Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

@eandesmom I didn’t see the “typical white boy” as disparaging at all! I think my kid will have the same issues. He is definitely “pointy” in his ECs, but I don’t think his dedication to music will help him if he decides he wants to do CS or engineering and has nothing on his resume related to either of those fields and few ECs overall. On the other hand, his music credentials might not hold up if he wanted to be a music major. He remains a mystery for now.

@brickkicker I think choosing a school for its longboarding hills is definitely a new one! My S19 is also a longboarder (he’s getting his 3rd? 4th? board for his birthday today). He’s also a snowboarder which may come into play in the college search. That’s probably how I’ll entice him to look at UVM.

@hankster1361 My S19 is also somewhat interested in physics, but have a hard to envisioning this one with a PhD based on his current habits. I guess we’ll see how AP Physics goes.

@eh1234 you might be surprised on the music side. It would really depend on the level of music program he looks at. My S17 who was definitely more pointy than S19 is arguably the lesser musician of the two and did audition for some non major music scholarships. He was offered one music scholarship at one school and while not offered a scholarship at the other (but was offered a theater tech one there) they admitted him to the music school. Which was a bit funny as he hadn’t applied to the music school…just for the scholarship. Our oldest was a music major and a fairly marginal student so I’ve a bit of experience with music at the non selective music school level

I do expect S19 to do some of the same non major music type auditions depending on what his school likes looks like. A minor could be possible, who knows. I think for S19 his activities, while decent and consistent (shows passion and commitment versus bouncing around which is good) are just more “typical” and that may be what hurts…keeps him from standing out.

For CS, his lack of EC’s in that area will definitely hurt. Funny about the longboarding…my Freshman at UVM informed me last week he is taking it up, up there. Someone in his dorm has one he’s been using. Having a blast. They do have hills. Makes me nervous!

@eandesmom Ugh. the longboards. Even here in suburban Chicago, some kids love them. S19 included. Of course, no one wears a helmet. We went out for a spin this summer, S19 on his longboard and me on my bike, and some kids driving were “joking around” and swerved super close to S19 yelling “hi!” to S19. These are kids he’s friendly with and they thought is was funny to practically nip him with their car! If he would have been one foot to the left, he would have gotten hit.

I’m guessing there are fewer cars on a college campus so I bet it’s safer there!

Just made it through the college process with my oldest - D17 was successfully moved in to college a few weeks ago and so far, so good. She is a more conscientious student than S19, so my experience this time around is going to be different, hence, it appears he belongs squarely in this thread.

Before this thread was started, I mostly lurked on the 2017 version of the same thread, both because I felt a little more comfortable there with D17’s stats (though her GPA was good, test scores were a little above average and she was not applying to top schools), and because I was gleaning information for when S19’s search started, since he falls in here best.

A little information about S19 - he’s a mostly low A/mid-high B student, but is only taking CP courses. I would love for him to take a few honors classes and perhaps a couple of APs, but the rules at his school are that he must have 93 or above in the preceding course to be allowed to move up to honors or AP. And of course, with most of his classes, he’s just below that line and then a few definitely down in the B range. The only honors course he is taking is Spanish 3. He’s never been a super hard worker academically, always thinking a B was good enough so not really putting too much effort in despite us telling him we knew he could do better if he tried harder (most of the time). It wasn’t until after freshman year that he really started to listen to us, especially when he saw D17 going through the college application process last year. We also got a really nice email from his religion teacher at the end of sophomore year, a class he had like an 85 in. Unbeknownst to us, he had been going to her for extra help - her email told us that he was very respectful, put forth a ton of effort, separated himself from friends in class so as not to be distracted, etc. She said he and she had had many talks about what is important in life, etc and that she wanted us to know that his grade was not reflective of his efforts and that that would get him much further in life and that we should be very proud of him. The email was so nice it made me cry! Anyway, this was sort of eye opening as we had no idea he was “struggling” but that did make me consider something else that worried me a little…his standardized test scores/PSATs, etc.

