Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

<p>Thanks for the feedback, and I’m going to stay tuned to this thread as time goes on. Re younger S and EC’s; we went to the activities fair for incoming freshmen and he found a few he was interested in. We’ll see where that goes; he knows from his older brother’s experience what some above have said about depth of involvement rather than a zillion small things. I appreciate the tip about keeping tabs on hours.</p>

<p>As far as his ECs go, the real thing is athletics. He’s a terrific athlete. He’s done baseball since T-ball and did a few years of soccer but that dropped off with some overlap in cross country. He’s shorter than average but with unbelievable stamina and a real grace when he runs. As a 5th grader they had a “turkey trot” where most of the upper grades (4th and 5th) ran. He’d never run a race before; it was three laps around the local park. I wasn’t there but he and a neighbor (and two other kids) told me - he lapped everyone but about 10 kids. Ran away from them. Then the next fall in middle school cross, the second race of his life, with 40 6th & 7th graders from three schools - he ran away from them too, won by 45 seconds in the 1 1/2 mile. There’s a girl, same grade as him at his school, who’s unbelievable. After winning state she actually was the national champion last year as a 7th grader. Now he’s not at her level - but it’s because he doesn’t dedicate himself to it.</p>

<p>His real sport though, is wrestling. The kid is a beast. Our HS has one of the top programs in the US (ranked #11 nationally at the end of last season). A huge program, and he’s wrestled with the feeder club for four years. Went to kid state his third year. The head HS coach (Google “Mike Powell” and “ESPN”) knows him and said that (his words) if he applies himself he can be exceptional. This from a coach who put a kid in the 2012 Olympics.</p>

<p>So sports are going to be a big deal for him in HS; I wonder though about what else he might find interesting. He’s not the studier his older brother is, really struggles if the reading is heavy, but he’s strong in the STEM subjects. Maybe mech engineering is in his future, so who knows.</p>

<p>Anyway, thanks again for the advice; I’ll keep tabs here and share with noob parents re our experiences with the older one.</p>

<p>So cool to hear about the amazing things our kids do. </p>

<p>I hope he continues to find joy in using those gifts to their fullest!</p>

<p>In terms of STEM, does your school have any STEM EC? My older son did Science Olympiad and somehow all the mech eng parents came out to coach the kids in the building events. I think some of the parents enjoyed it as much as the kids. It’s an interesting departure from the science they get in school, with competition and hands-on experience complementing the academic. </p>

<p>As a side note, these days I am trying to remember that the amazing things my kids do are what I need to focus on. </p>

<p>My kids are not athletes like yours, and not huge fans of the humanities, but they both have their unique gifts and strengths. </p>

<p>I am trying really hard to encourage and not criticize! My kids don’t need to be a poor copy of someone else, they need to be the best at their authentic self.</p>

<p>I have a rising high school senior and an incoming freshman. From our experience, course selection & rigor vs. GPA is dependent on the individual student. Each kid is different as are their skill levels, energy and interest. </p>

<p>College admins often say that they want to see students taking the most rigorous classes the school offers. But if you know your child struggles in/detests history, skipping AP US History isn’t the end of the world. I personally believe AP’s are a ridiculous notion perpetrated by the college board. But your mileage may vary. </p>

<p>And as other posters have mentioned, EC’s should be something your child enjoys, rather than activities to boost a college app. But we’re a pretty laid back family. No science summer camps or internships. No tiger parenting. Our kids have summer EC’s and we travel, garden, kayak and enjoy our time off.</p>

<p>Agentninetynine-we are somewhat laid back too-it’s our DAUGHTER who sets all her activities in motion! I’ve decided that I am a SHERPA parent-I carry my D’s things, transport her to activities, and point out the right trail when she’s trying to find it. She has always been the leader of the climb, though. </p>

<p>I think she’s got two free weeks between the end of school and the beginning of next year-one on each end of the summer. That is unless she finds something ELSE to join/sign up for. Her list of “what I want to do this summer” had 20 items on it.</p>

<p>My 2017 is passionate about sports. He plays football, wrestles and plays lacrosse. We do not push him to do these activities. This is what he loves. He is an excellent athlete, making the varsity wrestling and lacrosse teams as an 8th grader. He won the spirit and leadership award on the lacrosse team as an 8th grader as well.</p>

