Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

<p>That’s what I figured MG & SwimDad … thanks … DC is also in Biology, we may do that test too.</p>

<p>DS got his PSAT code by email today. Total 167 CR(64) Math(49) Writing (54)</p>

<p>I’m happy with it. It gives us an idea of what he needs to work on in the next couple of years.:)</p>

<p>MichiganGeorgia, are you going to have your S prep during the school year or wait until summer? S1 is NMSF and didn’t prep, but now that we know the benefits of NM, we will definitely have S2 working on it.</p>

<p>I’m probably going to wait until summer.I’d like him to try and study for the SAT II Bio subject test this semester since I’m not sure if he will be taking anymore biology in high school after this year. S1 didn’t prep and missed the NMSF cutoff and was commended. UGH. I’m not sure if S2 can make NMSF but I want to give him the chance to have a decent SAT. I also haven’t figured out the best way for him to work on studying for the SAT…</p>

<p>MichiganGeorgia—doesn’t your son have another year before the PSAT that will be used to identify NMSFs? I have a 2017 so I think I am tracking this correctly. Agree with you about taking Bio subject test this year, as many students in our school will not return to Bio until AP Bio Sr year. (Students are generally required to take either the regular or Honors level of any science before moving on to the AP level, with the exception of APES.)</p>

<p>The glitch for our 2017 students is that they will be the first ones to sit for the new PSAT with new SAT released their Jr year spring. In theory, the PSAT they take as sophomores may differ from their ‘real’ PSAT Jr year. Unfortunate timing. Hopefully the CB will delay the implementation yet another year. Otherwise, I won’t have much use for the practice tests I have stockpiled from S14.</p>

<p>Yes, next year he will take it in 10th grade and it won’t count and the one he takes junior year will count. However I am planning on him taking the SAT in the fall of his Junior year BEFORE they mess with the SAT. So I’m figuring any studying he does for the way the PSAT/SAT is now, will work for the SAT taken fall Junior year. I don’t want him to wait to take the SAT when they first come out with this “new” improved version…</p>

<p>Michigan—we have the same plan here. I think I will have him sit for a couple of practice SAT & ACT tests this summer and then table it until the summer after tenth grade, unless he wants to sit for the SAT during soph year. I may be deluding myself, but I sense that he will perform well. Oct results are returned with enough time to register for Dec exam, and Dec exam is usually one week after Thanksgiving, so the holiday w/e allows time for another practice test.</p>

<p>I will not have him take both SAT & ACT but instead use practice test scores to determine which test to pursue.</p>

<p>My older son prepped summer after soph year to take fall of Jr year b/c of winter sports and timing of HS mid-term exams. This schedule worked well for him and he is not a natural test taker. He sat for the exam one last time Oct of Sr year and that created a bit more scrambling at Common App filing time than was ideal. Oct Sr year scores increased nicely, so the final sitting was worthwhile, but had to wait to file apps until scores were released end of Oct. Obviously not an option for our '17 students given the proposed exam format change.</p>

<p>I had DS13 take both the ACT and SAT fall of Junior year. And then had him come back and take them both again fall senior year. His scores did go up. They are planning on having the ACT go digital maybe spring 2015. So if they do that the kids will know their scores right away which would help if they are taking them senior year and waiting to file apps.</p>

<p>We just got DS PSAT scores. He scored 182 total. 63 (CR), 57 (M), 62 (W).</p>

<p>We do not plan to have him take the Biology Subject test this year. Next year when he takes AP World History he will take the Subject test for World History. His Jr. year when he takes AP Chem/US History he can take those subject tests. My older son took the SAT Subject test the same year he took the AP course and scored 800 on the SAT subject tests.</p>

<p>Still no word on PSAT scores.</p>

<p>S1 was a NMF and we used a PSAT tutor starting early fall of his junior year. We plan on doing the same for swimgirl.</p>