Anyone else have a kid who has test anxiety? S19’s scores are very low. Like low enough that at one point I wondered if something was wrong. My younger son has a mild LD, but S19 has never shown any signs. Aside from a fluke semester in middle school where he had a C in math, he’s always been an A/B student. His standardized test scores in elem school were always average/above average but his entrance exam for h.s. was ridiculously low. His guidance counselor mentioned perhaps he has test anxiety. When I saw his PSAT scores, I wondered if maybe she was right. He told me that he does have a hard time concentrating with the reading portions, and that he gets nervous about finishing in time. He took an SAT class over the summer, but I’m thinking perhaps he needs to see someone who might specialize in test anxiety before he takes his first SAT or ACT. Has anyone else here had to do this with any of your kids?

In terms of colleges he’s interested in, S19 is a three sport athlete. While he could almost definitely play D3 in one (lacrosse), he has no interest in doing so, which has surprised his coaches, teammates and their parents after he’s played on this club team since 4th grade. One of the other sports he kind of fell into as a freshman when he was playing one fall sport, but got asked to play a different sport to fill in for an injured player and they realized he had talent (he ended up playing both sports that season - stressful for a new high schooler!). He is now focusing on possibly getting recruited for that new sport. But we are totally novices at this, and recruiting for this sport is different than it would have been for lacrosse, which we were much more familiar with. So, that might be a possible hook for him, but we certainly aren’t counting on it.

Being an athlete and hugely into watching sports as well, he initially expressed interest in attending a school that has a D1 competitive football team but so far, has not expressed interest in one that would even be attainable (this is assuming he didn’t choose a different school based on getting recruited). For instance, he’d love to attend USC but #1) he’d never get in with his grades/stats and #2) there is no way we could afford it. He likes a few SEC schools, but I really think he needs to be in a smaller school. He would love to go to a service academy (dh is a grad from one) but again, his grades/stats are not high enough so his only hope would be to get recruited and most likely do a year of prep school. But then again, I’d worry he’d really struggle academically. I know well what it’s like as we are very involved with the service academy dh went to. With that said, he’s also very interested in ROTC.

So a lot for us to consider here and the process will not at all be similar to D17. On the bright side, I’m a little bit more knowledgeable now and getting a better head start than with D17!

@4kids4us (if your handle means what it sounds like, four kids here, too), I hear you on the test anxiety thing. My D19 has a history of quite bad test anxiety (f’rex, she loves calculus, it comes easily to her, but while her average score on her homework assignments—which she did without any help from parents—was consistently in the A range, she got more Ds than anything else on tests), which is frustrating.

She’ll be taking the ACT February-ish, and she suggested a couple weeks ago all on her own that she should probably take a test prep class for it so as to help her manage the stress, and so we’re wading through those possibilities right now.

@eandesmom I may be picking your brain about music, in that case! It’s difficult to get good info on the lesser known programs over on the music forum since everyone seems like a good candidate for Berklee, Yale, Northwestern, Rochester, etc. S19 has a regional orchestra audition next week - if he makes it, it would put him in the top 30 or so in the state and give him a chance for the all-State ensemble (and maybe the confidence to consider pursuing it as at least a second major). At any rate, I think he’ll at least submit music supplements and maybe even do some auditions to keep the option open. What he will not do is drag his 6 ft. tall instrument to campus in the hopes of eventually playing it in some capacity.

Welcome @4kids4us Your S19 sounds a lot like mine in terms of grades and attitude towards grades (although things improved a bit last year). That email from his teacher is so nice - I would have cried too! I have my doubts that my son’s teachers even know who he is!

@4kids4us - My daughter also appears to exhibit “test nerves”. She knew the material enough to still perform well but she, and I, did expect her to perform better on the math portion of the SAT.

She was two years ahead of her peers in math. Took AP Calculus as a senior and got a 4 on the AP exam (she thought she’d score a 2, maybe a 3). On the math SAT she was just short of 700. With her background in math, she thought she’d score somewhere between 730-770. The SAT goes up to Algebra 2, and she took that in freshman year, so some of it could be attributed to her not being heavily exposed to the material for three years.

