Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@RightCoaster Interesting. My new avatar is from Star Wars.

Congrats on the confirmed stacking, @Dolemite!!!

@Ynotgo ā€“ I was wondering about your avatar but figured it was another cultural icon I had missed!

@Dolemite --congrats on the giant MAC! Is there not an issue about needing to have a student to swap for TE or something like that? If your D decides not to attend USC, can you transfer the TE elsewhere? Truly a wonderful benefit!

@CT1417 No swap needed. The stipulation is that schools accept as many TE students coming in as they have going out - does not matter the specific TE school. At my school they have 4 spots for Faculty and 4 spots for Staff and my D has already been approved by my work and the TE person at USC told me she marked her as approved at USC so sheā€™s good.

@Dolemite ā€”EXCELLENT news! And can she swap USC out for another school if she decides she likes another place better? Of course, the combination of TE & guaranteed 1/2 tuition is a tough one to beat!

So am guessing that the transaction works in your favor when requesting TE from a large school as they will probably have more of their own faculty children leaving?

@Ynotgo I love your avatar, meant to comment on it yesterday. My son has a hat with it that heā€™s pulled back out to wear recently. :slight_smile:

@Dolemite Congratulations on the Big Mac, Tuition Exchange, and that the two stack.

@Dolemite Youā€™ve graduated from Big MAC to Big STACK!

Congratulations!

@Dolemite ā€“ Woohoo ā€“ great news!

@STEM2017 - Big Stack ā€“ I love it!

@Dolemite congrats on the Big Mac meal vs only the sandwich. Make it a large please.

Huge congrats for the supersized MAC @Dolemite !

@stem2017 - Now we will see Stack ids :wink:

Last day of mid terms today so son came home with a group of friends to celebrate. Son thought he did OK, so thatā€™s a good sign.
They are down in the basement watching movies, playing games, eating/drinking everything in our house. Meanwhile, the acceptance letter sits on our table unread, arggggggghhhh. The waitingā€¦

Catching up on 5 days of posts! :slight_smile:

5th year - so I know this is old news but I figured since I asked the question - Iā€™d let you know I read and appreciate all the responses! - ok so:

@carachel2 D was accepted into a 5 year program with at least a year of co-ops built in - no tuition during that time but I think $ for room & board will still be required

@socalmom007 Iā€™m starting to realize reading through several threads that the UCā€™s often come with a 5th year due to not getting classes timely. That is something we will need to consider. @stencils I think this IS something we will be focusing on and asking the finalists.

@itsgettingreal17 Couldnā€™t she do a year abroad and still graduate in 4 years? or is it some special program?

@eandesmom I love the suggestion of taking classes at local CC for the summer - I have to remember that and see if they would transfer in to wherever D ends up. Iā€™m reading that a full semester is 5 classes, not 4. Seems like a lot. Adding @dfbdfb @IABooks here as you also confirmed 5 classes per semester, yikes. I think thatā€™s especially tough if classes are all science/math, but what do I know. Kids seem to take on so much more these days!

@CT1417 I guess reasons for a possible 5th year include: overall course load, access to classes, travel abroad, change in major. Up until now, Iā€™ve only factored $$ for 4 years and Iā€™m worried!

@Testingearly I think if I had realized graduating from a UC school in 4 years was a problem, I wouldā€™ve definitely pulled the plug on those applications. We were already gun-shy because of the overcrowding problem there. I wish weā€™d known sooner, especially since weā€™re out of state, so no $ is expected. Hopefully D gets into her ED2 school and UC never becomes an option!!

@snoozn I suppose itā€™s lucky your Dā€™s 5 1/2 year plan was in-state! I wish I could get mine to seriously consider our instate option! I really wish I had been on CC a few years ago!!

@Dave_N Wow, that sounds like a ton of AP credit! Hopefully it will all transfer!

@WhereIsMyKindle Iā€™ve noticed a lot of the study abroad programs are either about the same or even cheaper than the primary college campus. I guess just airfare can be an issue.

