Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

My S19 has his first two APs this year and will probably take 4 next year. My only caution for him will be that it might be a pain if he ends up wanting to drop one after submitting college applications. As long as he gets at least Bs in the classes, I don’t see why it would hurt - it actually seems like there is less pressure since admissions are mostly based on the GPA at the end of junior year. I do feel like he may need to make up for a lack of rigor earlier on (he took some “regular” classes in 9th and 10th grade).

They choose classes pretty soon and he’s still not sure which science to take (Physics 2 or Chem), which math to take (AB Calc or BC), or which elective to take (AP Stats or CS Principles). He’s definitely taking AP music theory, English 12, US Gov (honors), orchestra and jazz ensemble.

My oldest took more APs his senior year as well…but in areas he had an interest and made sense. I had put my foot down…no AP Physics or Calc. Worked out well for him. But had been in AP Physics or Calc…oh lordy!

Is it true that admissions is based on junior year GPA? EVen for regular decision where apps are due after Jan 1? Our first semester grades are ready by then and I thought maybe our GC would send the most updated transcripts. Those would include senior year first semester grades.

I think it varies by school. But many, many schools have earlier FA decisions, so we are applying early in almost all cases, hence the knowledge that senior grades likely won’t count for us.

At our high school they calculate class rank early in fall of senior year, based on the first 6 semesters of academic GPA. So anybody who is applying early is using that class rank info for applications. Many schools consider unweighted GPA or have their own weighting system (like the UC’s). Also, when my older D applied ED, her ED school emailed her GC in early December to ask for “grades in progress.”

Would it be better to do 7 or 8 years of medical program vs. the traditional route? what are the positives and negatives about one or the other? can somebody answer that please

@ashmomhk I don’t know about a walk in at UW admissions. The reality is they are a huge state school with thousands of students and aren’t all that great at response. I’d call though, you should be able to see who your admissions rep is online and even if not, they can direct you. The CC to UW path is as good as the planning, so you’d need ot see what the CC offers and meet with them to make sure you have the right kind of path. I’ve been told it is much much easier to transfer in from WA state CC than from a WA private college but I have no direct experience. In the area I do know that Shoreline CC has a strong theater program but I am sure there are others.

No penatly for mutliple ACT attempts and UW is superscoring starting this year but I really ahve no idea if there is a penalty for applying more than once. She could not go to college at a CC while doing a gap year but could work and up the ACT score. It wouldn’t guarantee entry though. I know nothing about IBDP so can’t really help you there.

@Gatormama it’s a tough call on the AP’s. My S17, in this gpa range took 3 and dropped out of one after 1st semester (AP Calc) And yet got into all of his colleges, with merit and no one blinked an eye or rescinded after the drop. S19 is another story entirely and I’m dreading that conversation for next year as we aren’t surviving the 5 AP’s this year all that well.

However…I’m not at all sure it’s the AP classes at all (nor are any of the teachers)…but is just…him. In my experience, we have AP Lang in 11th, it’s not bad at all. 3 of our 4 kids took it and all did well, or are doing ok in S19’s case (a B that should be an A if he turned things in!). I expect S19 to have AP Lit and beyond that, UGH, I don’t know! Probably AP Calc BC, maybe AP CS Principles…but maybe stats, econ, astronomy or who the heck knows. It’s a big mess if you ask me right now. He’d like us to consider the CC route but until he turns in HW…not gonna happen.

@homerdog The answer is it depends. If you are applying Early Action, then you really aren’t going to have Senior grades to for review (maybe Q1). So schools will look at Freshman through Junior year and, in most cases, weight the junior year more. Even for regular decision you can send them in but it gets tricky. I know the counselors in our school suggest you submit them if it will bolster your case.

I think even with EA or ED, a school that reviews holistically is going to be looking at what you are registered for senior year. If your schedule is a total blow off that is going to count against you. If it matches up totally with 9th -11th it probably doesn’t matter much. If it is noticeably more challenging than 9-11 it might raise eyebrows but in a good way. It might result in a deferral to RD because they want to see that you can handle the increased load. A deferral is painful emotionally but if you ultimately get in to the school you want hooray!

First email to actually get our undivided attention - from Roanoke College – titled “Early Award from Roanoke College.”

The school is not on the radar, probably still not on the radar, but they’re emailing blind to offer D a $27k scholarship.

Awesome news, @Gatormama!

I think they must offer to anyone with a pulse, tbh, @OrangeFish … I have no clue what they’re basing it on…

We did a drive by of several smaller LACs last year (HA! I remembered it is 2018! :)) ) including Roanoke College and D’s reaction was she was not a fan of such small schools. (Didn’t like the size of Virginia Tech either, so we have some of The Princess and the Pea factor going on.)

S19 has a $28K per year award offer from Roanoke in his email! I’m guessing they just sent it to everyone with an SAT/ACT over a certain score and a pulse. I live in VA and wasn’t really aware of the school.

I scheduled S19 to visit UMD College Park on Presidents Day (some sort of junior open house) and I’m keeping my eyes open for other events at the schools on the non-existent list. He’s not really engaged enough for the regular tour/info session at this point, so I figure somethings that’s a larger event might pique his interest a bit more. Or not. We’ll see!

I checked D19’s email and she, too, has a $28K per year award from Roanoke. (Should have thought to check the Promotions tab in Gmail.)

D wants to visit three schools, with two of them being repeat visits. We’ll see one on Friday (and meet with a faculty member) and have hotel reservations to visit two over Spring Break (must still arrange for faculty member visits). After those, I think we are done with visiting schools. Any other school visits will be part of portfolio review season starting this fall.

@eh1234 – your idea of piggybacking on a larger event is smart. It’s less intimidating and more fun than the regular tour/info session.

We also got an email from Roanoke, must be from the ACTs. D didn’t check the box on her SATs so never got any unsolicited college mail, but since she has taken the ACT she has a ton of new schools sending mail and e-mail. It’s funny, I had Roanoke on my original list when we were thinking small schools but DH said no because it used to be considered a big party school. (in our day its nickname was Roll a Toke.) I showed him that scholarship email and he was like, “Have fun in VA D19!!” :slight_smile:

I apologize if this has already been asked but are there any engineering schools that will accept kids with a 3.0-3.4 GPA? I think S19 sees himself going down that road. I know he’s like a larger school with strong sports.

@cleoforshort

Absolutely! There are plenty of solid engineering schools that will take B students. Some will even give merit. Varying degrees of competitiveness to get in and it can vary by engineering type (for example I know mechanical is impacted at Colorado State) and for some you don’t declare engineering till junior year so you have to apply and get in, but they definitely exist.

Others will have more to contribute as our search abandoned engineering early on for my S17 but ones that we did consider included Oregon State, Colorado State, University of Vermont, Portland State and the University of Wyoming. Most of the Jesuit schools have excellent engineering programs and can be good fits as well, out west that would be Gonzaga, Seattle University and University of Portland. While we didn’t look at Washington State they also have a solid program.

Varying degrees of sports on the list above but some might fit the bill if west coast (non CA) inclined, depending on budget.

@eandesmom Thank you so much for your reply. I will have him start sniffing around UVM, we are east coasters and I don’t think he will venture west. He says engineering right now (I see him in finance.) I just can’t believe the roll out has begun again, LOL!

Maybe look at UMass, UMaine and UNH too @cleoforshort

Maybe Temple too. UVM does require both physics and chemistry to apply to engineering so I’d check that at all as well.