<p>@proudpatriot - awesome freshman score! </p>

<p>DS17 won’t be taking AP Chem or Bio until senior year. They only have 6 classes per semester and he has to take Physics as a Junior. I wish they were on a 7 period schedule but they aren’t so the only way around it would be to drop his elective which I assume will be band…Not happening .So it’s either take the SAT Bio after freshman year, Chem after Sophomore year or Physics like DS14 did after Junior year. He can take AP English and US history junior year and could then take those SAT subject tests but he probably will need a science subject test so I’d thought I’d try and have him get the test out of the way early…We’ll see how it goes.:)</p>

<p>Why does he need so many subject tests?</p>

<p>I was saying he could take the English or history but he’s probably going to need 1 science. Also depending on the school some will give credit for a class based on the subject test score. So lets say he took the SAT Chem subject test but didn’t take AP Chem. Now he’s probably not going to Georgia Tech like his brother but if he did and took the Chem SAT and got a 680 he would get credit for Chem 1211K the same as if he had taken AP Chem and got a 4. or if he goes to UGA it’s the same plus if he took the Physics SAT and got a 680 he would get credit for a physics class…</p>

<p>My point was it’s not going to hurt him to take the SAT subject test and it may help him get credit for a class that he doesn’t take the AP equivalent. So basically he needs to figure out where he might want to go to school and then take the corresponding SAT’s to try and maximize his incoming credits.</p>

<p>You can get credit for a college class by taking SAT Subject test? In that case it makes sense to take as many of them as you can.</p>

<p>Yes it just depends on the college.</p>

<p>I guess since my older son took the Subject Test in areas where he had AP Credit I had never come into contact with that possibility. It’s good to know. I am pretty sure my younger one will follow his brother’s lead and take the Subject Test after AP World, AP US and possibly AP Chem. I haven’t come across schools that require more than 2 of the Subject Tests. My son is not likely to be a STEM major so the Math probably won’t be required.</p>

<p>I believe Georgetown and Hopkins <em>suggest</em> three subject tests. Not intending that to be an all-inclusive list, but just a couple I encountered.</p>

<p>Johns Hopkins does not require ANY Subject tests. Johns Hopkins admissions website says the following:</p>

<p>“Freshman applicants are strongly encouraged to submit two SAT subject tests.”</p>

<p>It does go on to say:</p>

<p>“Applicants interested in an engineering major are strongly encouraged to submit scores from the Mathematics Level 2 SAT subject test and at least one science SAT subject test.”</p>

<p>Georgetown’s site does recommend three tests.</p>

<p>Nowhere on its site does Johns Hopkins suggest three subject tests.</p>

<p>I think some schools look at subject tests differently and then it depends on the subject test. DS13 took two subject tests that he didn’t take the AP class for(Spanish and Physics). He would have gotten credit at UGA for his scores in Spanish & Physics but at Georgia Tech they only allow SAT credit for English and Chem…He had no idea where he was going to end up so he took the tests. However if a kid knows all the schools that he is going to apply to and they don’t give credit for Subject tests then I’d say take 1 math and 2 others and be done with it.:slight_smile: </p>

<p>Also some schools require the ACT or SAT subject tests…</p>

<p>Hello! I’m new to CC. My daughter will graduate HS in 2017. She loves Musical Theatre particularly singing. After attending the top Elementary and Junior High Schools in the district she switched to the Visual and Performing Arts Academy at an average High School in the district. The High School uses a block schedule so rather than taking 6 or 7 classes for a year, she takes 4/5 classes a semester, 8-10 classes a year. The advantage to this is she can take more electives in the performing arts. The downside for the academic classes is you are taking a typically year long class in 18 weeks, and you can end up with large gaps between classes that would typically be taken concurrently. </p>

<p>My goals for joining CC are:</p>

<p>1) to gain as much information so I can make well informed decisions for my daughter
2) meet other parents whose kids are interested in majoring in Musical Theatre in the future
3) Gain advice for helping to maintain the academic rigor of her program so she does not limit her options in the future
4) Help make a plan for the next few summers-SAT prep, arts prep, academic classes? </p>

<p>By the way husband and I were laid-back, average, conformist, tone deaf, jock students. Daughter is intense, anxious, perfectionist, perfect pitch, quirky, skipped a grade student. If it weren’t for the red-hair, we would seriously be thinking there was a switch in the hospital nursery.</p>