Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Congrats to all of those who got good news

Condolences to @BigPapiofthree and @novicemom23kids , hang in there

@Dolemite, USCali offers 1/2 of studentā€™s airfare up to $200. (up to $60 for California, Nevada or Arizona)

@NerdMom88 thanks for the info.

Looks like the son17ā€™s first RD acceptance came today. Big thick letter from Clarkson in the mail, will have son open when he gets home. Heā€™s still waiting on others like many of your kids though.

Good luck to you guys figuring out scholarship awards, that is exciting.

@RightCoaster Congrats!!

@RightCoaster That is great news! I am sure it is hard to wait until he gets home. Congrats!

Questionā€¦has anyone heard anything about letters in the mail from NM for the students that did not make NMF? I just heard something about this.

@itsgettingreal17 ā€¦I am here. I had to take a break for awhile. Thanks for checking on me. :wink:

There is a thread on no news being good news in terms of NMSF to NMF:

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/national-merit-scholarships/1954901-the-no-news-is-good-news-nmf-rejection-acceptance-worry-thread-class-of-2017-p1.html

S is narrowing down his choices. He has decided that he isnā€™t interested in one school, so therefore he doesnā€™t need to complete the honors college app. I would like for him to have all choices on the table, but he truthfully wonā€™t chose this one, so I am accepting his desire to limit the essays.

@CT1417, BHP is the Business Honors Program at U. Texas McCombs business school. While Mccombs has a class of close to 1000 students, BHP is a competitive major that enrolls 120 students in their own major and program. Has own recruiting office, small classes, and structured like a four year MBA program. 100% job placement for last 5 years.

Congrats to all who got the USC scholarships and invites. It is very impressiveā€¦I attended the USC/UCLA game last night at USC. A great atmosphere. Best wishes to all

@RightCoaster, Congrats on latest acceptanceā€¦

Wow, congrats to all those with good news re: acceptances and MAC opportunities! Tea and sympathy to those receiving disappointing news - this process does seem to be bewildering at times.

My D got some good news from Binghamton last night, so now she officially has a choice of where to go :slight_smile: Theyā€™re good options too, but sheā€™s really got her heart set on a smaller LAC, so we continue to wait, and wait, and wait until March :-w

@cleoforshort @STEM2017 Haha, I listen to WPLR when Iā€™m sick of the news on NPR. Living in eastern Long Island, most of the radio stations I pick up are from CT and RI. In case you were wondering, the Wig Master is still on the air.

@BigPapiofthree that BHP is a very good opportunity. I tried to talk son17 into applying there ( he wouldnā€™t get into BHP) as I think itā€™s a great place to go to school outside of New England. Good biz program and the area has a lot going for it right now. Son17 did not really want to go far away from home and prefers smaller environments though.
Good luck to your son!

@thermom Congrats on Bing! S was deferred. A bit annoyed about that but confident he will eventually be accepted.

Growing up as a rock/ new wave fan on eastern Long Island was no easy feat. Radio stations were not existent, except for WRCN which was pretty bad. For me it was records -> cassettes -> CDs. On a clear day I could listen to WLIR or WBAB.

My kids have no idea what Iā€™m talking about when I try to explain. Feel so old.

@thermom congrats on the acceptance and @STEM2017 bummer on deferral, I hate those too, I hope he gets in later! What schools is your son leaning towards?

Radio:

I was fortunate to grow up with the excellent WBRU out of Brown University. Alternative station that was always bringing musical acts into Providence. I canā€™t believe I did this, but I would actually sneak out with my girlfriend or friends and go out to the local bars at night and watched some awesome shows, on school nights in high school!!
Great memories. Ha, I would not be too happy if my kids were doing this today.

My son17 has taken fascination with my excellent record collection from the 80ā€™s. He has record player and spins tunes in his room. He seems to like The English Beat and The Clash the most at the moment.

@RightCoaster He has several decent options. But from the very beginning our plan was to weigh all options against Binghamton. But plans change. Lol.

Heā€™s most excited about Ohio State for aerospace engineering but the price tag is high and they notched UP the target this year for the National Buckeye Scholarship so it may be unaffordable. He understands.

Beyond OSU no really strong favorite.

@Ynotgo every time I see your avatar now I think of Wu Tang Clan. ( you can google it, ha) . Donā€™t ask me why I know this, seriously.

Big MAC alert! Just spoke with the Tuition Exchange Liaison at USC and D17 is approved for TE there and confirmed that it stacks with merit up to full tuition + $8K for room and board. Now have to see about visiting.