Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

@me29034 congrats on finding a school that he absolutely loves and sounds competitive for admission. Thousands of “average” kids get into their first choice schools. I hope that our sons are one if them. Good luck to your son.

@me29034 For whatever it’s worth, Naviance stats for Temple from our school are 57% acceptance rate with 3.26/1307 avg. This is on 69 apps. Everyone over 1120 seems to have been accepted and this includes many with mid-upper 2’s GPAs.

@me29034 average Naviance stats from our school regarding Temple are around 1300 SAT ( some a little below), and weighted GPA just over 4. Suburban school in MA for reference. Not many rejections at all, the scattergram is mostly green, some rejects were very low GPA and sort of low SAT

Good luck.

@me29034 Temple is probably in my son’s top 2 - now he just needs to get past the audition. We all really liked the campus.

Temple does have their 25/75 percentile figures in their common data set. At the info session, they also mentioned that they use weighted GPA.

@me29034 That’s wonderful to find a good fit. I have several friends with kids at Temple who are incredibly happy there. I’d suggest reaching out to the HS guidance counselor for a little intel (if you haven’t already). I’d also imagine that if he is in the middle like that Temple knowing it is his number one could sway them. They are still playing the “Yield” game like everyone else. In terms of that 50%…I hope this doesn’t come across wrong, but I would imagine that since CC is a self selecting group many of the 50% don’t have parents on CC who are thinking deeply about admissions. Your son is fortunate to have you in his corner!

Thanks everyone. The data that Temple gave us said average was 1235 SAT and 3.53 weighted GPA. S has a 1220 SAT and is at 3.75 weighted so he’s pretty much right on. All the people from our high school that have been rejected were below 1100 SAT but there is a big blank area on the graph where S is that has had no applications. They don’t release EA results until early January so it may be a long wait to find out. I doubt our guidance counselor has much insight or relationships given that there have been so few applications there.

@me29034 Based on last year’s Temple Class of 2022 thread, they start releasing admissions decisions in early November (about a week after the EA deadline).

@me29034 your kid seems like a good candidate for Temple, it’s good he found a place he likes so much. That’s greaf.

Yey @me29034 - It is so great to find colleges the are great fit and have the vibe your S is looking for!

Promised somewhere I’d write a review of the last two tours S19 went on last week - Rowan and Marist. I’ll post in the other 2019 and 2020’s threads - feel free to scroll right on by if you’re on all of them :slight_smile:

Marist - wow what a pretty campus right on the Hudson. About 5000 students. Every building has open windows facing that area. I was mesmerized, which could be good or distracting depending on how you look at it ha! Info session was boring but key takeaways are their study abroad programs and their internship/research. Many majors require at least one, sometimes two internships. This info session was the first time I heard anything said about psychology - people in that major have to do 2 internships or research opts to graduate. This appealed to me because D20 wants to go that route. I will bring her next year. Also, they built a new science building with all the latest stuff across the highway (other part of campus) which is walkable through an open underpass. They added PA program, have a medical technology program with 100% job placement, and either OT or PT (cant remember which). Tour guide was okay. Mentioned community service was really big on campus (used to be a Catholic college but no longer). Campus was bustling (for a medium size) which was nice to see…The guide new everyone and said hi by name to everyone who passed, including staff. I liked that. No major complaints…if I had to nitpick, it does seem preppy, but for us, that’s not a problem unless the people are snobs, which they didn’t seem to be. Cost might be too expensive. We’ll see. We toured because I have a friend who graduated from there in Finance and got a job immediately at Morgan Stanley I believe and 2 years later now works with Oppenheimer. Not bad. He also said the sciences are hard but not impossible and job placement seemed good - no complaints from his friends. All got jobs. Don’t know much about Poughkeepsie, but it looked adorable from what we saw. Loved that walking bridge! Definitely applying.

