Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

<p>Welcome, Redslp! I’m sure you’ll gain loads of useful information here. The CCers are so generous with their knowledge. We also have one of those “switch in the hospital” kids - it can be a challenge some times to navigate everything.</p>

<p>S2 finally noticed that he had an email with his PSAT log in information. His school still has not distributed scores. So we looked over scores, discussed that this could offer some good scholarship opportunities if he does well, and talked about what he should do to (hopefully) make it happen. Even if he doesn’t make NMSF territory, he knows it will help SAT scores. He sounds ready to take it on. His score was 168, CR-53, M-65, W-50. Happy with math, but I think they’ll all need some work. He’s already texting friends who took it to see how they did. I love geeky kids. :)</p>

<p>Welcome red! I wonder sometimes if DD is ours too! While she is not planning on a performing arts career, she is on the praise dance team and in two choirs at her church. One of her requirements for colleges is that they either have these at the “intramural” level or there is a church nearby where she can do these things. We have block classes at our school too-these 6,7,8 class semesters sound crazy to me! </p>

<p>I will say that CC has been a font of knowledge not so much for my DD’s path, but my nephew whose parents are low-income and barely finished HS. I’ve been able to give him some great links and advice to follow as he navigates his senior year and hopefully, goes on to college.</p>

<p>As one red to another - welcome Redslp!</p>

<p>The rest of this is to your overachiever offspring:</p>

<p>It’s not too early to start planning what AP classes you want to take (assuming your school offers them) and more importantly WHEN, during the course of your four years - because you’ll likely want colleges to know about it when you apply (not all though; some say don’t send 'em) - but if you don’t take the actual AP tests until spring of your senior year, none of those scores will be available when you actually apply, even though you’ll still get the placement or even actual credit.
Unless you’re a leap or two ahead in math, don’t sweat getting AP calc credit early. But if you’re thinking you want to spare Mom and Dad a few bucks, and enhance your app, consider salting in those APs in things like psych, gov, env. sci. and others that you can effectively do after just one year in your sophomore or junior years - the math ones as you know require a multi-year sequence just to get to the test.
But first, assuming you’re as much of a Type A as your forebear suggests, focus on the PSAT right now. If you think you might be in the ballpark to score above your state’s threshold (check online), there’s no such thing as too much test prep. Why? Because just a few points can make all the difference; the PSAT is also the NMSQT. Look up just how many colleges - mostly state schools - are beyond free to National Merit students. That’s not a typo - full ride plus. There are beaucoup schools out there (check elsewhere on CC) that offer not just full tuition and room and board, but also things like a free iPad AND spending money AND even money to study overseas in the summer, if they snag you as an NMS. Our oldest made it, and while he eventually went with a school with generous but not full+ merit aid for an NMS, my wife and I decided to split the savings with him - we’re putting aside half of what we’d have had to spend in an account for him, year by year. When he graduates, he can pay for his grad school out of it - or a downpayment on a house, if that’s what he wants. But no matter how well you do on the eventual SAT, if you don’t clear the bar on the PSAT it doesn’t matter.
Anyway, young lady, go for it - and be nice and tolerant toward your fellow testarossa parents. They may not be intense like you but they love you and in the long run that’s more important anyway.
Oh, and read “Still Life With Woodpecker” by Tom Robbins, if you haven’t already. You’ll understand why.</p>

<p>Just popping in to say hi and see the new site upgrades. I tend to lurk more than I post. I have 2 D, hs freshman and a son a hs junior. Of my hs class 17 girls one is very bright, but ADD. She tests great, but “forgets” to turn in HW she did. She “forgets” her coat, and couldn’t be on time for anything. However she is a Duke TIP participant and had SAT scores as a 7th grader that were the average for hs seniors in our state.
Other D is a good student, and highly creative. Likes crafts etc. likes fashion. I have no idea what her final career will be.<br>
We start a new semester tomorrow. </p>

<p>CuriousKid registered for next year’s classes today. Or at least, I hope he turned the form in. Is anyone else’s kid registering already? It seems super early to me.</p>

<p>I’m slightly jealous of all the choices they have at his school. They have to pick a level for the 5 core subjects, and then 5 electives of which they’ll get 2, or 3 or 4 depending on whether they choose semester or year long courses. CK picked weightlifting, photography, law, economics, and video production as his 5 choices. The only one of those that we had was economics. He’s really excited about weightlifting and photography so I hope he gets those.</p>

<p>He’s also figuring out his plans for the summer. He’s been invited back to the theater where he did his tech internship last year, and is excited about that. He’s also planning on taking health class online. That way he’ll be finished with all of his “extra” requirements by the end of sophomore year (by that I mean foreign language, tech, arts, health, and PE) so he’ll have more room to explore new things. Finally, he’s hoping to get certified as a lifeguard and maybe earn a little money that way. </p>

<p>DS will be getting his form to select next years classes at the end of this week. I think one reason it’s so early at our school is that they have to figure out how many AP classes they are going to have. If a kid meets the rubric requirements they will make sure that kid gets to take that AP class. So some years they may have more of say APUSH than other years… </p>

<p>No, but D goes to a very small school with limited electives and block classes. I’m just glad we’re done with the megalomaniac digital arts teacher who had every kid in every class failing to prove a point. D finished with a solid B in the class, better than a couple of the top students. We’re on to Japanese this semester. Next year the electives will be more Japanese and speech. Core classes are the same for everyone.</p>

