Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@STEM2017 -

-If you ask him a question he usually calls you out and makes you look stupid, and you will have plenty of questions. terrible.
-.You may have to teach yourself how to do all of the HW. Tests are quite challenging and long. Do many practice exams!
-Terrible… Honestly hes terrible… get another teacher
-If you dare raise your hand to ask a question in class he makes you feel like an idiot! Thank God for my TA [name], he taught my recession class basically the entire course.
-… WILL make you feel like an idiot. Not helpful at all. Never used useful examples in class. Lectures were confusing and didn’t help me at all. Tests are hard. He knows his stuff, but doesn’t know how to make you understand it.

This prof sounds like a complete jerk –– I would absolutely avoid him/her at all costs! A professor can make or break a class (or an entire field of interest) and, in my opinion, is a very important criterion in selecting a class or a section.

@saillakeerie - How great that your D has found her passion!!

@ivycover Seems to me there is a good chance my daughter will come back to Lexington after vet school (fingers crossed she gets in). Right now she thinks she wants to work at some equine hospital where she is interning now. Wife and I have talked about retiring to Lexington (I would totally miss real winters). Would be great if she could live with us when she first started at hospital because full time vet pay is something like $25k per year (with 2 degrees and 8 years of college). Not sure we will be able to swing that though in terms of timing for my retirement. Lots to happen between now and then (including where our son ends up).

D is attempting to change from a 4 year bachelor’s program to a 5 year integrated Master’s program. She got the required GPA but the bureaucracy of getting that approved and the visa reissued is hairy.

@saillakeerie

" . . . . . . Wife and I have talked about retiring to Lexington (I would totally miss real winters). Would be great if she could live with us when she first started at hospital because full time vet pay is something like $25k per year (with 2 degrees and 8 years of college). Not sure we will be able to swing that though in terms of timing for my retirement. Lots to happen between now and then (including where our son ends up)."

It’s not Buffalo or Detroit but I’ve enjoyed a few special snow days there without any of the issues associated with the rust belt. Did three stints in the area and maintained a home close by for an extended period. If I wasn’t obligated to other geography I would relocate there in a heartbeat irrespective of the equine opportunities. The pace is slow, the football is greatly improved, the folks are neighborly and it’s kind of artsy.

If UK isn’t your son’s cup of tea L’ville and Cincy are close by. Transy, Midway, Berea, Georgetown and others are even closer. DVM is a tough slog with commercial clients. Backyard owners and hobby farms are a needy lot. Best wishes.

@ivycover My son graduated college in May and has a job in Madison, Wisconsin. Definitely not where my wife would want to live in terms of winters. Isn’t clear how long he will stay there. Its a great job and he really likes it so far. But kids seem to change jobs a lot these days.

Lexington winters have made my daughter laugh. Group of her friends wanted to go to a mall her freshman year. There was 1" of snow on the ground. One of the Kentucky kids said if they didn’t plow the parking lot, they wouldn’t be able to go. My daughter told them she was confident their car could drive in 1" of snow. This year, school was closed for cold on a day the low was 14 degrees (my daughter texted us that “14 degrees is apparently too cold for these Kentucky people”). We would close school 1/2 the days of winter if that was the test. That day, my son forwarded to us the forecast for Madison. High was -10 and the low was -30.

We have enjoyed the time we have spent in Lexington. My daughter totally loves it. We shall see.

@saillakeerie During the college app season of our 2nd Dd and this thread, our entire family except for our then college-aged ds lived in the same area. It was a great time. We had huge cookouts on weekends while the kids/grandkids swam and played, game nights (we are huge boardgame geeks), and babysitting nights where we’d babysit the grandkids and the adults would go out with friends, etc.

Then there were job changes and ds and his family moved. Then we moved to a totally different part of the county. Oldest Dd and her kids stayed there. Since then, ds has really pushed us to move their new location. They plan on making it their long-term home bc they really love it there. Well, Dh starts his new job there in a couple of weeks. This is the type of job he has wanted since 2008, so win-win for this decision. The job even has his traveling with responsibilities over a site within 45 mins of where oldest Dd is, so he will be able to see and her kids more often.

Our relationship with our kids is nothing like Dh or I had with our parents. Our family really enjoys being together and doing things together. So, long way of saying, we are “moving to the retirement location” years before retirement age. Our youngest Dd is beside herself with excitement bc her niece is her best friend. Both of them were lost without the other for quite a while. Can’t quite believe we are moving again. (I laughed at the thread on the cafe forum where the question was do big houses sell bc do millennials want them. Transfers/job changes happen all the time. I can’t fathom having lived in one location our entire adulthood…but I am sure hoping I can from this move on!!!)

There are some careers that are more conducive to moves to different parts of the countries. Mine isn’t one of them. In addition to that, my wife and I have 3 aging parents between us with ties to our current location as a result.

We live one mile from my mother in law and the house they lived in when DH was born, and 2 miles from the house I was raised in. My mother was born in LA and my dad came there at age 5.
I guess we are not movers.

Wow, @VickiSoCal, that sounds awesome. I hope my grandkids can experience that sort of life.

Wow, everybody here must be really busy having a great summer, or just really hate the new CC format (or both!). The last comment was June 24th!
How are summer internships going? D17 has three weeks left, and has enjoyed it, learned a ton, and got to use some significant math skills from school too. Really gets along great with her manager/mentor. It’s been a great summer!
After the internship, we’re off to Vancouver for vacation before she heads back to year 3 of EE at Temple.

