Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

<p>@CT1417, Thanks for the clarification. I thought that the new format for the SAT was going to start in Fall of the 2015/2016 school year. That takes a little pressure off and leaves options open. I did know that they were in for the new PSAT regardless. Oh well, S is taking the PSAT next year for practice because that’s what his school does. Hopefully the new format won’t throw him for a loop!</p>

<p>To confuse matters further, the PSAT he will take in 10th grade will be the old format exam but the 11th grade one will be the new format, even though the new SAT will not be administered until March, after the 11th grade NMSQT. And no matter how well he scores in 10th grade, the only score that ‘counts’ for purposes of NMSQT is the 11th grade score. I guess I am just glad we don’t have class of 2018 students!</p>

<p>@HeavyLidded–I think the only people who will be able to advise you properly are those w/in your son’s school who are familiar with the Chem curriculum, but I will take a stab at it, given the little I know! Our school uses Alg 1 grades in Chem placement. This sometimes takes parents by surprise, as many students take Alg 1 in 8th grade, and our school does not carry advanced math or foreign language grades from middle school forward to the HS transcript.</p>

<p>Our school does not require that students be concurrently enrolled in Alg 2 in order to enroll in Honors Chem, only that a certain grade was attained in Alg 1 and a certain grade in the prior science course. Is his school requiring enrollment in Alg 2 in order to enroll in honors Chem? Or is he simply trying to get caught up in the math curriculum so that he is on par with others students in the honors science track? I could see this being the case if physics is the next course, as Calc is needed for honors or AP physics.</p>

<p>The trouble I see in taking two math classes is that the elective time slot is eliminated, and if he doesn’t love math, that’s a lot of math! Could he take geometry during the summer? (A painful way to spend the summer….)</p>

<p>Are you wanting him to double up on math because you think he is “behind”, not taking geometry as a freshman? That’s actually pretty common. He should not need more than algebra to manage chemistry, I should think. But as said above, your own school would be the best guide as to what path to take. I’d suggest though, if your son is not a big mathy kid, having two math classes and a science heavily dependent on formulas might be overwhelming. Good luck.</p>

<p>Geometry is very different from Algebra (I or II). Many kids in my kids school take geometry later than the algebra series. My S loves math, but had a harder time in geometry than algebra. My D was the opposite and found geometry to be easier and make more sense than algebra. Their minds work differently. If your S isn’t a math kid, but you think he needs geometry to move on in his choice of classes, I also suggest a summer class or an approved on-line class where he can get it done and not have to stress about too much math in one school year.</p>

<p>Thought I’d jump in and say hello. Have twin, fraternal DDs class of 2017. Attend a suburban, all girls Catholic high school.</p>

<p>Our high school notified that the 2017s will NOT be taking the PSATs as sophomores because of the change in the SAT. We take EXPLORE, and PLAN as the run-up to the ACT also.</p>

<p>I wonder if that will be common. Our HS hasn’t said anything about whether they will recommend that 2017ers skip the PSAT next year. Our school has never taken the PLAN.</p>

<p>Hadn’t considered the possibility of not taking next year’s PSAT. Since parents pay for the exam and it is offered on a Saturday, I wonder if they would prevent sophomores from sitting for it.</p>

<p>Our HS offered PLAN for the first time last April. Very last minute decision. The offer of this year’s PLAN has received more promotion so I think more will consider it. </p>

<p>I have never heard of EXPLORE but I had never heard of PLAN until a year or two ago. The Northeast has moved toward ACT slowly in recent years. </p>

<p>

Our HS hasn’t discussed the new PSAT yet. They don’t seem to make a big deal out of the PSAT and for many of us hoping on scholarships, it can be a big deal. For now, I plan on S17 keeping up with SAT materials on Khan Academy and prepping that way, but still taking PSAT as a sophomore. </p>

<p>Welcome @higheredmom! Spykid’s school does Explore, Plan & PSAT. Your Ds’ school may not offer the sophomore test, but I’m fairly sure they will give the new PSAT in junior year as that’s the qualifier for National Merit. </p>

<p>It’s a bummer our kids are the guinea pigs for this new format, but oh well. My D’14 did much better on the ACT and I suspect her brother will be the same way. He’ll take the PSAT & SAT but the focus will remain on the ACT w/writing.</p>

<p>I should also have said welcome @higheredmom. I think we will still have our S take the PSAT next year so he can have experience at national standardized testing. Especially since he may be taking one of the SAT II tests at the end of sophomore year when the Math 2 curriculum is still fresh in his mind.</p>

<p>I agree @Agentninetynine, I don’t like that S17 will be in the guinea-pig group for the new PSAT and the new SAT (although he will be able to take the old SAT and the new SAT). D15 did very well on the PSAT and was actually willing to coach S17. I just hope that there are decent study guides out for summer 15 studying. Being in contention for NMS opens up school choices.</p>

<p>Welcome higheredmom. D’s school district pays for all freshmen and juniors to take the PSAT and Seniors to take the SAT. I am not sure what they’ll be doing in regards to the new formats. D wants to try the ACT next year because although she did quite well on the PSAT, the ACT has a longer history at most of the colleges she is considering. And, I just wanted to add-she WAS chosen to be the sole student from her school to join the We Act trip to Africa in August.She exhausts me, but I am proud.</p>

<p>Thanks for the welcome! and, just to clarify, DD’s high school has always done both: Explore, Plan and PSAT as sophomores–the “no PSAT” as sophomores is new and directly related to change in SAT. Subject tests continue to be emphasized too. Oh, and we are in a NYC suburb.</p>

<p>Our public high school pays for sophomores to take the PSAT but if you want to take it as a freshman or junior you have to pay for it. They use the scores to help figure out whether a student can qualify for certain AP classes if they don’t automatically qualify based on a high enough GPA in the previous class. For example a kid needs 95% in 10th grade English to automatically qualify for AP Lang. If they don’t then the student will take a timed writing test at school and also the teachers will look at the students verbal and writing scores on the PSAT. The goal is the make sure that kids who take end up the AP class have a good chance doing well. </p>

<p>Does anyone know about college athletic recruitment? Youngest S17 plays soccer and runs track and has been getting several e-mails about camps with college coaches. He is interested in playing soccer in college but I’m not sure what to make of these camps.</p>

<p>Lots of information here: <a href=“Athletic Recruits - College Confidential Forums”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/athletic-recruits/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Am sure you can find someone who will have info on specific camps if you post your question in that forum.</p>

<p>A friend’s daughter plays high level soccer and these camps, called I.D. camps are quite common and are used for sports other than soccer. This is a great venue for other coaches to check out your son and offer him scholarships. :)</p>

<p>A friend whose son is a big soccer player told me that coaches cannot “officially” start recruiting until the kids are sophomores. However, her son has been getting e-mails from schools where coaches have seen him play at tournaments saying that they “can’t wait to meet him”.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info everyone. I talked with him about it and he wants to give it a shot so we’ll see how it turns out. It is a soccer I.D. camp so it seems we’re on the right track.</p>