of making it to the next round.

In about 1986, Otis Day and the Nights played at the All Greek TGIF at San Diego State. That was an AWESOME concert!

Another non-college related post. Slow day at work.

If anyone follows Grown & Flown on FB you may have seen this already. There is an online site called familytreenow.com where you can search for people. I was shocked at how much personal info they had available (previous addresses, grandparents names, etc.). My D is over 18 so her info was available as well. It felt extremely intrusive.

Fortunately, it was easy to opt out using this link - http://www.familytreenow.com/optout/

@socalmom007 - Your post brought back tons of happy memories! So many of my evenings from spring through fall were spent sitting on the grass outside of SDSU’s OAT listening to concerts. I remember we felt like such adults when we were finally able to afford tickets to go inside!! I was so sad when they built over much of that open area.

QOTD is bringing back some great memories of my teens and early twenties. I saw the Rolling Stones at Shea Stadium, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull twice, Peter Frampton twice, Boston, Foghat, Billy Joel, Bad Company, Kansas and many others that I’ve forgotten. I had tickets to see Lynyrd Skynrd but their plane crashed like 2 weeks before the concert. Also, I went to what was supposed to be a Steppenwolf concert at West Point, but something happened and they couldn’t make it so their warm up band played. They were completely unknown at the time - Atlanta Rhythm Section, but they were fantastic and really put on a great show for everyone. Now the only concerts I go see are usually the NY Phil at Lincoln Center. My how things have changed!

Bucket List: U2, Coldplay and Lindsey Stirling with my D17 (who is also an incredible violinist) :slight_smile:

@Testingearly She was told they would let the interviewees know the results in a couple of days. And the status changed in a couple of days.

I’m five days behind on this thread, but the Jan 20th QOTD I can answer, at least! My D17 got into her ED school, thank God, so this whole stressful life event ended on December 15 for us. She’ll be off to Colorado College, a small LAC that is a perfect fit for her. We’re thrilled! Even though spouse and I wanted her to (want to) go to our alma mater, Skidmore, at least we think we can possibly con our younger daughter into wanting to be a Skiddie. :slight_smile:

Are there any other parents of class of 2017 here whose kid are going to go to Colorado College?

I’m still reminiscing about concerts and realized I forgot a big one - Simon and Garfunkel in Central Park!! It was amazing!!

@whataboutcollege, RE: Correcting FAFSA for the IRA rollover field. Which field is this on FAFSA? We had IRA rollover in 2015.

@phoenixmomof2 The son of a friend was mechanical engineering but decided he wanted to do audio engineering. He’s still an engineer, and I’m not sure his actual major. But, there is an active Audio Engineering Society he participates in and will look for internships/projects along those lines. Maybe something like that could be a start for your son toward his goal.

@MotherOfDragons You can do it. Think of your username namesake. Practice is key. If you aren’t Catholic, you can celebrate Lent whenever you want…

QOTD: Great memories, thanks for the fun topic! We saw The Who recently, and they were great (but old). I’ve seen U2 (during college), Billy Joel & Elton John, James Taylor, CS&N (C grew up here), Moody Blues. For my bucket list, I think I’d go with Pink Floyd (in the old days), Bruce Springsteen, and Sting/The Police. I also wish seeing David Bowie were still possible, @dfbdfb B-).

Alan Parsons lives nearby, and I see he’s playing some sort of concert locally in March. I should go, because I spent a lot of HS and college listening to APP albums. When I went to Disneyland Grad Night as a senior, the bands I remember were Berlin (they made them censor some lyrics) and Huey Lewis & the News (pre Back to the Future). I like a lot of '80s alternative rock, but not so much that it’s easy to narrow down a top 3.

@jpc763 Did you switch from Rock & Roll to Punk/New Wave in 1980 when a certain SF radio station changed formats? I listened to a DJ back then who brought standup comedians on live and talked his audience into liking the format change to alternative rock.

@LoveTheBard & @mtrosemom, here’s a thought to scare you (nearly typoed “scar you”, and maybe that, too): It’s been just over 25 years since the Russian Federation was formed out of the ashes of the USSR. The summer of love was only 24½ years before that.

Or, in the other direction, the Summer of Love was closer in time to the end of World War I (not II, but I) than we are right now to the Summer of Love.

@jpc763, I forgot about Adam Ant! Plus Men w/o Hats. I remember seeing Tears for Fears in the 80 at an outdoor concert in Park City in the summer. It was fun. @nocturne21, I was lucky enough to see Lynryd Skynryd when they played at Day on the Green in Oakland, CA. Day on the Green concerts were excellent.

@dfbdfb… aawk! Go ahead, make me feel older than I am.

Was anyone else in Central Park for that B-52’s 20th anniversary Earth Day concert? I lived half a block away and spent too much time on my rooftop deck pre-gaming, as it is now called. Gorgeous day.

I saw the Clash with the Who in LA in the early 80s! So awesome! Had a hard time putting up with the person in the car we drove down in who kept complaining about the fact that the Clash was filling in for Loverboy, lol. Other most awesome concert was Bob Dylan with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers as his band. Tom Petty and the HBs did a set, Dylan did a solo set, and then everyone together. Good times! Saw Tom Petty at Fenway a couple of years ago–my happy place.

My college town got a lot of great acts passing through–Elvis Costello, Talking Heads (saw them on the Stop Making Sense tour at the Santa Barbara County Bowl–amazing!), all those southern California soft rock people–Jackson Browne, individual Eagles, but never the whole band (Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Joe Walsh), Crosby, Stills, and Nash (but not Young), . Tom Petty played the college gym, lol!

(Also, my first concert ever was Elvis Presley–it was gross.)

Still on my bucket list (but I generally hate large arena shows these days, so don’t see these happening):

Springsteen
U2