Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

I’m sure I’ve suggested this one before but… St Bonaventure has ROTC. It’s in NY just over the PA line. I used to know staff that lived in Reading and worked at SBU.

Towson and Loyola are very close to Goucher. Towson is actually walkable, although I’m sure no one actually walks. Loyola is not that far, and main bus routes run between the two. I know, no student is going to ride the bus, but bikes work too.

I don’t think many Goucher students are in ROTC

@mom2twogirls St. Bonaventure looks great! Alas, S19 wants to stay within two hours of home. And while we are in PA, we are an hour north of Baltimore/DC. So he has ruled out upstate New York.

@twoinanddone I’m a Loyola Maryland alum. So I hear you. He could totally walk from Goucher to Towson U. And there is a free bus line that runs between all of the Baltimore colleges. I just think it might be overwhelming to try and manage all of that while also adjusting to college. And yeah, I totally don’t think there are a lot of ROTC kids at Goucher.

I am surprised and not surprised that Goucher has stayed on the list. As a quirky, nerdy kid, He would fit right in there and absolutely loved it when we visited. Then the ROTC thing came up and it changed the list completely. :slight_smile:

@bjkmom; @Acersaccharum; @InfiniteWaves - Thank you for the welcome. I think what drove us to VA/NC is that D19 wants to at least have the option of continuing her equestrian hobby, so that limited the search a bit. All the VA schools have club teams whereas the PA/MD schools are less so. She’s not definitely riding, but would like to keep her options open. She also wasn’t crazy about the idea of the eastern PA area - too close to home and too many kids from this area.

@eb23282 Speaking of Goucher (see above), they have a nationally ranked equestrian team. The school is in the suburbs and has a rather bucolic campus. But students can walk to the main Towson area and it is also close to everything that the city has to offer.

@eb23282 College of Charleston is a little further south, but they have an amazing equestrian team, as does the University of SC .

Thanks @carolinamom2boys. I love the idea of CoC but the location is not what she’s looking for. And USC is simple too big. Ideal size is 3-6k, and anything over 12k is much too big.

^ Hollins University? Though <1K students

@eb23282 if Eastern PA is too close, Centenary might be also. But they have a big equestrian program. My neighbor’s kid just graduated and rode there.

Yes, Centenary is way to close. We’re in NJ and she’s looking to get out - lol. And while an equestrian club is of interest, it’s not the main focus of her search. She simply wants that option, so naturally schools without a team will not make the cut.

Two of the small LACs we toured had equestrian programs, Knox and Earlham. These are smaller than your ideal size but might be worth a look. In Illinois and Indiana, if you are open to the Midwest.

@eb23282 have you looked at St. Mary’s College in MD? It is a very well-regarded public liberal arts college, rural but beautiful waterfront location in southern MD. It has an equestrian club as well. The sons of two of my neighbors are starting their senior years there and love it. In MD, it’s known as the “private school education at a public school price” (tho of course that doesn’t apply to you as you’d be paying out of state tuition) but that is the reputation it has.

We loved St. Mary’s, but it is very, very rural. The nearest town is a car ride away and it’s barely a town. This was enough to cross the college off of our kid’s list. If your kid loves nature and loves the water, St. Mary’s would be an ideal place to go.

@eb23282 did I mention Quinnipiac U in Connecticut here already? Has 6K students and 2-3 hours from NJ. My D had a very positive experience there. PM if you want!

Edit–oops - they probably do not have an equestrian team :slight_smile:

Posted this in the Parents…2019 forum but thought you guys might like it. Some are definitely out of reach for my 3.0-3.4 D20, but whatever you can glean from it:

Home from our Southeast college road trip and ready to report. We had so much fun, and I loved all the schools. Here is our summary take on each one (some I posted about before):

Elon University – So beautiful! Loved the admissions presentation and the tour, even though guide was new. Meets S19 goal of pre-med prep (75% acceptance >507 score), high retention rate. Did not like: On their own for housing after two years. They are building more dorms though, so wondering if there will be more for juniors? It seems that its not too hard to get housing though. S19’s #1 school so far. D20 not applying – liked it but did not see living there.

Clemson – Great campus, also beautiful. Liked that buildings seemed close together and made large campus feel smaller. Liked the history and everyone truly seemed happy (voted one of the happiest campuses). Seemed a little too sports-minded for our kiddos (versus VTech which seemed more rounded in focus even tho it’s also very sporty). This made S19 question if he could see himself there. He wants to play club baseball but sports are a small hobby for him. He is more interested in hiking, fishing, and video games which I am sure Clemson has. Will probably apply and give another look. D20 loved it, even though she has no athletic ability and has social anxiety. She just felt at home and will apply. Go figure!