Since your son is in junior year, there is still time to help in some of these area’s. As far as his grades, schools do like to see, and give weight, to upward trends. If he is not interested in pursuing some of the three sports, can’t he cut these down by one, or even two. The one or two he really enjoys. College applications is so weird nowadays it seems to be a strategic game as well. Just one organized sport does take up a lot of a students time. More than one must be extremely time consuming.

Since I was aware of my daughter’s test nerves, I set her up with tutors in a couple of her most challenging classes. More importantly, she saw an SAT tutor. This helped her tremendously with her confidence. When my daughter was doing practice SAT tests, I told her to not worry about getting them done on time. As she progressed, she then began to “watch the clock” to give herself a sense of the timing on the actual test.

The SAT tutor primarily focused on math. This is the easier of the two sections to improve quickly with reproducible results. The EBRW section is so subjective. My daughter worked with the tutor on this section in more of a strategic way; managing her time, etc. Taking AP English her junior and senior years also helped as they have timed and graded writing assignments and tests.

Your sons sports will be a very good EC but don’t overlook other EC’s as well. My daughter was a late bloomer (interesting side note; since she was so tiny when she was young, I discussed the “late bloomer” thing with her pediatrician and it has to do with bone age, her’s was behind by two years, they usually catch up later) and by senior year she was 5’3" and about 100 lbs. This did limit her in sports so she focused on her clubs, volunteer work, honor associations, etc. Believe me, in junior and senior year, there’s still plenty of time to strengthen these. Most of her leadership positions were achieved in senior year.

My daughter just started her freshman year at USC. You wrote that your son would love to go there. USC does give out very good financial aid. It will cost me about the same for her to attend USC as her in state (VA) schools.

@4kids4us not test anxiety per-se but my S17 has ADHD and the reading comprehension time he needs, combined with distractibility leads to pretty poor test performance. In his case, meds have helped a lot but so did a test prep class. While his scores aren’t anything exciting, the combination of the 2 got him from an 18 to a 26 on the ACT.

Club can be the perfect option for many kids. My SD14 plays club at her D1 school. She chose the school over a recruitment spot elsewhere and couldn’t be happier.

@eh1234 there are a lot of nice music programs out there for someone who doesn’t want to major or might want a minor only. We definitely used it as a qualifier, looking at schools that had it as an option and then explored $$ from there. In the end he did not haul his trombone to campus. Which makes me a bit sad but he is pursuing other things. For our oldest, he’s done well in a lesser known program with his music degree…for what he wants to do it was all about the connections made at school and it’s paid of in its own way (albeit not financially…but that’s an industry issue, not a school one).

@Hankster1361 YAY! Welcome. Thrilled to have you along (again!). :slight_smile: I won’t be surprised if our kids end up with some schools overlapping but I’ll know more once we get farther into physics this year!

As promised…U of Vermont update. Gloriously sunny day…you could see the mountains on both sides (VT and NY) and the lake. When I saw that coming in I knew we were going to have a good day. Presentation was horrendous…and maybe I’m jaded from having just gone through this with my oldest son. Tour was too long (still not sure why we walked into the lobby of a theater building). That said…

Son loved the school. Thought it had a good feel. Big enough so it didn’t feel like high school (he goes to a HS with about 2300 students), but small enough so he didn’t feel overwhelmed. Liked the tour guides. Liked the flexibility in classes and majors that he talked to the tour guides and a couple of students about. Given the sunny day…lots of kids out and about and he liked that vibe. He is a snowboarder as was one of the tour guides who raved about the outdoors club. Went into Burlington for lunch…he loved that. Just feels like a big college town which it is.

As a parent, I also liked what I saw and heard. His HS sent 20 kids there last year (it’s a big school here in the Boston suburbs)…so I know he can get in with current grades and if he scores well on the ACT.

Very successful day.

