Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

I was trying to figure out how many CS majors there are at the 6 UC’s and Cal Poly, most of the schools don’t break out the data within the college of engineering. It seems like each school has 100-300 ish computer science majors. That means there are only maybe 1500, upper end 2000, kids in all of California able to study computer science at a quality public. That’s crazy if you think about the number of kids applying, many of those CS departments have under a 5% acceptance rate. Lots of heartbroken nerds out there this week. I’m not sure why these schools haven’t expanded their computer science departments, but they can certainly cherry pick the best of the best.

And no offense to Santa Cruz, Riverside, or Merced, but the high stats kids don’t tend to apply there.

@Fishnlines29 they’re both waiting on NYU, he has some ivies and CM outstanding. If he gets into any of those schools she has a quality/affordable acceptance ready to go, but I think their odds are getting very slim.

@socalmom007 Ok, well I guess we’ll know within the week! I’m rooting for them!

You’re so sweet @Fishnlines29 , thank you! I’m rooting for them too, but we’re trying to convince them they do have options where they could see each other often. SLO to Irvine isn’t terrible. As slo is our most economical option we could kick in a bit of spending money to make seeing each other more feasible.

I missed my birth year and wedding year pages, so here I am to say that 1993 was a pretty good year – birth of my first child! She graduates college this May. Don’t do the math!

@Fishnlines29 - Just to clarify, it was Yale-NUS – not the one in New Haven – that rejected her. Yale (the one everyone thinks of when you say Yale) was her first (and possibly own true) love and she got in SCEA. :wink:

@LoveTheBard Yes, I do recall!

Not sure how accurate it is, but college counselors at our S17 school did not recommend applying to both a school and its international counterpart (such as NYU/NYU-Abu Dhabi and presumably Yale and the Singapore program); they said it’s unlikely for students to gain admission to both since (on some level) the schools have a vested interest in giving admission to only one or the other to protect yield (again!); with double admission, one school necessarily takes a hit (so to speak) to their numbers.

@vandyeyes - Too bad we didn’t have that recommendation from the start; it does make sense. The application said that the two processes are independent, so we took them at their word. No biggie.

Just reread my post CS at California publics, the numbers I was giving were for freshmen admits… not sure it that made sense.

Related to how competitive colleges in CA, D didn’t get to her first choice major of CS at USC, instead get to her second choice…pol econ. And they can’t accommodate her in fall 2017, instead they welcome her in spring 2018!

D looked over everything and then said" this is a nice folder and sticker here!!" :wink: She is also learning the lesson about listening to your dad…he told her not to apply!!

@socalmom007 It’s a LOT more than that. :slight_smile:

You can find enrollment numbers on each colleges ASEE profile (as long as the CS program is associated with the college of engineering and/or is reported). It will break it down by year (Fresh/Soph/Junior/Senior).

http://profiles.asee.org/

Some totals for CS:

UC-B: 1,025
UC-Davis: 812(outside of the college of engineering) and 303 (inside the COE).
UC-Irvine: 217 and 231(in COE)
UCLA: 667 and 331(CS&Engineering)
UC-Merced: 640
UC-Riverside: 439
UC-San Diego: 1657 BS, 16 BA and 56 CS with specialization in Bioinformatics
UC-SB: 378
UC-SC: 488(Computer Game Design), 1,639 CS (BA and BS).

The CSU’s also offer CS (CSU-LA for example has 634).

It’s crazy how popular CS has gotten, especially at “elite CS” schools, like the UC’s, UIUC, Georgia Tech, etc.

I’m not sure what I’m looking at on this link @Gator88NE ? From their common data sets Cal Poly SLO had a target enrollment of 130 freshmen CS majors for the 2017 year, and UCI 332 freshman enrolled in its 2016 CS freshman class.

It’s simply a way to get a feel for the “Total” enrollment in CS.

Lets look at the info for UC-Irvine. The ASEE data is self-reported by the College of Engineering. At some schools (like UC-Irvine), the CS program is not in the COE, or they have a program in the COE, but a 2nd program that’s in another college.

Using the data below, we see that they had 81+83= 164 Self-reported Freshman in CS (1/2 in the COE, the other 1/2 out).

Computer Science and Engineering (B.S.) (Not in the College of Engineering)
Fresh 1st Year: 81
Soph 2nd Year: 43
Junior 3rd year: 55
Senior 4th/5th year: 38
Full Time Total: 217

Computer Science and Engineering (B.S.)
Fresh 1st Year: 83
Soph 2nd Year: 39
Junior 3rd Year: 47
Senior 4th/5th Year: 62
Full Time Total: 231

Why does the number drop from the 1st year to the 2nd? That likely students switching majors; such as Data Science, Informatics, and Software Engineering. Notice that UCI has a significant number of students enrolled in those programs, and they all start to ramp up enrollment after the freshman or sophomore years,

If I’m trying to figure out how many CS seats there are for first time freshmen at the 6 UC’s and Cal Poly where am I going wrong then? 1500- 2000 seats in CA publics for freshmen applicants seemed about right? My point being, it’s not a lot of seats for how many students we have applying to California schools for CS.

After a long winning streak, looking like the first rejection since we received nothing from USC today. A bit of a let down, but also some relief since now we don’t have to concern ourselves with whether we could afford it without too much stress. Not long after the mail didn’t come, who should call but our current #1 choice UCLA checking in to see if he knew how to submit his SIR and make sure he was going to Bruin Day. A bit thankful SC made the decision for us. Go Bruins!

@youcee It’s bittersweet receiving this kind of news, but hopefully brings clarity to a better option.

@socalmom007 Not sure where you’re seeing CS acceptance rates of 5%. While not much higher, the few I can find are closer to 10%. UCLA publishes theirs and it was 10.3% last year. Assuming they accept 3 times as many as they want at Cal Poly, they were just over 10% last year, but probably about 9% this year based on their published projections. So I think 5% is too low, but, yeah, 10% isn’t a whole heck of a lot higher.

@HSCounselor2 Yes, it kept us from the temptation of stretching ourselves too thin and always having to worry about the cost and not getting full enjoyment out of it.

I know I heard Cal Poly was more in the 5% range this year, but it’s difficult to say for sure without concrete data. I “think” their yield may be higher for CS? I wish I could find where I read that… it was something like 4700 applicants for 130 spots…

DS got USC(al) admissions packet today in snail mail. No MAC at all. Given his stats, they should know that he will get into all UCs and still they expect him to attend at full cost! Vandy is still dandy :slight_smile: