Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@2muchquan Thanks. My S took it in September (the first one with writing changes), so may be he got lucky. No one got above 30 @ his school so far

@CT1417 the way she sees it is she either takes more physics (engineering) or more spanish (arts & science). Sheā€™s still trying to decide which one she despises less. It may turn out to be physics since sheā€™s been working with a really amazing physics tutor for the past month, and tends much more towards practical vs. theoretical things in most aspects of her life. She liked the practical AP Comp Sci curriculum more than the theoretical IB comp sci.

@Ynotgo saturday (april 2) we froze our noogies off going to Alcatraz, but each day got steadily warmer. Tuesday evening was the sweat-fest and the locals were like ā€œthis is SO weird!ā€.

D17 was supposed to take the ACT this Saturday but we rescheduled it to June 11. Just too much going on right now for her to really concentrate on it.

My S took the ACT and made a 34 C score. He was good with that. His essay came in at a 27 and he said he didnt want to take it again just because of the writing. I saw were you could protest the writing score and send in $50 more dollars and they would look at your essay again. Not happening here. Enough is enough!!! We are moving on!

DD had taken the ACT three times, once end of freshman year for ā€œpracticeā€ (her choice) and got a 31, once end of soph year and got a 32, and lastly this past December and got a 33, including 36 in English. She was done. UNTIL she found out she had to take the state mandated sitting during a school day last month. She said it was like taking a completely different test, especially the math and science. She just got her scores and she went back to a 31, though she maintained her 36 in English and did extremely well on the new writing section. Iā€™m just wondering if anyone elseā€™s child felt there was a difference between a National sitting and a state one.

As an aside, she wished the schools that she is considering would superscore ACT and SAT together. She got an 800 on math SAT. I told her not to hold her breath.

S took the school-required sitting of the ACT in March. He only has the SAT to compare it to, but he didnā€™t do as well on the math section as we expected because he didnā€™t bone up on his algebra! (heā€™s in 2nd year calc). He did better in the science than expected, especially as there were chemistry questions and he hasnā€™t had HS chemistry yet because he opted for 2nd year physics this year, chem next. He also did better in English than we thought he would, but got a 27 on the essay. Writing isnā€™t his forte, so weā€™ll take it and smile. He really didnā€™t study for it because he was so busy with build season for FRC, but his score was good enough that he is done with the ACT. He is going to take the June SAT as a final test try, and then he is DONE with standardized testing. Wheeew.

@disshar Iā€™ve heard a story similar to yours. My D is taking a district-mandated ACT later this month. I heard that the proctoring made a lot of difference, in that the proctors during the school-day test were horrible, and shortened the amount of time that the kids were supposed to have (started late, or ended early?). Not sure how much truth to that, but it could be a reason. Iā€™m hoping ours goes smoothly, but what are you gonna do? My D got a 34C in October, and she thinks she can get a 35 and improve her writing this time. Weā€™ll see, but Iā€™m good with what sheā€™s got.

@mtrosemom - 27 in ACT writing is good which equivalent to 9 in old ACT.

Thanks @srk2017. I am not versed in the ACT so I donā€™t have good benchmarks to compare to. Iā€™ll tell him. He will be happy!

So, anyone who has chosen to receive the barrage of emails from colleges (by checking the infamous box)ā€¦do you ever feel bad ā€˜unsubscribingā€™ from school emails? Funny, but I feels bad for some schools.

Nope, not one bit. :smiley: If S isnā€™t interested in the school, I tell him to unsubscribe so he can see things he wants in his mailbox.

@2muchquan My D apparently checked the box. We have the ones from schools sheā€™s not interested in auto sent to a ā€œclutterā€ folder. The rest also auto sorts to a college folder.

S says heā€™s been unsubscribing from lots. Occasionally heā€™ll ask if he should keep one he didnā€™t know about.
It got me to do some unsubscribing myself.

Iā€™ve unsubscribed D from schools I feel certain she could never get into (why would Princeton send us mail? Itā€™s ridiculous!) but then also D has enjoyed communicating with the admissions counselors from two of the schools she wants to apply to in the fall.

Do any schools actually look at the ACT writing? S has done it both times but I am not sure of the benefit.

We too are unsubscribing like crazy.

Geez. Your kids are ACT scoring machines!!
My D17 will take the ACT for the first time this Saturday. Well, thatā€™s her first admission related test ever!

She is running around with resume in hand trying to get a summer job in the neighborhood. She wants to work, read books, chill, have good time with her friends this summer!!

@HiToWaMom ā€¦my D scored well but not a 36 in one sitting! So there is definitely room here in the normal kid club!!

My D will work her part-time job at a sandwich shop and I have helicoptered like crazy in order to make at least part of her summer free for reading and enjoying time with friends! She is going to Germany for three weeks but after that she is working, chilling with family and friends, reading and will work on apps in August. I hear you!

My S opted out when submitted PSAT app, so not that much mail or email. He did get U of Alabama reception invitation but I forgot about it and didnā€™t go.

@carachel2 , You are the first person I know to helicopter your child so that she will have fee time. Thatā€™s so great!

I thought this group is for helicopter parents only :slight_smile:

@2muchquan the proctoring was an issue at our school as well. There was also a huge issue with snacks during breaks. Hard to do your best when you arenā€™t allowed to eat the snack you brought and end up with a huge headache because of medical stuff. She didnā€™t need accommodations for a regular test date, but would have if we had known how the in school sitting was going to play out. Can you tell Iā€™m bitter!