@SwimmingDad – as the mom of a theatre kid, I would be pretty frustrated by touring the lobby of a theatre building, too. :slight_smile:

Glad you and your son had such a terrific day at a fabulous school!

@eh1234 you might find this interesting
https://www.thoughtco.com/

@carolinamom2boys Thanks - that’s a cool website that I haven’t seen before, but I wonder if you meant to link a specific article? Or maybe you are just suggesting that I generally educate myself, about . . . everything, which certainly is never a bad idea :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the report on UVM @SwimmingDad - I have this weird gut feeling that my S19 would like it there - so many schools seem too preppy, too sporty, too Greek, too big, too small, etc. I know he could get in based on Naviance, but the tuition is a bit hefty so S would need to maybe actually prep for the SAT and bump those B+'s up more regularly and then cross his fingers and hope for a generous merit award. His HS seems to have about 10-12 applicants per year, most get accepted, but only one or two attend in any given year.

A nice college town and beautiful natural environment can go a long way too. My older kid is in Fort Collins,CO and she just loves it. She didn’t consider UVM because she would have been iffy to get in and merit was not in the picture.

Hi!

My D19 hovers a bit above the max “allowable” GPA for this section, but she’s such a mess in other ways that I’m sure it’ll all come out in the wash. She’s a theater kid, loves environmental stuff, is virtually always cheerful, friendly, sweet, kind, and just a lovely person to be around. But she has ADHD and didn’t get the right medication for it until last year, after Ritalin and Adderal totally disrupted her due to side effects. We are looking at the UC system because her freshman year grades won’t be a factor for them…but she really has her heart set on UCSB and her grades aren’t at that level.

She’ll probably take the ACT in June and again over the summer because I don’t see her having time to study for them before January.

Her older sister, my D17, was a self-directed, highly motivated, academically oriented straight A (…almost) high school student. She used Khan Academy whenever she got stuck and to prepare for the ACT. She would get stressed/tense/anxious about tests but used that energy to study more. She’s a freshman at Colorado College now. I feel like almost NOTHING I learned during D17’s college application process is applicable to D19 because they are such different creatures.

I don’t know if she has test anxiety, we’ll see in the spring! She does get extra time for the ACT, which is good news.

@SwimmingDad The general tour at UVM leaves a LOT to be desired and the presentation is pretty terrible if you ask me. If that’s all we did on our visit I am not sure it would have been enough. The clincher for my S was the academic program information session for his college and then a 1:1 meeting with a teacher. My S was a big theater tech kid and found the lobby aspect of the tour odd, as did I.

@eh1234 UVM is a bit of a wild card with merit. EA definitely helps. Presidential is 15-18k annually and Trustee is 8-13 I think. For the class of 2017 it was not predictable which student would be offered a certain amount, some kids came in lower than I’d of thought and some higher. I really do think they take a holistic look at it (at least for EA) and while it is hefty, for us, the merit offered made it possible for us to consider, though on the upper end of our budget. I was pleasantly surprised by my son’s offer and I really think it was the whole package he presented as his scores alone (3.47, 26 ACT, 6 AP’s) weren’t anything earth shattering, but he had really solid interesting ECs and community service. Interestingly enough, for us, UVM came in lower than CSU would have even though we have WUE. I do like CSU for S19 though and it’s on his list. He is likely to qualify for WUE if test scores come in where they should and it makes it more palatable. He thinks he wants urban but I’m not sure that’s actually best for him or that there is a good fit for that that matches my wallet!

@JenJenJenJen S19 is our 4th to go through this NONE of them have prepared us for the one that followed or the one after that. It’s like starting from scratch each time…really the only thing that has helped is understanding the overall process, cost and time involved and well…some of the lingo and pitfalls. LOL! Welcome!

