Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

@me29034 I’m sorry to hear that. There are so many stories like your husband’s. And I’m sorry about Pitt. My oldest was turned down from his stretch and it still stung. But as someone else said, he would tell you that he ended up where he is supposed to be. And Temple is a great school!

@sdl0625 and @me29034 I am so sorry to hear that. I’ve been laid off twice and it’s a hard thing I’m so many ways. I have PTSD to the point of staying in a job that may kill me.

It can tilt be a blessing. Mine was for a long time but it really does impact the whole family.

Hugs

So sorry to hear about the job losses. I’m also in IT and it’s tough to begin to feel like the old and disposable person.

@me29034 your son could apply to IUP. Might even get a scholarship. I’m glad he has another favorite.

@me29043 I hope he hears good news from Temple soon. They should be getting ready to release decisions (I check the portal daily even though my son applied rolling and still has to audition 3 months from now).

@Acersaccharum it might be worth it to call or email the school again and ask if the CSS profile is required for merit aid. I did this for several schools that were on the CSS Profile list and was told no, it is not needed for Merit Aid. Even one school (I think it was Fordham) who said it is required for any institutional aid. (We won’t qualify for need based aid, so so far, at least, won’t have to go through all the work of the CSS profile).

@TS0104 What I gathering from the rep was that it is not required now, but school policy will change next year and it will be required then. Even assuming D19 should be grandfathered at that point, we have a D21 and that could change our potential for aid in 2 years (though still not very likely). While I hate to give all this info to the College Board, as long as we can explain our unusual tax year, it might grease the skids later if we end up applying for aid. The CSS Profile is only filed once at this school (don’t know if that’s typical).

Interestingly, 3 of 4 schools D is applying to list Merit scholarships on their website by GPA or test scores. We have one acceptance so far that came in exactly as indicated. This school does not list any particular merit awards that way, so we just can’t be certain and feel like we should fill out the forms to hedge our bets.

Yeah, Ithink it is worth it to fill out the forms. The CSS was really not that much more difficult. I am a financial nerd though and prepare a personal quarterly balance sheet and had all my tax records in order.

Then the Fafsa ^

So d19 heard directly from 3 admissions counselors saying they are waiting for SAT scores. She replied that they were sent last week (23rd and expedited!!) and they responded that no, they did not have. Meanwhile CB has been showing them as fulfilled since last week. Anyone have similar experience?

In Naviance it shows initial materials submitted for all schools but 0% and it says transcripts not submitted. I asked about the transcripts a month ago and recently sent an e mail to the GC. She claims all will get in on time (my D applied to 6 schools EA that had due date of 11/1.) My D seems to think all is ok as Naviance is not properly updated as it seems like she has seen stuff on the school portals. My wife is telling me to chill.
It is just really frustrating when the communication is poor. This is a private HS and she only has to look after 45 students. I just want to scream “Do your job!!!”

My understanding EENYMOM is that colleges expect scores, info direct from HS to come late. It is still real annoying though!!!

So the GC submitted her report sometimes between 4:00p and 9:00p local time last night, juuuuuuuust barely getting it in by WPI’s EA deadline.

This means that every single application is in and complete. D19’s still working on scholarship applications, but the lessening of stress is real.

@dfbdfb Woot! Happy weekend of no application pressure. Twin B completely finished as of last night. Twin A mostly done, but portal on ED still not listing receipt of all materials. Next set of deadlines 11/10 and 11/15 for EA.

We need another thread of how to acclimate to post application stress and time suck. Got any snow yet?

@JBSeattle our naviance is only showing initial materials submitted but the common app site and individual school portals are showing everything is up to date, including LORs (no first quarter updates yet because our marking period ends next week).

Many EAs are done, but still two left due 11/10 and 11/15! We plan on spending the waiting time between now and decision time watching “The Haunting of Hill House!” and basically doing anything BESIDES talking about college.

@TwinMom2023, we’ve got snow on the ground (it finally fell this past weekend, which also ended our record-late lack of freezing temperatures), but it’s only an inch or two—but we had our white Halloween, as always. We’ll probably have snow on the ground continuously through March or April now, though.

Coincident with the onset of properly cold weather (9 degrees Fahrenheit when I arrived at my office this morning!), D23 stated her intention of going to college in a place where it either never snows, or if it snows it melts off right away—but the problem is she also wants to go to college someplace sociopolitically liberal. That narrows it down quite a bit, you know? Fortunately, she’s still in 8th grade, so plenty of time for ideas to change.

@dfbdfb:
California, Nevada, Colorado (some snow but sunny a lot of the year) and Florida probably all fit. Plus the majority of these college campuses are very liberal anyways especially somewhere like Arizona where the college is a lot different than the general populace.
Your 8th grader is very forward thinking. When I ask my 8th grader about college she just says she wants to figure out where she is going to high school.

Hi everyone, I am not a parent, I’m actually a 2019 student who falls within this range but I’ve been following this thread for weeks (Finally caught up! 167 pages…!!) My family and I are immigrants, so I tend to know more about this process than they do. I appreciate everyone chiming in on this thread because it has provided a lot of new information and I don’t feel as alone!

Wecome @anaferreira12 and kudos for getting through 167 pages !?

@anaferreira12 :
That should be worth like a $500 scholarship!