<p>Welcome, Redslp! Many of us have the similar, “Where did this child come from,” experience. Sit back and relax because it’s one heck of a ride to college acceptance.</p>

<p>How is freshman year going for everyone? Spykid had a good first semester. He’s made friends (he’s attending a private school in the big city), joined a few clubs, is on the Mock Trial Team and earned good grades. All is well for now :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Welcome new red! I’ve got 2 in college and one freshman…all girls. D3 got all A’s first semester, and all A’s on first progress report, so I’m happy! She has her first AP class and is doing well, and loves it,but it’s a lot of work! She switched from STEM track to fine arts track this semester. She mapped out her courses with her guidance counselor last week and signed up for next years classes. Our school is switching from 4 class semesters to 7 class full year schedules next year. So many are mad about the change…but we are just waiting to see what happens. Common core and testing are all the rage (I use the word because so many are enraged about the changes and testing) here! Youngest has the unfortunate knowledge that everything she does counts, and is really serious about school. She wants to keep her singing and orchestra and art, so she had to switch to fine arts track, but with the 7 classes a day, she’ll still get her AP bio, chem, physics and English in. Seems kind of stressful, but hopefully they will provide a smooth transition! She’s wanting to study animation…and I got her some software and a drawing pad for her computer. She’s made some really cool things. I need lots of help getting her some other classes or help. I have ZERO knowledge of graphics and art and computers. So this will be interesting! It’s been freezing here and I long for sun.</p>

<p>Just checking in. The young patriot did very well his first semester of high school. He played JV football in the fall. The team was undefeated. He wrestled in the winter. He had a good overall season. He made varsity but he had a losing record for the season. He did make it to the regional tournament though. Now it is on to lacrosse, his real passion.</p>

<p>His school does course selection a little later in the year. If I recall it is usually done right around spring break. </p>

<p>Thought I’d join. I’ve been reading more of the 2014 class since it’s way more active and oldest ds is 2014 but youngest is 2017. He’s had a great freshman year thus far making the soccer team, now running track, member of the robotics and math teams. He’s starting out just like his older brother did by doing well enough to not get into trouble. We keep trying to convince him to actually put some effort in and he’s more likely than his brother is to appease us. </p>

<p>He just turned his course selection in for next year. Courses and requirements have changed since oldest was a freshman so it’s been interesting to see the youngest’s path.</p>

<p>Welcome Samkl! I too have a 2014 kid. It’s crazy but when I think of my senior child, this year has seemed to drag with essays, college apps, and now the interminable waiting. But the year has seemed to zoom by for my freshman son :slight_smile: Crazy, I know.</p>

<p>I agree Agentninetynine. I’ve had multiple countdowns going for the senior (waiting for apps to open, nagging to write essays, and now the wait for fin. aid pkgs) and the freshman just seems to be flying along.</p>

<p>I have a D 2015 and a S 2017. They both just met with their counselor to pick their classes for next year. Their school has block M-Th with a choice of 6 classes, although most kids pick one study hall. Friday is “elective” day and they pick 3 2-hr classes. They mostly keep their same schedule for the entire year. D15 is a serious student intent on getting straight As. S17 tends to “forget” to turn in work, etc. espcially for classes that he doesn’t like as much. I thought it was a boy thing, but after reading through some threads I think it is his more laid-back personality. He has worked with his counselor to get a better organization system and it is helping him remember to turn in assignments and know where they are (thank goodness).</p>

<p>I didn’t know that the PSAT and SAT formats were changing! Thanks all for that info. I may have S take the SAT early just in case. He will be taking the PSAT next year for practice as a sophmore. All of the kids in his school do. He didn’t want to take it this year as a freshman. I hope it doesn’t change too much! </p>

<p>Speaking about the SAT. Our high school is offering a SAT/ACT Combination Diagnostic Test next month to help students determine whether they should pursue the SAT or ACT path to college. It will be interesting to see which one they recommend for DS. DS13 did better on the ACT than the SAT. I’m thinking DS17 will too… </p>

<p>@MichiganGeorgia – The diagnostic test seems like a great idea and would sure save some money.</p>

<p>In what way are the PSAT and SAT formats changing?</p>

<p>@Agentninetynine—changes still seem unconfirmed. I know I have read something more recently than this article, but here is some info. Also, if I remember correctly, the PSAT will be new for our children as Jrs, and the ‘new’ SAT will be rolled out some time thereafter, but probably not until at least January. I hope to have my son take the test spring of next year and/or fall of Jr year to avoid the new format. (Not that I know there to be anything wrong with the new format, but I have a box of test prep material for the old format.)</p>

<p>To recap, our children who take sophomore yr PSAT will take the current format and they will then see the new format for their NMSQT Jr year.
<a href=“What the New SAT and Digital ACT Might Look Like - The New York Times”>http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/04/education/edlife/what-the-new-sat-and-digital-act-might-look-like.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>@CT1417 - Thank you for the link to the article on SAT changes.</p>

<p>The ACT is going computerized in 2015. I’m not sure if it will be up to the location to decide which method to offer but I’m sure eventually it’ll be the only option. Not good news for DS17, he tends to not test well on the computer.</p>