Hi All,

Joining in for my next round. I was a proud member of the 3.0-3.4 2017 thread for my D17 who is now a freshman at UVM. I actually don’t really even know what my D19’s GPA is and she hasn’t taken any testing yet other than the sophomore PSAT last year where she did…not great. I don’t have high hopes for the PSAT coming up in a couple of weeks, nor for the tests that “count”, which she’ll probably start taking in Feb/March of next year. We’ll probably stick with the College Board tests–my D17 took both SAT and ACT, and did much better with SAT. Having to get through more questions in the allotted amount of time made the ACT a poorer choice for her, and I suspect it will be the same for D19. Trying to apply some of of what I learned the first time around for D19, y’know?

D19 has a 504 in place for testing accommodations (private testing environment), but I wasn’t aware that the CollegeBoard requirements for accommodations was so rigorous or would take so long, so we’re in the middle of that process now–won’t have the accommodation in place for the PSAT, but should have it taken care of for SAT.

D19 is a great kid–but suffers from GI/anxiety issues–she missed about 30 days of school last year. This year got off to a much better start than last year, but she’s still struggling a bit. We tried CBT last year, but she didn’t like it–she is now doing acupuncture and that seems to help (the acupuncturist is serving as a de facto therapist, in addition to the acupuncture). She has her first appointment since the school year began on Monday and it can’t get here fast enough! Time management is hard for her–she needs a lot of down time and her schedule just doesn’t allow for it. She’s working about 12 hours a week and dances about 6 hours a week. Her course load is not that rigorous, though–one AP (APUSH), and two honors courses (English and Physics), with math on-level. She just has to get herself more organized. Last year she technically failed Algebra 2 due to incompletes for 2nd and 3rd quarters (see missing 30 days of school above)–her Alg 2 teacher, however, says that she’s OK and everything’s “all set”–but I have no idea of what that means for her final grade or her GPA. We moved to a new portal system last year that leaves a lot to be desired. The old one provided info on GPA and class rank, and while I’m not a big fan of class rank, if the school is going to rank, then I want that info! Also, you can only view current year information, nothing from previous years.

We also fit into that high EFC, but really can’t afford it category, so either in-state publics (we are in MA) or schools that will offer merit for her qualifications are going to figure large on her list. Still no idea on areas of interest for a major–she says she wants to stay in New England and wants a medium-sized school. This is going to be a big challenge.

Just saw that @SwimmingDad toured UVM! We had the same experience with our formal visit for my D17. The info session was excruciating. We actually liked the tour (but maybe that was just because it was a relief to be out of the info session and by comparison it was just a lot better). We had visited informally once before in the spring before our fall visit last year and got a great vibe from the place–and we both loved Burlington. As it turned out, this was the only school she really could see herself at, out of the 10 she applied to. It’s still early days yet, but she seems happy there.

Agree on the UVM merit. My S17 (still learning the lingo!) received enough merit to make it affordable. He was a 3.4-3.5 and 31 ACT…great extra curriculars and a compelling backstory. S19 will probably have similar/slightly lower grades and scores…not great ECs (he is a dabbler in lots of things)…and a fairly compelling story as well. He is actually an excellent writer so I think his essay will really shine. But we will see…it will be a crapshoot as always.

That said, I can understand why kids seem to like UVM. It definitely has a lot going for it.

We should start a list of colleges that have been proven to actually appreciate “back stories” and admit holistically, rather than just give lip service to the concept.

Loving this thread! My D19 has about a 3.6+, but first try at PSAT was under 1000. She is in an IBCP diploma program and so will have 2 IBHL classes over the next 2 years (Bio and World History). She is in advanced math and will take either AP Calc or Stats next year. Took APUSH as a sophomore. Finally, she is a committed year-round athlete and plans to continue in college. We’re hoping the GPA sticks and we can then just focus on test prep.

We are focusing heavily on CTCL schools and will consider small D1’s as well. We visited Willamette and Puget Sound this week - liked both for different reasons. Also, Seattle U. All great options.

^^ Hi, just dropping by from the '18 and '21 threads but do you mind sharing thoughts re: Puget Sound and Willamette?

Btw thanks again to @eandesmom for continuing the “3.0” threads. Those handful of threads are some of the best resources on CC.