Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

<p>I think that camps are a good place to start. Make sure that he fills out the college online recruitment information form which can be found at the teams website. At this point NCAA rules only allow the coaches to send out brochures for camps and questionnaires. Your son can call the coach but the coach is not allowed to return phone calls. You can also schedule unofficial visits to the school and coach. If your son is thinking about playing D1 I would also start looking at the NCAA requirements by visiting the national clearinghouse website.</p>

<p>I know of one girl who committed to a college freshman year and another freshman who was asked to commit at that same time but waited until she was a sophomore. Of course, these are verbal commitments so that may change things.</p>

<p>My DD is very interested in a year long HS study abroad program. She would like to be an exchange student, go to a local HS and live with a host family. Full immersion. She has no experience with the language and to make it more challenging, the written language is often in characters rather than Roman alphabet. The school year there runs from March to I think January so she would miss last half of sophomore year and first half of junior year here in the US. She is very excited and motivated to research programs, scholarships, study the language etc. </p>

<p>I think it would be an amazing opportunity but…will she be safe? How will she get around? How will she communicate in an emergency? Will classes transfer back to US? How could she possibly understand Algebra II or Biology in another language? What else haven’t I thought of? </p>

<p>Does anyone have any experience with high school study abroad. Thanks!</p>

<p>@JJPeach - that sounds like a wonderful opportunity but I would have all of the same concerns as you and I don’t have any advice. Hopefully others who have done the program can answer some questions.</p>

<p>Hi, I’m new to this community so apologies if my question has already been addressed. The questions is: Our daughter is finishing her freshman year and I am wondering if, in addition to the AP Human Geography exam administered by the College Board, she should take the SAT subject tests (such as Biology, etc.). Do the scores of the subject tests get reported with the SAT scores later on?
Thanks.</p>

<p>The best time to take the SAT II is after a student has taken the AP course in the subject. Some schools require 2 or 3 subject tests when applying. The scores can be sent when you send your SAT 1 scores. </p>

<p>My freshman is taking AP world, so he will take the SAT subject test in June while the material is fresh in his mind. </p>

<p>One exception is the SAT Math I & II. I don’t think you need to take AP Calc in order to do well on those tests.</p>

<p>True regarding Math I and II. S took Math II at the end of sophomore year when he finished precalc/trig. He was able to get an 800. Calculus is definitely not required to do well on that one. </p>

<p>I agree that it is best to take the SAT II test after you take the AP or equivalent class. However, if you kid is a frosh, you should probably weigh the maturity of the student against the taking a test (yes, I have a S17) and on how well they did in the AP class. I think the subject tests are only one hour, so it shouldn’t be overwhelming. My S is going to take the Math II test next year when he finishes precalc. And he was told that if you plan to take the Math II, don’t bother taking the Math I. A good thin is that you do not have to send the subject score to any school if you student does not do well on a particular SAT II.</p>

<p>Yes, if your child is planning to apply to selective STEM programs, don’t bother with Math 1. Take Math 2. Regarding sending your SAT II scores to college. Yes, you can send or not send. However, if your child takes 2 or 3 subject tests in one sitting, and decides that he/she only wants to send one of them…then that is not possible. You have to send all of he SAT II scores from that day’s test. Some might want to consider only taking one subject test per sitting…or alternatively…don’t take more than one test just because you are going to be there anyway…make sure that you are prepared…</p>

<p>^ I thought you could choose the individual subject test you wanted to send, regardless of date. This is from the Collegeboard website.

</p>

<p>Thanks @SoWest‌ I also thought that the kids had a choice of which SAT II test to send. The SAT I is different and you have to send the whole set of tests for that day.</p>

<p>@SoWest‌ thanks for the clarification!! I just called collegeboard and you are indeed correct!! That makes things a lot easier!!! </p>

<p>Thank you all for the feedback. Useful information, too, about the Math I vs Math II. Have a god weekend.</p>

<p>@JJPeach - A friend’s daughter studied abroad in France her junior year in h.s. and Our DD’14 studied abroad last summer for a month in Paris. Both were positive experiences, but far different from what you’re contemplating. Do some serious research - talk to former students and their parents - as well as the adults in charge of the program. I’d also do some real soul searching as to the emotional maturity of your child. Good luck!</p>

<p>Celebrating…S is up to a B+ in English! He’s my STEM kid. </p>

<p>Only 15 days left of freshman year for my S. So happy! I hate waking up early. Anyone else excited that 25% of high school is almost complete?</p>

<p>DS17 has 17 days left, DS14 has tomorrow and then 2 graduation practices next week but no real school. This month has been surreal.</p>

<p>S is done as of yesterday. He should be at a schoolmates house now for the first (gaming) sleepover of the summer. Now I have a sophomore (S17) and a senior (D15).</p>

<p>S17 took his first AP test yesterday…AP World. He thought it went well, so we will keep our fingers crossed! He’ll take the World History subject test in June. Hopefully, between the class and the AP test preparation, he’ll be ready to go!</p>