<p>My 2014 is passionate about music. He plays percussion and piano. He also plays lacrosse but music is his real passion. He is an All County (no All State yet) percussionist and has earned a superior rating on multiple instruments at both the local and state levels.</p>

<p>It is best for kids to find ECs where they are truly passionate about what they do. The do not need a thousand ECs. They need ECs where they can excel and separate themselves from the pack.</p>

<p>As far as rigor goes I think that you need to be careful. You child is a person. He/she is not a robot. Not every student is capable of taking every AP course offered at their school and getting an A. Students should be able to do things other than schoolwork and ECs. It is ok for students to have time to go to the movies, hang out at the pool, and waste time on FB. </p>

<p>I would be very careful about making sure my kids were “keeping up” with the top kids if they do not have the innate ability. My 2014 is currently taking 2 AP courses (Spanish, APUSH), 2 honors classes (English, Percussion Ensemble) and 2 college prep classes (Physics, Precalculus). He will go to college. His friends who took all college prep classes are all going to college. His friends who took every AP course in the school will also go to college. I wouldn’t make your child miserable over a course.</p>

<p>Novimom, our HS has plenty of STEM-related activities: [Science</a> students win honors for creative innovations](<a href=“http://www.oprfhs.org/news/Science-students-win-honors-for-creative-innovations.cfm?grp_id=9606#.UZQKJitDpQY]Science”>http://www.oprfhs.org/news/Science-students-win-honors-for-creative-innovations.cfm?grp_id=9606#.UZQKJitDpQY) Our HS2017’s older brother (Miami U 2017) is friends with all of these kids; I particularly like Noelani’s orthopedic toe shoe. Matt Hennings’ mom is a bio teacher and gets kids interested in it into lots of activities and competitions.</p>

<p>I also agree with the comment above that while rigor is important, if a kid skips an advanced history class because he’s truly not only not into it but struggles in some areas, better to master what you can.</p>

<p>There is now an announcement on the Parents forum for everyone to see:</p>

<p>[College</a> Confidential - Announcements in Forum : Parents Forum](<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/announcements.html]College”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/announcements.html)</p>

<p>I like it! Thanks!</p>

<p>If anyone is within reasonable driving distance of New Haven, CT and looking for a July activity, I just read that Yale’s Splash program will be running a program every Saturday in July. The summer program is called Sprout and the course roster has not yet been posted, but here is the link where it will be posted:<a href=“https://yale.learningu.org/learn/sprout.html[/url]”>https://yale.learningu.org/learn/sprout.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>My son has attended Yale’s Splash program last fall and this spring, and really enjoyed it. There are more than a dozen of these programs throughout the country, with the largest at MIT. Yale undergrads & grad students teach the courses and run the program. During the fall and spring one-day session, students select the one or two hour classes they wish to take and then move from class to class during the course of the day. The subject material ranges from humanities to mechanical engineering. My son found it a great way to learn a bit about a new subject. I imagine the weekly courses will drill deeper.</p>

<p>Hi HS 2017 - and please forgive the intrusion. </p>

<p>I just wanted to let you know that a thread to discuss the recent creation of this sub forum as well as the renaming of the various threads has been created over in the community pages (link below). If you would like to discuss these changes, please feel free join us there to discuss the changes in an appropriate place (which avoids violating the TOS.)</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/community-forum-issues/1505745-recent-changes-parent-forum.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/community-forum-issues/1505745-recent-changes-parent-forum.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I think the question of rigor has to do with more than just grades, you also have to decide where your kid will thrive. My son has a clear preference for honors level classes. He likes the kids and the level of discussion better. Up until this point he’s been a pretty middle of the road student, and I don’t anticipate straight A’s in high school, but I think he’s ready to make the decision that’s best for him.</p>

<p>We’re at a transition point with EC’s here. My son’s two big EC’s are stage crew, and football. This weekend he’s heading up the stage crew for his last middle school play, and Tuesday he’ll have his first practice with the high school football team.</p>

<p>sseamom:- you are absolutely right!! Yesterday D’17 was sad because she couldn’t get Principal list awards due to her first term has a “B”. This is the first time to see she’s worry about her marks. I was thinking there’s long way to go for D’17. Actually she will have 3 more years’ efforts to apply the colleges. There’s not much time though. </p>