Rowan - Nice looking campus in the middle of town (seemed). Very clean! Very big. For NJ folks, it felt to us like Rutgers-lite. If you like a big school with a central town street full of restaurants, etc., you’ll really like Rowan. The Marriott was right there for parents. Info session focused on it being a good value, which it is - cheaper than other NJ schools. First t-shirt received! Nice business school, all the perks. Went through engineering and explained a lot about social life. Definitely trying to sell that they are not a suitcase school and have a lot to do, even on weekends. S19 ended up not liking it though but could be because tour guide talked ahead while walking (away from audience), so no one heard her and she did not talk at all about STEM (except engineering) which he is interested in. Did not see the science building. Only knew about education which was her major. The history about the campus was nice but she kept saying “we dont use this for anything” and “this is backwards but whatever” and “that building is haunted.” Did not talk about the college education or job placement or anything we were interested in and did not have answers when we asked. Also, they made us park on the 3rd floor of a parking deck in the sun far enough away that we got lost (and another family also) trying to make our way back to admissions. There was no helpful signage anywhere. And there were a thousand empty parking spots on the 1st and 2nd floors. Not bringing D20 - will be just too big and confusing for her.

@cakeisgreat I went to Rowan when it was Glassboro State. That whole area you mention didn’t even exist then! The campus isn’t actually that confusing bc the majority of life doesn’t revolve around downtown, especially for freshmen. What my S17 liked about it was the big feel but small class sizes.

I really want D21 to look at Marist but I hesitate bc from what i’ve Seen even with top merit the cost is going’s to be really high!!! Did they mention anything about that?

One of my nephews graduated from Marist, and one of his younger brothers is currently enrolled. I think the family has been very happy with the school.

@me29034 Congratulations. We were just in Philly and stayed by Temple. It looked great. Excited for you to have fit school as #1.

@cakeisgreat Thank you for reports. I’m trying to talk husband into one last trip to the NE for Twin A. The IBM relationship with Marist sounds top notch too.

Meanwhile, anyone have thoughts about Fairfield U. party scene for my introvert nerd? Is it being curtailed? It checks many boxes, but would be a long trip (10 hours) to throw on the list at this point.

@verycrazymom I actually wouldn’t suggest Cal Poly, unless he is absolutely sure of his major and even then it would be a reach. Cal Poly Pomona would be an option if you wanted to add it. It is very difficult to change majors at SLO, I can’t speak to Pomona but suspect it is similar.

There are certainly some lovely private options that I wouldn’t consider mediocre at all and might offer your S some merit $$ but they will certainly be more than your CSU or UC options.

@me29034 That sounds like a very productive trip! Temples full common data set for 2017 is available online

http://www.temple.edu/ira/documents/data-analysis/common-data/2017-2018.pdf

@cakeisgreat also a great visit report! I’ve heard lots of lovely things about Marist, glad it was such a good visit.

@NJWrestlingmom yes I am very concerned that it will be pretty high even with getting some merit. They didn’t talk much about affordability, and funny S19 noticed that. He is concerned about cost because he does want to try for med school and wants to space out the funds. It will definitely cost more than we can afford each year so he has to contribute extra if he wants to go there like my daughter did for Quinnipiac. When I looked it up on the government website (can’t remember the name but it lists how much tuition rises by percentage) and Marist was 3% which is higher than many schools. Rowan was only 1.5% I believe or even lower. That is a positive for Rowan! I wish my son liked it because it would’ve been a good add to our NJ applications. But he really liked Marist so I’ll keep you posted when we hear.

@me29034 not urban, but worth a visit. IUP gave my son whose stats were similar to your son $4,000 in scholarships.

He applied early and got his acceptance at the beginning of September.

Good luck to your son for Temple admission!

Does anyone have thoughts of normal campus tour/info session vs. an open house? We have toured a lot (but not enough?). D19 is interested in Fairfield, but is it really a fit school for a B student and if so worth extra vacation time for open house day? [As an aside, the past two Octobers have brought serious, unrelated health issues and I can feel my anxiety creeping up at planning an Oct. trip]

Thank you.

@TwinMom2023 We have attended just one Open house and boy was it packed. The upside, though, is we got the full tour of the health science building and labs and time with professors and students. It was a full day. Hubby and D19 just went back recently for smaller dorm/facities and tour and interview. All of our other visits have been info sessions and tours but she did have an interview at another one of her top choices. I guess there are +/- s to either but maybe for top choices do both?

Question re: Naviance. I am wondering if we are not doing something correctly, but our scattergrams show no data. Is this because there is no data for our school?

@EENYMum I assume you mean for a specific school, then yes. Or too few students such that their info would give the individuals away.