Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

My kids’ school doesn’t weight dual enrollment classes, but then again they also don’t do official class ranks. (The school district, due to a state mandate, does do official class ranks, by both weighted and unweighted GPAs. Go figure. Nobody at the school really pays attention to them, though.)

[Edited to clarify who does what.]

Thanks everyone for your comments/support. She just got home and said psych was easy, but the Chem was horrible. She said when they finished, the whole class looked at each other in disbelief at how hard it was. They all agreed there were many sections they were never taught. At least she was laughing because at this point, what is the point in getting upset. Really at the end of the day, what does it matter if you get a 1 or 5, many schools don’t even let you take the credit, they use it for placement.

@itsgettingreal17 pizza and a movie sound great!

@MotherOfDragons so happy to hear you killed it this semester! Don’t feel guilty - your family will admire you and it will all be worth it.

@payn4ward I know how you feel buying unused study guides. Looks like I’m gonna look at getting the CB Math 2 study guide (thanks @CT1417). Hopefully D will crack it.

Has anyone found any ‘real’ Math 2 tests online?

@carachel2 Our school district weights AP, IB, AICE and DE classes with +1.0 points (max 5.0), while honor, pre-aice, pre-IB are weighted with an extra 0.5 points (max 4.5).

Our school weights honors, AP, IB, and dual-enrollment courses all the same (5.0 vs. 4.0). The only honors courses are 9th and 10th English and math prior to Calculus–no honors in social studies, foreign language, or science. Dual-enrollment is weighted the same whether the class is on the high school campus, at the local community college, or at the local UC. As a result, a high weighted GPA can be around 4.8. 5.0 is not impossible if you were to take foreign language and health at the community college.

In fact, some dual-enrollment classes taken on the community college campus count as 2 high school semesters, and so count double. DS took World History at the community college in the evening last year. One semester counted as 2 high school semesters for his GPA. For foreign languages, the first semester of community college counts as the first 2 years of high school (yes, 4 semesters!). Most people who do that are wanting to take a language other than the 3 offered at the high school.

This is mostly the same as the UC system’s weighting, except that typically only Honors Precalculus is approved for honors weighting. (Our engineering program also has UC approval for weighting its 6 classes.) The UC system also caps the number of weighted semester at 8 for one calculation, but the upper-tier UCs also see the fully weighted GPA.

Yet another example of “how the UCs do it” controlling how CA high schools do things.

@carachel2 our schools weight honors with 1 point (5.0) and AP 2 points (6.0) and dual enrollment 2 points (6.0)

I won’t even say how many unused or barely used study guides I have given away! :open_mouth:

I won’t even pretend to understand dual-enrollment classes. How kids have the time, with everything else going on, to take a class on another campus (although sounds like this is not always the case according to @Ynotgo) is beyond me. Our school is pretty large, so luckily we have everything D has seemed to need, with the exception of AP Mandarin, which she will do independent study. I sometimes have to remember that College Confidential is not the real world, and all your kids are super-human!

Speaking of super-human, congratulations @MotherOfDragons! Enjoy your (short) break! I will be thinking about you as I waste time doing whatever it is that I do after work…

D has three AP tests this week and three next week. She is only stressed about calc BC this week. I’ve been trying to relieve her stress for BC with logic but she’s not having any of it. I showed her the data for the calc BC exam at her high school:

When presented with this preponderous data, did she calm down? Of course not, “What if I am one the few who don’t get a five. I really want a five. S got a five.” I then reminded her that the difference between the $4 dollar plane ride and the $5 dollar plane ride was $1. The difference between an AP 4 and and AP 5 is 1.

For the record, 17 year old daughters can really shoot a glowering glance.

@Dave_N, I guess it depends on what colleges your D is interested in too. S will be good with a 4 in Calc B/C for maximum credit at most of the schools he is interested in. The college D15 matriculated to only gave credit for a 5. She was lucky, she had a 5. For the majority of the kids, like you said the difference is only 1, and the class credit given is the same for either score.

@2muchquan @262mom @itsgettingreal17 On SAT2 Math2,
Definitely review some trig:

1. There usually is one question needing Law of Cosines or Law of Sines.

a triangle with some angles and sides given and determining missing length or angle.
  2. using pythag. to get distances about ladder on a wall, or someone traveling north east and another traveling north…
  3. addition formula, cos (a+b) or sin (a+b) etc sin(2x) = 2 sinx cosx, etc
  4. needing to know the signs of cos/sin/tan in 4 quadrants -> A S T C (remember?)

Some joint probability:
There are blue, yellow, red balls. There percentage is such and such. How may are red?
Some % took AP Chem classes, some took Honor Spanish… How many took both AP Chem and Honor Spanish?

Asymptotes/Limits: identifying asymptotes and zeros
1/x, 1/(x-1), (1+x)/(1-x^2), etc

Conic sections: Knowing the definition of circle, ellipse, etc helps.
Circle - collection of points that are same distance from a single point.
Ellipse - collection of points that have the same sum of the distances to the two focal points.

Congratulations @MotherOfDragons on your successful semester!

Thank you, @CT1417 and @canypava and @payn4ward for suggestions and info re: SAT Math 2. We may buy the study guide, but we also have a growing collection of unused study guides gathering dust (including AP study guides for Chem, BC Calculus, Statistics, and US Gov). Oh, well…

Our HS doesn’t do any weighting so AP & accelerated courses and dual enrollment courses are all weighted the same (top of scale is 4.0 = A). Some dual enrollment classes count double (a one semester 4 or 5-credit college class counts as 2 semesters of high school…means more risk to high GPA if a student takes a college class and gets a B or C since it counts double).

They also don’t do class rankings. This year there are about 15 “valedictorians” (people with 4.0 GPA)… about the top 10% of the class. I am counting on admissions officers to pay attention to the courses taken and not just the GPA. Not too worried about it, though. I like that we never have to re-calculate in order to “unweight” the GPA :slight_smile:

Did I miss something? What is SAT2?

@Tgirlfriend SAT2 = SAT subject tests. Some schools want 2-3. Most do not care and don’t want them sent if taken.

@itsgettingreal17 Thank you. I don’t think our little school does that test or at least my S hasn’t mentioned it to me.

SAT2=SAT subject tests (some languages, world history, US history, 2 diff maths, big 3 sciences, English lit)

All multiple choice, each 60 minutes

I’d link but I’m on mobile right now :slight_smile:

@Tgirlfriend Collegeboard offers it. I’d suggest you look at your son’s current list of schools and see whether they require the SAT II.

@greeny8 D thought psych was easy, too, but the kids around her (a gym full!) said that they were unprepared for the higher-order questions. D was less happy after APES—her hands were so cold in that school’s room that she had difficulty holding onto the pen/pencil. I never thought she’d need her half gloves in early May!

Also called SAT Subject tests. They test “advanced” knowledge of a subject beyond the regular SAT.

@WhereIsMyKindle my D is always cold…that’s why she is not applying to schools up north!