Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

I hear ya! I know its like that for a lot of us!

Hi. I’m new to CC. my odd is a young 16 and currently a jr. She had a rough first two years 
 dx’d with Type 1 Diabetes second semester of freshman year. She also has slow processing speed, so it takes her about 3x longer to finish her homework than the average student. She’s currently in therapy for depression and anxiety resulting from the T1D dx.

EC - debate club, art club
Volunteer - none
GPA - 3.4 unweighted
PSAT - 860 sophomore year. She has serious test anxiety that we’re working on with a tutor
SAT/ACT - none taken yet
Job - none
Honors/AP - none yet. English teacher wanted her to do it this year (our school offers Language jr yr and Liturature sr yr), but she thought it’d be too much for her to handle. She’s in accelerated Integrated Math 3. Plans to take AP Art.

She wants to go away to school: UH-Manoa and Chaminade U are her top 2 right now. I feel like while it’s possible, there’s no guarantee. Living in CA (specifically competitive Silicon Valley) has given us the feeling that she’s not going to get in anywhere other than community college. CC is a fine choice, not what she wants.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

-Susan

Welcome @crazyfordir ! Best wishes to your D after a rough two years of school. My D is taking AP Art (2D) this year and she seems to be “coming into her own” thanks to the course.

What types of art does your D enjoy?

She enjoys drawing the most - pencils are her favorite. She’s asked for painting classes for a Christmas present. How about your child?

I know it’ll all work out the way it’s supposed to 
 it’s just hard knowing all she “should” be doing vs what she’s actually doing to get into school.

We’ve talked about doing a Gap Year to give her time to mature and get herself a little more together. She’s amenable to that but she’s not sure what to do during that time kwim.

@Acersaccharum I answered your Willamette science question on another thread, but I thought I’d pop in here to encourage you to also look at Lewis and Clark and to discuss Salem. L&C and Willamette were D17’s top choices and they are very similar in terms of their science programs and in myriad other ways. I know L&C is not a CTCL school, but I think that is chiefly because they are better known and they are in Portland so they don’t need the extra boost of being a CTCL school.

On the money side, Willamette’s NPC was 100% accurate for us. L&C actually gave D more than their NPC predicted. However, Willamette’s offer was enough better than L&C’s to tip the scales for us.

As for Salem, no, it is not the greatest college town. On the other hand, D17 enjoys being able to walk to the downtown mall (which has Nordstroms), restaurants, etc. Portland is a $12 Amtrak ride (the Amtrak station is across the street from campus), and D17 has also visited Eugene. One of Salem’s nicknames is “the hour city” because it’s an hour from Portland, the mountains, Eugene, and the coast. There is also a zip car station where students as young as 18 can rent a car. It’s located right on campus. And there are 2 shuttles that run between most of the OR college towns-Eugene, Corvallis, Salem, Portland, etc. And Willamette offers tons of outdoor programs at a very low cost $10-$50 (contrasted with L&C’s which can be hundreds of dollars). In fact, D was just chosen as an Outdoor Programs Leader. So really, when Salem starts to feel too boring, it is easy to get away.

We didn’t look at UPS only because I have a brother in Portland so logistically Portland or Salem is easier for us than Tacoma. We didn’t look at Reed either, but I think 93Pilots son is a freshman there. You can find him on the 2017 thread.

Thanks again, @NolaCAR . WU was preferred over UPS after our visit. We didn’t have time to look around Salem, so I appreciate the info. Their outdoor trips sound fabulous, and fairly easy access to/from Portland are good. NPC showed a very nice merit aid possibility. Big plus: the students seemed laid back but studious, and lacked the pretentiousness of some east coast LAC’s we’ve seen.

D19 plans to swim in college and while UPS has the bigger, faster team, L&C is slower than WU, so I think it’s a non-starter. HA!

@crazyfordlr – my D is big into digital media, and she is concentrating on traditional (film) photography and digital photography for her AP Studio Art class. She is also a young 16 (summer birthday) and had a rough two years for the start of high school. She seems to be doing better this year, but we’re only 5 weeks in – trying to be hopeful and optimistic. :slight_smile:

@crazyfordlr, will your family likely need financial aid for your daughter to attend college?

