Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

We haven’t received a bill yet that will tell us what the actual tuition for either college. My sons will generate a e-bill on the 10th of July and the balance is due August 1. Not much time to rearrange funds! My daughters school hasn’t given/sent a bill either. Are we the only ones that are planning on sending actual checks for payment? I am not too hot on electronically transferring money to the schools.

@twoforone99 – I am going to see if I can have the 529 administrator mail the payment directly to the school. For older son, I did pay electronically, but it was more difficult than typical online bill payment. (Had to provide bank routing # and account # within university’s system instead of simply setting the university up as a payee in my typical online banking system.)

Agree that the schools do not allow all that much time to arrange the funds. I am not sure why they release the bills so late, when people may have to access funds from more than one source.

My D’s school gives about 3 weeks from the time the bill comes out to when it’s due.

But in the authorized payer portal I could see how much her dorm and meal plan, and fees were a few weeks before that. And the new tuition rates come out before then too.

I did pay the bill with an electronic transfer, it posted the same day or the next, depending on the time of day I paid it.

I have processed the payments for my son (2015) through his 529 plan. School has a specific address for 529 payments. Never have had an issue (4 semester payments so far). Usually takes 10-14 days for payments to post. This year will be a little different because he is living off campus so room and board payments will be to reimburse us for rent/utility/food payments already made. I told him already that its critical that he keep records of receipts for all of those payments.

We are waiting for AP test results. Though only one that will really have an impact is Physics C. You can use a proxy server to get around release date issue.

My son is also waiting for AP scores. He said some of his friends from CA who will be attending college on the east coast plan to use the college vpn to access their scores. It is silly that they can release SAT scores on the same day but can’t release AP scores in less than 6 days.

We haven’t received a bill in the mail but the school said that we will not receive bills in the mail. We have share access to billing and for kids who don’t want to give share access they said the student will have to print it for the parents. The invoice was available back on June 1 and it has the tuition and scholarships posted and credited. For room and meal plan they are posted but listed as pending until housing confirms the room type so they can adjust the room fee. Housing info was released on Friday so I expect the fee will be adjusted tomorrow or Wednesday and the tuition is due Aug 3. We are planning electronic payment.

@botcom we are considering the pre-pay option as well. I just haven’t had the chance to fully research this. I think we have until the end of this year to decide. The points raised above, tuition insurance and refund, are all important factors.

No official bill here yet either. Just hoping AP scores do come out on the 5th as it affects registration & freshmen advance registration ends mid-July.

My DD has an app that allows her to get her scores no matter what state she is in. She used it last year

AP/IB results matter only for pride here so she may wait until July 9.

AP scores: D17 won’t get anything of use from the one she took this past May—AP calc AB—even if she gets a 4+ (Muhlenberg doesn’t give credit for anything below that), and she throughly expects a 3 anyway. She’s on tenterhooks waiting to hear how she did anyway, though. D19, on the other hand, who took it the same sitting, it could be helpful, but she really doesn’t feel any stress waiting for the score. Go figure.

AP Scores
My D is waiting on BC Calc, which will be huge for her, either three more math classes or none. She is also waiting on AP Bio. A 4 will get her credit for Bio I and she can then take Bio II in the Spring to complete her physical sciences. A 5 would give her credit for both Bio classes, but she feels a 5 is very unlikely.

She took four other AP tests that will have no impact. I am kind of curious what score she gets for her Rick-Roll on the AP Econ essay.

@greeny6 what app did your DD use? My DS is waiting on his math score to know which math class to register for.
Thanks!!

Kids are waiting on Calculus scores… a couple of the others will help but need Calc scores to determine which math class they need to register for fall.

S is waiting on AP Bio. It won’t matter since the program he is in requires that he take Bio at the college. No credits given. He took it just to see how he will do. He hopes for a 5 but expects a 4.

Some of DS scores will matter a lot - Physic C - M & E&M, BC Calc. But no possible credit for AP Lit or Econ. May not get them all tomorrow - he took 1 during the late testing period. I wonder how long that might delay things.

D is waiting on Macroeconomics, US Gov’t, Stats, Bio, and Euro.

@CA1543 when my kid has taken the makeup tests (due to swim season and IB conflicts) they came out the same day as regular scores.

@VickiSoCal – thanks so much - fingers are crossed. Really hope he gets it bc actually matters for registration - currently underway!!

My D got her AP scores today. They have already been uploaded to the universities and she was able to view them in her student portal.

Good news for Bio but not what she was hoping for in Calc. She did get a 2 for her Rick-Roll of AP Econ though.

@CaucAsianDad Yeppers, they are showing up in the portal (UF). DS did well in Calc BC and English Lit.

So, he earned 23 credits from AP test, and 38 credits from Cambridge AICE test, for a total of 61 (if I did the math right). It’s going to be hilarious to see him classified as a 3rd year engineering student, before he takes his first class, especially since most of these credits do him little good…

He’ll get to skip two English classes (ENC1101 and 1102) and two Calculus classes (MAC 2311 and 2312), and 2 or 3 electives, otherwise he has to follow the engineering curriculum.