Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Welcome soon to seniority :wink:

Anyone taking the ACT tomorrow or in the future, and want to make use of your 4 free score reports, here is a link listing the schools that superscore the ACT: http://www.scoreatthetop.com/blog-1/colleges-that-super-score-the-act. I figure if they superscore, it can’t really hurt to send a score you’re not sure about

Woke up at 2 am eastern time to a nightmare that my D bombed the ACT
 I checked to see if her scores were up and they aren’t!!! Ugh they should’ve been up an hour ago. More waiting

@2muchquan congrats on 1000 <:-P

SO proud of my D! She set a goal for her ACT and has been working so hard to achieve it with section tests during the week and a full length practice test at least every other week. Happy to say she met her goal
except she wants to raise her math score by at least one point.

@greeny8 
Ds scores were almost a month late with the December ACT. UGH. Hang in there.

@carachel2 yay for your D <:-P <:-P

Why were they late? Did you find a reason?

I’m hanging like a :(|)

@2muchquan Thanks for the superscoring link. Three of dd’s schools are on that list. I’l make sure to check the websites carefully before she applies to see if they will supescore next year.

@greeny8 My d’s December ACT scores were delayed as well, but the timing fit into their published period. Very frustrating for her first sitting. Her scores for the second sitting were available on the very first day.

Congrats to your d @carachel2 !

@2muchquan CC has become my favorite procrastination/chunking go-to website :slight_smile: Right now I should be doing my homework :stuck_out_tongue: , so I give myself 15 minutes on here to write/read as much as I can, then I make myself go do other work.

Older D’s Bf chose Baylor. She’s bummed because she doesn’t have any interest in going to school in Texas. Although it may be for the best, since the temptation to pick a school based on proximity to him is gone-the option to find a school within driving distance isn’t on the table anymore (she was looking at UA and he was considering Ole Miss).

I think UA will remain on her list, but it’s hard to tell-she changes her mind a lot and I just try and keep up.

She’s scheduled to take the ACT June 11 for the first time, and this week and next week and the week after is a literal blizzard of AP and IB exams, along with the school-mandated (and unfortunately named) SLO exams for every subject (this is for grading how well the teachers taught, no grades for the kids. Younger D is tempted to “christmas tree” a few of them for the teachers she doesn’t like, but I told her not to be that kid.)

@greeny8 
 Never got an explanation. The only difference this time is she did not take the writing section. It was a real eye opener for both of us in realizing how important it is to get these tests DONE. The seniors who were waiting for these scores were going crazy.

My son’s ACT scores were delayed about 10 days last year, and we never got an explanation @greeny8. It is frustrating to wait. My son just checked his scores, and he is happy enough. He retook to try and increase his math score, and it went up 2 points. English went down 1, and everything else stayed the same. So his composite stayed the same, but the scores are more balanced, and the higher math score is good since he wants engineering. Now he is done with the ACT, and now just has to worry about SAT2 tests.

Congrats to your daughter @carachel2

I feel ya MOD. My D’s bf decided on an all guys school. Only one on ‘her’ list is anywhere near him. Ok by me! :wink: he’s a nice kid though.

@WhereIsMyKindle Yeah, even though 5 schools from Ds list are on the ACT super score list, I spent 5 minutes double-checking the school websites to dbl check.

Thanks all, I hope I don’t have to wait too long. In the meantime, I’ll be like @MotherOfDragons and have cc keep me occupied.

As far as I know Pitt looks at English and Math subscores on ACT, CR & M on SAT for merit purposes.
They also superscore between ACT and SAT. So send all scores.

Colorado State superscores

@greeny8 funny and troubling nightmare! :wink: I might start to have such dreams. It won’t be me bombing the test in the dream though! :)) During stressful times at wok, I used to have nightmares anout me back in grade school dreading homework or taking a test without a clue.

ACT releases the scores in batches every week. Hope your D’s show up next week!

Congratulations @carachel2 and @caroldanvers !
Not just on outcomes but having smart and hardworking children. Celebrating their efforts! <:-P <:-P

@carachel2 Congrats to your D on her scores!

My S is still waiting for his. He did the writing section again so maybe that is what causes the delay. I hate to sign him up for the June exam if he doesn’t need to take it.

He hasn’t narrowed down his application list and I don’t think he will need any SAT Subject tests but what if he does? Should I sign him up for the June subject tests just in case? I just want him to be done with this testing. Why do they need subject tests if they are taking AP tests? What is the difference?

If I could convince D not to apply to an Ivy (not that she is planning to), then we may get away with not taking any SAT 2 tests. There may be one other school I’m forgetting, that requires or ‘will consider’ them.

I find it strange that some schools want both SAT I and 2 SAT IIs, OR ACT w/ Writing. What a pain to have to take 3 tests instead of just one ACT.

I agree @2muchquan. The ACT science reasoning test is not really a science test. It is heavy reading. It is more data analysis on the quick. :wink:

I think they want the subject tests over the APs bc they don’t want to say that “college equivalent courses are required.” Subject tests are supposed to be high school equivalent, but bc almost all the students who take them take them after the AP equivalent, the scores reflect advanced course work, just without the AP label. The scoring is also finer bc of the 10 pts on the 800 pt scale vs the broad 1-5 of AP.

Personally, I am anti-testing and think the scoring once you reach a certain threshold does not give any indication about anything other than how you do on MC testing. Once a certain threshold is met, the likelihood of college success is good. When the exact same student studies, takes the test more than once, and pulls up their score, did anything really change in that student’s abilities? No. I think the fact that schools super score is an indication of just how weak the entire MC testing model actually is bc different days’ mood/health/attitutide, different conditions, different tests can yield different results. Yeah, this is not science. It is a simple, but flawed, screening tool.