My daughter (now in her mid-20s) had approximately a 3.4 GPA in high school. She had a high ACT score but I think her GPA reflected her interests and abilities as much as the test score did. She wanted to go away for college, too, and she did, to southern California. So I know that there are many schools there for students in my and your daughter’s cohort.

Financial aid would be nice as we don’t want have to take out a HELOC or loan, and she has a younger sister. Realistically I know we’ll likely only qualify for PPL and student loans. I only work pt right now, so upping my hours will help.

As far as careers are concerned, art therapy is her current thought. So psych undergrad with maybe an art minor, or at least studio art electives.

@rosered55 which SoCal schools are you referring to? Ideally my dd wants out of CA completely.

My daughter went to the University of Redlands. I think her financial aid was a mixture of need and merit, so if your daughter is eligible only for merit, I don’t know if Redlands would work. And obviously it’s in California! But she got into schools in the northeast and midwest, too. She submitted an art portfolio and did a lot of studio art in undergrad; now she’s concentrating on writing.

So we’ve added a school to the list – Columbia College of Chicago.

Anyone here in the Land of Less Than 4.0 Unweighted GPA know anything about the school?

@crazyfordlr Welcome :). My S19 is also a T1 diabetic, diagnosed when he was 10. Just wanted you to know that there are a few more of us parents with T1 kids on CC. I recently had a scare of not being able to wake my son up and others reached out to me in private msging. It is incredibly difficult and stressful for our kids because not only are they dealing with the typical teenage angst, academics, ECs, and stresses their peers are dealing with, but to add T1 on top of it
it is alot. I lurk in this thread and other 3.0-3.4 threads because while my son’s gpa might be higher, his SAT score may be average. And I have a daughter who graduates in 2020 who’s gpa is definitely within the B range. Plus I relate more to the down to earth real world vibe of these threads and learn alot from them. If you need anything, please do not hesitate to PM me. Our kids’ T1 is stressful for us parents too and it helps to talk.

Thanks @4MyKidz we’re about 18 mos into dx. I know it’ll all work out the way it’s supposed to. I just wish she could get what she wanted kwim. I want her to have a “typical” college experience. But reality is she will have her own experience.

@crazyfordlr I completely understand. But know that T1 doesn’t have to hold her back in anything other than joining the military. My S19 is 6’1, 205 lbs, 4.0 gpa, football/track athlete, who plays the bass in the orchestra & I just learned that he has a cheerleading girlfriend?!. And he gives himself 4-5 shots a day (uses pens) depending on carbs/sugars. Yes, I worry, but we’ve promised that we will not hold him back from enjoying his life
even if that means that he chooses a faraway college. Just like we support him in all his other endeavors, we will make sure he has the medical care & medical technology he needs to be successful
even if that means tht we cutback on other expenses to afford it. Also, it helps to attend JDRF events in your area. My son has been able to hear from & hang out with other T1 teens and collegiate T1’s. That has also been a big help.

I’m so lost with my D19. She gets good grades but her high school is not competitive at all. Her PSAT was 1000 and she is taking the SAT soon but I think it would be a miracle if she ever scores above a 1200 (expecting a 1100 maybe). She isn’t an anxiety tester - she is just a 1100 SAT student. She is a 3 sport varsity athlete (not interested in more than club in college) and in tons of clubs/leadership positions. We live in Maryland. She doesn’t want to go north for college (wants VA or NC). She wants mid size (so small LAC out the window) with a sports presence and we make too much money for need aid. I have run some NPC’s and its gloomy. We can pay maybe $25K a year ourselves and I would prefer she not take loans but if she took the subsidized ones, we would pay them off for her. So, $30K a year.

Does anyone have any ideas? She doesn’t like Salisbury or Frostburg (though I may drop the mom card on those). She could probably never get into our main Public (UMD CP) because its very competitive. She couldn’t get into OOS publics, nor would they need budget. I’m just not sure where to even look anymore.

There’s a program with some southern state universities where they’re reciprocal with Maryland and you can pay in-state tuition.

https://www.sreb.org/academic-common-market

@ninakatarina - thank you. I actually see a couple that might work.

@ninakatarina - thank you. I actually see a couple that might work.

@cotton2017 Look at UNC-Charlotte or UNC-Wilmington or UNC-Greensboro. That’s where I was looking for awhile for my D. We haven’t visited (yet) but reviewed a lot of literature and were impressed.