Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@Dolemite Love the new avatar! Congratulations!

And
 we have a winner!

D17 walked in from playing percussion in the musical, swept past me, and said “Hi – performance went great – by the way, I’m going to UAH!”

Her only reason for hesitation was the possibility of changing her mind about her major, and she decided that wasn’t a strong enough possibility to counterbalance the feeling of fit. I guess this means I have a reason to head south when it gets cold!

Congratulations @NerdMom88 <:-P <:-P

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the great advice and posts. It has been a very trying year with all the drama of applications, SAT/ACT, recommendation letters leading up to acceptances, deferrals and rejections. We were just about to head out to LAX for D’s red eye to NYC but D just received her FA from Columbia University. It does not come even close to what Stanford has offered. With a little sadness but lots of joy she has decided.

She has decided to go to STANFORD!!! She has gone CARDINAL!!!

Thank you ALL for all your support and advice.

@Dolemite Congrats Dolemite - I think that was the early favorite too :slight_smile: Love the new avatar!! <:-P

@NerdMom88 Congrats to your daughter on her decision! I like how she told you ‘in passing’, that’s so cute! It sounds like the right move :slight_smile: <:-P

@gr8pl8 And Stanford it is! You both must be thrilled. Congrats <:-P and sorry we will miss you in NYC! :slight_smile:

@Dolemite - Congrats! I thought it was going to go down that way
Does the TE come into play? Love the new avatar!

@gr8pl8 - Congrats on Stanford! My D will likely end up there. Sadly, we did not have the same luck with FA that you did.

I feel you, @robNNN.

And congrats to all those who have made their choices

@Fishnlines29 - Thank you. It is the right choice for her. I believe she will be very happy there. D’s has been there twice. Once for debate camp where she won first place. Second for state debate tournament where she got to the octo-finals with partner. All good memories
hope for many good memories to come. She loves NYC and really quite sad that she will not be a part of that lifestyle but already looking forward to going to Oxford with Stanford Bing International Studies Program. One door closes another opens. Thrilled in LA!

@LoveTheBard - Thank you!!! We own a small business and it has been a challenge the last few years. The FA is a godsend. Even if Stanford or Columbia or Pomona did not give us anything we would have sold our house to make it happen for her. We never imagined that she would be accepted to Stanford or Columbia.

I hope your D chooses Stanford also
we can meet on move in day!

Congrats to all who have made their choices
 <:-P

@NerdMom88, that’s great! Has she signed up for orientation? We are going to the June 11/12 one. We are 3.5 hours away, which at least is a doable drive, although we’d love for her to be much closer!

Wonderful news @NerdMom88 and @gr8pl8! Congratulations on the decisions.

Congrats to all those who recently made decisions!! And we are hanging in there with those left on the fence - hoping to hop over - TODAY!

Congratulations @NerdMom88! I’d be right with you on the visits South! It sounds like UAH is a good fit for your D. I’m glad she went with her heart.

Congratulations @gr8pl8! Stanford is a pretty darn good second choice, LOL!

Congratulations to anyone I might have missed and good luck to those still making the big decision.

I wanted to share a poignant moment that my son and I each experienced separately, yet equally impactful, while on our last/second day of UChicago’s Admitted Student Days yesterday. We both took it as a sign of confirmation and affirmation (laugh as you may) of destiny to attend the school.

Folks may not recall that S17 was deferred ED to Brown in December before going ED2 to UChicago. For his application to Brown he spent a great deal of time trying to strike just the right balance of expression of personal passion and accomplishment with interesting and compelling writing. One of the last lines in his “why Brown” essay alluded to knowing that all things must be possible at a school where even boulders rest in trees. Brown has an interesting bronze sculpture on its grounds by Italian sculptor Penone which, indeed, has a huge rock held aloft in a barren tree; we both found it quite striking.

Yesterday in the courtyard of UChicago’s Booth School of Business we each separately stumbled on a second Penone sculpture of (this time multiple) massive boulders resting in trees. I nearly fell over.

Happily, UChicago’s Penone sculpture is a permanent acquisition and instillation; I remember feeling a bit disappointed when I read that Brown’s piece was “on loan”. So there!

It has been interesting watching how all the college admits/rejects are playing out at S17’s high school. After Brown took at least an initial (and statistically probably final) pass on S17 with their ED deferral, 2 other students got acceptances RD
both are likely going to walk away however (one for Hopkins, the other for CalTech
I know, how does one craft a list to apply to both? Go figure.). So, in the end, no one from our high school will head to Providence next fall.

As I believed would happen when this process all began, my son has landed where he was meant to be. We just didn’t know where that was when our journey began. Thankfully, someone else far greater has worked out all the details, and in so doing underscored again for me that our destinies are not entirely ours to determine.

Bon Voyage and Congrats to all! =D>

@Dolemite Congrats on the great choice and news.
@gr8pl8, Congrats and glad the FA worked out well at Stanford.

And to the many others with recent decisions, congrats to you as well. Sorry, O could not mention each one. Too many happening quickly.

@vandyeyes
So happy for you ds! That was such a moving share! You are right that for many of our kids this journey is not ending where we thought they might be - but rather where they will be
 and it seems surprisingly guided by a wisdom greater then our own

Well, I guess it’s official - we submitted our deposit for WashU!

I even changed my profile picture - though who knows how legible it is
 :slight_smile:

@crazym0m and @srk2017 - congrats on Vandy!

@Dolemite Hurrah, Princeton! Love the new avatar!

@NerdMom88 Congrats on UAH!

@gr8pl8 Go, Stanford!

@thshadow Congrats on Wash U!

And @vandyeyes I’m glad that you and your son are feeling clear about Chicago. I would have liked my daughter to have applied. But as you say, they land where they are meant to be.

@paveyourpath - Thank you! As you know it has been tears of joy and tears of sadness
what a ride it has been.

@NolaCAR @BigPapiofthree @mamaedefamilia - Thank you and I hope all the paperwork that needs to get to where they must go will be done properly and quickly. Wish you all the best.

Stanford
not a bad second choice for D
It was first choice for us! I have a smile you can’t wipe off!

@vandyeyes - My D also wrote about the Penone sculpture for her U Chicago essay. Brilliant minds think alike!

She will, however, likely be trading Penone’s boulders in trees for the second largest collection of Rodin sculptures in the world. :wink:

You certainly can’t go wrong with either!