<p>Moonpie’s posts are great. Thank you for sharing with us. I’ve been experienced with S’13’s application process. We didn’t realize what things should be done until grade 10. So we should plan ahead from now.</p>

<p>Happy 3-day weekend everyone!</p>

<p>Eleven more days until middle school is over for S’17 and it can’t come fast enough. Poor kids hates it so much he doesn’t want to go to awards night or the last day festivities. He’s excited for high school which gives me hope that he might actually enjoy school again.</p>

<p>Someone upthread posted about honors classes. There’s no pat answer, especially since some schools/teachers overrate their classes and other downplay the amount of busy work and projects.</p>

<p>Does anyone have any experience with 504 plans for their kids? S17 has missed a huge amount of class this spring with allergies. He’s missed 22 days altogether, and has probably another 16 where he’s spent at least 1/2 the classes in the nurse’s office, or where I’ve had to pick him up. I don’t think he’s made it to English class (last period) in over a month. </p>

<p>The middle school is being accommodating, but has warned us that high school may be less so. They’re suggesting that we write a 504 this year to carry over into next year. </p>

<p>Talking with the high school, the biggest barrier that I see is that they tell me that we can’t write a 504 plan that is “as needed”. So, if he gets extra time to hand in assignments when he’s too sick to complete them, then he’ll always have that extra time. If they pull him out for 1:1 testing when he has a nosebleed or is coughing too loud for other kids to concentrate, then they have to pull him out for every test, or have him sign something for each test “waiving” the accommodation. For a kid who is totally allergy free for more than 1/2 the school year this seems unfair.</p>

<p>And yes, we’re looking at medical solutions, his allergies are just very very severe.</p>

<p>Curious Jane… feel free to pm me. My dd2 has a 504 medical plan.</p>

<p>I don’t have any info, Jane, but I hope you find a resolution! My D had terrible asthma most of her life until we moved to a house that was mostly hardwood floors-there was an instant difference-we haven’t made a trip to urgent care since (at least not for the asthma). Obviously it’s different for your son, but I can imagine how disruptive it is!</p>

<p>We have 14 days left of school here-D is furiously working on her “final exhibition” in which she’ll illustrate what she learned in one project per subject and explain what she could have improved and where she excelled. They do this in 8th, 10th and 12th grades-since this is the first time they’re all freaking out. D loves her school and will be back for high school. We’re having a nice “promotion” event, and D and a boy in the class are the designated class speakers. Last week she was named “Lion’s Club Girl of the Year” for her school. </p>

<p>I can’t believe she’s going into HS. She’s my youngest and last-a whole new universe is out there for all of us. I get weepy at the “kids grow fast” college savings plan commercials these days. :0</p>

<p>Sorry CuriousJane, CC wouldn’t allow me to pm because I don’t have enough posts. We have never had an issue whether she used the extended time or not. It was at her discretion. She also has permission to carry her meds on her. This required a note from her doctor. In her 504 we also have that she can leave the classroom unexcused if not feeling well, carry a cell phone and she has an option of taking her tests at another location. This are all her options, nothing is required.</p>

<p>Thanks Cali!</p>

<p>It sounds like it works well for your daughter. Hopefully we’ll figure out something that works well too.</p>

<p>Curious – your son’s physician should be able to help you in this instance. Be sure to have every possible situation included. DS’s current school refused to do a 504 but we included it in his IEP so he’s been covered. But DS’ middle school has had untreated mold issues for years and administration knows they need to accommodate these kids or the litigation would be endless.</p>

<p>I have to add that DS will be attending a private high school in the city so I’m hoping this will help his allergies and asthma, as it did his sister’s.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I’m hoping we’re past the end of tree pollen here and things will start improving.</p>

<p>I’d love to hear more about kids’ summer plans. If I’ve learned one thing from all these absences it is that being home alone all day isn’t the right choice for my kid. I’d describe him as extroverted but shy so he does well with some scheduled activities to get him out and interacting.</p>

<p>Right now he’s got a bunch of choices, and we’re trying to figure out the best balance of structure and free time. Summer classes, both algebra which he needs and some dance and sports classes that he wants to take, a tech theater “internship”, a couple of very part time volunteer jobs, and some football camps.</p>

<p>I’m curious what other kids are doing, especially if anyone’s got an only child with working parent(s).</p>