Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

I am from 2018 parents forum and have a question I think you guys can answer:
When we send in multiple SAT scores to a college, do we see it anywhere which of the scores and\or subscores the college is using for admissions?
TIA

@dfbdfb @saillakeerie One thing my son mentioned this weekend was going around and figuring out where all his classes are in the days between move-in and the start of classes - still a month away though.

My DS started classes today too, only 1 today so he can ease in 3 tomorrow. @Pri930 the schools will use all of the scores you send in the process. They will use the best scores to give your DC the benefit but if you send them all they can take them all into account. I can’t believe that most of our DC are launched :">

Thanks lbf

@VickiSoCal move-in went great! It was hard saying goodbye to D17 but after spending 2 days on campus for parent orientation, I felt very excited about, and happy with, her choice of WU. Good luck with your D’s move to Scotland. I look forward to hearing about it!

We flew in last Sunday, saw the beautiful totality of the eclipse at the Oregon State Fairgrounds on Monday, took a day trip to the coast on Tuesday, and moved her into her dorm on Wednesday. She brought 2 suitcases, 2 duffel bags, and 1 carry-on. We made 2 Target stops, a World Market stop, and a Lowe’s stop (for plants, believe it or not - she brought 1 plant with her and was pretty adamant about buying more while we were there).

Ironically, @spaamie1 's Doommate crossed paths on campus and recognized each other even though they had never met.

Thursday afternoon we said goodbye to D17 in the beautiful botanical garden between the mill stream and the Sparks building. Did they have the botanical garden when you were there, @VickiSoCal ?

We got home Saturday night and I went straight to bed. Yesterday, we had DH’s 50th BD party. I returned to work this am, so this evening it feels good to finally relax. DH and I have both shed some tears, and I have yet to enter D17’s room, but the pain is already diminishing.

We are going to FaceTime most Sundays and text in-between. So far, my non-athlete played in the orientation volleyball tournament after telling us she was just going to cheer, and she had her first day of classes today and likes her Spanish, Bio, and Chem teachers. It’s too soon to tell whether she and her roommate will become besties, but they seem compatible. All in all, a good start.

My heart goes out to everyone affected by Harvey in Texas, and to those of you who are new empty nesters.

Oops, the third paragraph in my previous post should read:
Ironically, @spaamie1 's DS is in the room directly below D17! Say what you will about social media, it was really fun to strike up an acquaintance with @spaamie1 through CC and WU’s parents’s FB page, and then recognize each other when we walked past each other on campus, even though we had never met. Similarly, D17 and her roommate crossed paths on campus and recognized each other even though they had never met.

We really lucked out in NOLA for the Tulane move in. Initially we thought Harvey was going to rain hard on move-in day last Friday, but we had no rain until yesterday. We actually got our son into his room a day ahead of his move-in because his roommate was already there that day and he just walked in (we brought his suitcases) and got his keycard code for the room. Yes, the August temperature and humidity in NOLA were brutal and we were all thoroughly soaked in sweat whenever we had to be outside during the day. But what fun! Harvey’s rains started in earnest today and Tulane just announced classes are canceled tomorrow because the mayor of NOLA decided to close all schools in the city out of caution. With the heavy rains forecasted through Thursday, he may have a few more days of no classes.

@NolaCAR Yes, the botanical garden was there in my day, as was the art gallery. The eagle fountain was built while I was on campus.

I am liking the Amazon locker on campus. It is right across from dorm, and DS gets 15 days to pick up.
I ordered a mattress pad and a closet helper before move in and several textbooks over the weekend.
I sent the pickup codes to DS by text once the books were delivered to the locker. DS picked them up. (amazon tells me)
Text book cost is 320 this semester.

@payn4ward – count your textbook blessings! D17’s books cost just under $1,500. I nearly had a heart attack.

$1,500? Holy Moly! ~X(

That is crazy.

In his email, DS had a link to amazon for each book for me to click and add to cart. He renamed one of the link “Whyisthissoexpensive” :)) I agreed with his sentiment.

I had the opportunity to see and say hi to my DS last evening. He had asked D16 to Skype with him about a Physics problem he was having. It wound up being S17; D16; D16’s Boyfriend with H and I hovering nearby. It was good to her S and D working together. Will not happen again for awhile as she moves back to campus on Sunday. They it will be just H, myself, S12 and the dog.

After experiencing the craziness of high textbook costs with our two older children, I was beyond thrilled when DD17’s athletic scholarship included textbooks!

I also found the textbook costs eye opening!!! I was happy to rent a text on Amazon for less than $20 when the bookstore wanted close to $100. Happily two of her textbooks are good for two semesters, should she continue the sequence. And we did not spend anywhere near $1500, ouch!

However, Amazon has made A TON of money from us in the last two weeks. Whoever invented the concept of Prime was a marketing genius. :wink:

Bigwords is amazing, FYI all here.

Also a tip to remember–the latest edition is not always required. D purchased two of her textbooks for $10.00 each at Half Priced Books. She confirmed with the syllabus and then later the prof that the earlier edition is just fine. In fact, one of the profs specifically breaks down the assigned reading by textbook edition. She also hustled a bit and joined her school’s “Student Buy/Sell” Facebook page and met up with a student to do a textbook deal and got two other books for $70.00 each (current edition, used).

sigh We tried renting, prior editions, and everything else. Several of the core course books were written by UAH profs and were only available new. Others required the accompanying codes, so we couldn’t buy them used. Maybe next semester?

@NerdMom88 We sometimes bought used and purchased the codes online to decrease the cost. It doesn’t always work or the difference between used + online code and new with code is minimal. Granted, DD still spent $650+ this semester even with using DS old books. DS also gets some books as a pdf by searching the book title - usually the books you can find are the cheaper ones anyway, but even $20 is $20.

@Nerdmom88, I don’t know if you qualify income wise but we are able to claim a partial AOTC American Opportunity Tax Credit for our book (and fees) expenses, D has a tuition scholarship.