@RightCoaster yes, I think my D will also pursue her Masters or PhD so more $$$$ @Ynotgo also hoping that PhD is funded.

@MotherOfDragons I love that youā€™re on the 30 year plan! Thatā€™s the way to go!!

I have about 12 more pages to read, so be back later!

@whataboutcollege Did you officially hear back on the Presidential Scholarship from Rutgers? I hear some Honors college invites went out yesterday, I guess most are still waiting on scholarships though.

@RightCoaster same situation, applied to 3 safety schools EA and got into all three. D did apply ED2, but doesnā€™t help with waiting. It is brutal. D wishes she applied ED1 instead of ED2 to be done with it. But even so, there are no guarantees and we still could be waiting until April for all her ā€œsecond choiceā€ schools.

@cleoforshort I had to laugh when you said ā€œsomething sciencey.ā€ My D has been using that term since 4th grade lol.

@vandyeyes Congrats on the scholarship!

@twoforone99 How is D recovering? Our semester ends tomorrow am Iā€™m hopeful D pulled out a C for the semester in Physics. Weā€™re waiting on one test grade. No EA for us, but waiting on ED2 mid-Feb.

@Testingearly How is your daughter feeling? Is she finally back to normal?

@dfbdfb thatā€™s great about the invite to the Danaā€™s scholarship and nice for your D to be recognized for the science program! Another shout out for ā€œscienceyā€

I just scheduled round 1 of Sā€™s meningitis shot. Thank you all for the reminder! (S wonā€™t be so happy though.)

@mtrosemom --way to get it done!!

@jmek15 asked: QOTD Unrelated to College - What are your top 3 ā€œbucket listā€ concerts? Only ones you havenā€™t seen yet, not someone you want to see again. Hmmm, Iā€™m going to say David Bowie, Gregory Isaacs and 3rd? Too many tied for 3rd that Iā€™d love to see: U2, Cold Play, Bruno Mars, Clash, English Beat, Chili Peppers, Jimi Hendrix, and plenty of others.

Some of my favorites which I saw multiple times: Pink Floyd, YES, Sting, Dead, Santana, Paul Simon, list goes onā€¦ Sad to say, but Iā€™m feeling too old for concerts, maybe if you give me the VIP treatment with box seats, food and private bathroom LOL!!! We saw a Tom Petty concert that way and it was awfully nice!

@Dolemite laughing at your ā€˜concert in the wombā€™ comment. When I was pregnant with my D, I didnā€™t take her to any concerts, but I played Bob Marley in the car daily. I find his music very calming and now she does as well!

@LoveTheBard and @DaveN and @nw2this and @AngelaD Congrats on USC!! and good luck on the full tuition scholarship! Also@DaveN congrats on U of W!

@twoforone99 @cleoforshort @Testingearly Congrats on UVA!! <:-P <:-P <:-P

@whataboutcollege Congrats on Rutgers HC! <:-P

@Ynotgo <:-P @MSHopeful <:-P @Dolemite <:-P congrats on USC!!! Dolemite - great news on the tuition exchange and big stack! Thanks @STEM2017

Wow, the great news continues!! @socalmom007 Congrats on MIlls and the scholarship! <:-P

@thermom Congrats on Binghamton! <:-P I know, this waiting is brutal!! [-O<

@RightCoaster Glad to hear your son is partying. Tomorrow is the last day of the semester for us. canā€™t wait to hear about the acceptance letter!

@Fishnlines29 D is trying to combine a lot of things, so studying abroad during the school year is not ideal (except breaks). She will do 3 summers abroad and possibly a year post grad. The language flagships include a mandatory year abroad after the student completes requirements for their degree.

@Fishnlines29 D is on the road to full recovery. She had the same dinner as the rest of the family last night and tonight. Thank you for asking!

@Fishnlines29 The Rutgers honor college invitation said the scholarships will be sent next week. Hope what we saw earlier are still there when the official site opens :slight_smile: