Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Love this ^^^ runs off to play with her fancy dancy graphics software, i.e., Powerpoint and Preview

There. Thanks for the great idea, @srk2017 !

Recent congrats to @texasmissy @educationfan @NEMomof4 @mageecrew @jcstepmom @CA1543 and more!
And I’m loving the nifty new avatars!

Hugs to those of us still without college selections, especially those with kids still choosing. @Momtojandk and @STEM2017 @MSHopeful @SincererLove @soxmom and others.

My DS is just at the fear of commitment stage. He has already filled in his “leaning” on the form for the HS’s senior honors night list, but not ready to click “Yes” for the college.

There – my new indecision avatar. Maybe showing this to DS17 will get him to commit?

Yup, ask the magic 8 ball :))

Thanks @MotherOfDragons for a more personalized Penn avatar - since he loves Ben, it feels right to me!!

We do still have a number of DC’s undecided - with 5 days to go. Hope things sort themselves out. @Ynotgo – we totally had the fear of commitment stage & a chart literally comparing 6 or so different schools on a number of criteria. He read it a couple of times - got down to what seemed to offer most of what he wanted and a leap of faith. As I shared with some I think this article is helpful - nothing is perfect so don’t go in thinking that. Just like high school, there will be ups & downs and even after all these many months of work and visits, we just try to make a good decision - nothing’s perfect.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2017/04/25/advice-for-graduating-high-school-seniors-dont-romanticize-college/?utm_term=.f60a0d30b5fa

Great for recent decisions by DC’s of @texasmissy @educationfan @NEMomof4 @mageecrew @jcstepmom and some others

Stay calm & hopefully a decision will be forthcoming soon (well by a few days anyway) @Ynotgo @Momtojandk and @STEM2017 @MSHopeful @SincererLove @soxmom and maybe a few others.

Next comes custom tshirts with custom avatars and either kids wear them to move-in or parents wear them to parents weekend :slight_smile:

We are almost committed to Vandy, just not clicking the button and change the avatar yet! D posted on her social media that she is going there!

Meanwhile, I have friends who lectured me to persuade D to change her minds. D said she is indecisive person, but now she made up her minds and she is done and gone!! I have been emotional and feel that I should have persuaded her to go to MIT or UCHICAGO, wanting the best for your kid. But she is having none of it!! “Mom, I will be Allright no matter where I go, My success is not determined by the college I go to”

While I can’t help be proud of the fact that I have a hand in raising this confident, mature and practical young lady in front of me, I feel bittersweet that she picked the cheapest option that might have given her more options too. No engineering in Chicago and hardly any humanites at MIT. I am a mess, nonetheless.

@SincererLove - Anchor Down! Your D made a right decision. My DS gave up U Penn and JHU BME to go to Vandy. There is always grad school.

@SincererLove – wow – so close!!! If she is excited about Vandy – I hope folks will let he make a decision she likes - it is a wonderful school & Nashville is interesting and fun. Hang in there.

@SincererLove, can’t MIT students take humanities classes at Harvard?

@SincererLove Congrats to your daughter!! I agree with her. She will be successful at Vandy. And hope you won’t get offended but I don’t feel a lot of sympathy for someone who picked the cheapest option at “lowly” Vanderbilt. :wink:

Son committed to Yale today. He spent the past two days at Columbia to learn about the Science Research Fellow Program they had invited him to participate in. While the program offerings were very attractive, he felt more comfortable at Yale. Very happy to have the decision made and move on to the next stage.

@SincererLove, if its posted on social media, it is official. Congrats. Vandy is dandy.
@CT1417, Congrats on Yale. Amazing…

And, we’re done! She’s frolicking on the Stanford campus now with an unstoppable grin. She’s wearing a ratty Stanford sweatshirt that is way oversized because I bought it when I was pregnant 18 years ago. With her. Life is crazy sometimes. Best wishes to everyone here with big announcements recently. I’ve been reading them all with a big smile on my face. I can’t believe the opportunities all our kids have. They are an amazing bunch. I am seriously so happy for all of them.

Congrats to all those with decisions. I’m still waiting to change my avatar!

Is there a thread on how to prepare and what to pack ?

@WhatSally There is this thread: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/1769222-checklist-for-parents-of-incoming-freshmen.html#latest

Love your avatar @CA1543 :)) great job @MotherOfDragons =D>

Congratulations @picklesarenice <:-P <:-P

Finally, Congratulations @CT1417 <:-P <:-P :D/ =D>
I loved to listen to the bells in Harkness Tower. :x :O)