S17 is taking 12 credits this summer - 9 at our local CC (6 are done) and another course online at his home school. The goal is to graduate one year early. Since he’s getting out one year early, I sprang for him to stay in a single in the nicest dorm on campus and let him sign up for a winter program abroad next year.
On another note, his stem cell (bone marrow) recipient has reached out to him and he is looking forward to connecting with the person.

He also is thinking about a new post-graduate plan of action. He is studying ASL this summer, something he has wanted to do since he was 10. He loves it and seems to be taking to it. He’s thinking about enrolling in a certificate program after he graduates to become an interpreter. One of the local public colleges here has one that would cost less than $20K. If he could get certified, the NYS court system pays $54K to start, with benefits, paid vacation of 20 days in the first year (plus 13 union holidays), pension and public 401 (k) equivalent. He’s thinking seriously of pursuing this.
I enjoyed reading everyone’s updates and it’s great to hear how our kids are doing.

Next week is the last week of my D’s internship. She has loved it. She has learned a lot and has gotten a lot of responsibility. It’s also been a lot of fun.
The day after her internship ends, we’re going on vacation. She has a workshop when she gets back and then it’s back to school right after that for a mid-August start.

(The new design is awful!)

My daughter who stayed on campus this summer to continutinue her work with the biogeochemistry lab was able to make it home for a quick visit. It’s hard to believe that in a few weeks they will be heading back for Year 3. It seems like only yesterday that we were all posting about what would be needed in the dorm and how to get it all to campus. For her junior year my daughter was one of 3 students selected to Help BU poilot, create and implement a sustainably program for the BU dorms. Compensation is free housing and meal plan. Wonderful opportunity for her! Lots of money saved for parents. Hope all our kids have a fantastic Junior year.

My D is half way through her internship in CA. She will fly back to school directly as she needs to be on campus early for her sorority duties. We plan to drive and meet her up for a couple of days. Then it will be winter break when we see her again.
She is having a good time in CA. Seems to like her work a lot and has made good friends. She is also enjoying the weather and didn’t get bothered by the quakes. She seems to have also started thinking about potential grad school. I told her to either find funded grad programs or get a job :smile:

@Whataboutcollege I told my D once you graduate your off the college payroll too! Going to Grad school will be her baby to fund.

@botcom I am debating whether she should consider the 4+1 to get a master. Might be easiest and quickest, probably most economical as well.

So did @STEM2017’s kiddo make a decision about which prof to take? D17 goes against the grain, and opts for the better schedule in almost all cases. It hasn’t hurt her so far, and she continues to ignore RMP ratings entirely.

She is coming into the home stretch of volunteering in a lab at NU where she is transcribing interviews for a professor who is investigating something having to do with autistic children. Very different that her usual wet-lab research that she’s been doing at school. She is also working with her PIs from her last summer’s position at the local children’s hospital. Then, she is finishing an online biochem class so she wouldn’t have to take it back at her school. Not sure if that decision was due to the professor though. :smile:

D17 leaves three weeks from Saturday for her semester abroad. Last night she was already researching lodging for Oktoberfest which she and and handful of her classmates are planning to go to. Having been to Munich myself during my semester abroad, but not during Oktoberfest, I admit my heart was skipping a few beats at the idea of her amidst all that craziness. Right now she is working as much as possible to save money for all of her travels. The university she is attending does not have any Friday classes and due to her schedule, she is also off on Mondays so she’s hoping to get in a lot of long weekend visits to other countries.

Meanwhile S19 leaves for his freshman year three weeks from today. It’s a five hour drive from here. We get home and then two days later I have to drive three hours in the same direction to take D17 to catch her flight. While she could have gotten a flight locally, the cheapest (and direct) flight is out of Newark. She found out earlier this week that four other kids in her program are on the same flight which will be nice b/c when she gets to her destination city, she will have some other students who can figure out together getting transportation to the school. Since her home university is on the West Coast which is where most of her fellow students live, they are mostly all flying from L.A. so it was kind of funny she ended up with a couple of kids on her Newark flight. Dh was all set to put her on a local flight with a connection and long layover until I suggested we might find a better (direct) flight out of NY rather than DC. Fortunately Newark is much easier for us to get to than JFK so that worked out perfectly.

Now I just have to get used to the idea that we are “losing” half of our kids within a couple of days of each other.

My DD has 3 weeks left to her internship. I do have to say it has been a little difficult in a way I didn’t anticipate. Unlike going away to college where everyone is in the same boat and basically the same age, early internships can be challenging. She is in a city far from home, working, and basically adulting. She is learning a ton and loves what she is doing. She enjoys her coworkers. She is making a lot of money. However, she is still just a 20 year old. She is living the life of a young working adult but she is not quite fully in that world. The relationships are temporary, the work is temporary, the location is temporary - all of these things making it difficult to figure out where you fit in. It has been a learning experience to secure housing, pay bills, navigate life in a new city, and live completely alone all far, far from home or college. It seems like a lot for a 20 year old to navigate alone. She is stronger and more prepared for her next steps as a result but I am not sure I would encourage an internship so far away for college sophomores going forward.

@bigmacbeth S19 managed to get a better prof in a class that kept his schedule fairly convenient. He basically kept a close eye on the master schedule and when a seat opened in a ‘better’ class, he grabbed it. So almost all of his profs have decent RMP ratings. All in all, he’s got a great schedule for a first-semester freshman at a mega-university (PSU).