Furman University—Pretty campus – seemed very spread out. Maybe it was the (fun) golf cart part of the tour that made it feel that way. Nice science building. Tour guides/staff showed their love of the campus. Info session was okay, kind of lack luster after seeing all the other colleges. It was nice to see kids names on the welcome TV board. Big shpeal about how they WILL get busted for alcohol – even if 21 and someone else had it in their room. Dorms were nice. Neither kid disliked anything but neither are applying.

College of Charleston – Loved the campus, in the heart of the city…we walked to Fort Sumter tour in 15 min I think. And visited a Cat Café. The info session was very informative although speaker wasn’t the best. Really liked the trivia slide show we saw while waiting for program to start. Neat graduation set-up on the grounds all in white. Dorms were standard/doable. Programs all seemed good, including Pre-Med assistance. Business school really cool – including entrepreneur program. Practice fields seemed a bit far away if I recall, but since S19 just doing club baseball, that works. Loved the honors building and S19 hoping to get in for honors. Both kids definitely applying.

Virginia Tech – Another beautiful campus! Loved that walking the whole campus one side to other only takes 10-15 minutes. Loved surrounding area for food, etc. and best tour guide. Talked a lot about their being voted best college food. A lot of clubs (almost 1,000), majors, and things to do. Only thing did not like again was the no guarantee after freshman year to live on campus. (I think this is just something we will have to deal with in all of these colleges.) Both applying.

U Richmond – Loved (of course). Buildings seemed a little farther apart. Cafeteria looked yummy….dessert always available! Beautiful lake and campus. Really loved the option of getting paid for internships/coops through the school if the internship does not pay. Great programs, everyone seemed very happy. Reach for S19, probably off the table for D20. S19 applying. If he makes it in, I think we will really give it a good look.

Emory U—It felt so home-y and quiet in the middle of the city…suburban but not. Loved the grounds and the museum, which we went to afterwards. Free for students who tour, $8 for parents. Worth it! Best info session – counselor was so articulate. Great pre-med info given. Interesting Engineer program – 2 years at Georgia Tech. Dorms were fabulous! Large, air conditioned (of course). D20 loved it but probably out of reach. D19 liked it but couldn’t see himself there (not sure why), so not applying.

Wake Forest - Ended up not going (up/down/up/down) because he didn’t want to worry about the interview or lack of merit as he is on the cusp, and now there are so many other good options.

Summary: I loved every college. S19 applying to: VTech, URich, CoC, Elon– and these are his top four over the other colleges applying to: TCNJ, Stockton, Quinnipiac, maybe Villanova. (Might add a few other colleges). Clemson may stay on list/may come off.

D20 applying to: Clemson, VTech, CoC and whatever else we tour next year.

Furman off the list for both – gorgeous and nice school – I think it just felt too spread out and too small (although Richmond still staying on list for S19 even though small).

Hope that helps!

@cakeisgreat if your son is really interested in the Honors College at CofC , I suggest that he reach out with some questions to show interest. Also , like on social media. We actually met with The Honors College on a tour. Robby is very helpful. Dr Folds Bennett ,the Dean if the Honors College is amazing. DS16 was part of the Entrepreneur Living Learning Community as a Freshman. Great opportunity. Also, Google the ICAT program . Good luck. You have some great options.

Looking for some feedback. D19 is interested in pursuing a degree in either early childhood or elementary education with a special education adder if possible. She is working at a daycare summer camp this summer and a couple of the teachers have told her that they wished they had pursued a degree in something else and then added the teaching certification so that they had another options. D19 is now getting nervous that if she ends up not loving teaching she will be stuck with no marketable skills.
Any thoughts on pursuing something more general, maybe the liberal arts path and then adding a teaching certification in a 5th year. Like to hear thoughts/suggestions from anyone who has or is heading down this path.
Just when I thought we had this all figured out.

@DCNatFan – my D19 is facing similar questions but on a secondary education level. She spoke with teachers doing what she would like to do (teaching theatre) and unanimously they said she should major in her content area first, and then add on the teaching certification later on (if she still wishes to pursue that path).

It makes sense at the secondary education level but IMO not at the elementary school level. Although adding the special education part is very smart. In NY at least, it would take 18 months (if lucky) to 2 year beyond the first degree to get the elementary education degree added.

@DCNatFan I have heard of that in secondary education, but not in early or elementary education.