Parents of the HS Class of 2021 3.0-3.4

@lisabees The sign-up indicated a lecture option. It ended up being an option to participate in a mock psych class or having the opportunity to chat with professors in different disciplines. Psychology is one of D21’s areas of interest so she went with that. It was a small group in the class.

Honestly, there is going to be a lot of overlap between many of the LACs. One thing I really want to get more insight into is how the school is handling bringing students back on campus with covid and whether they are creating a safe and positive environment for the students. I have some concerns here. I am working under the assumption that the vaccine will be in widespread use and campus life will be a little more normal by the fall but who knows.

Ah - thanks for letting me know about the lecture/class.

I reached out to the admissions rep with the same concerns. The other week Knox addressed this, saying they realize these kids will have an even more difficult transition during freshman year. Most kids will have been getting educated virtually for over a year. They haven’t been social. There’s a huge leap to make from isolation to living on a college campus and, in my daughter’s case, in a completely different part of the country in a school with a majority of Michigan students. Now, this certainly isn’t on my D’s mind, but it is on mine. Knox mentioned developing specific programs/systems to address this. But I need to ask for specifics. A program in theory is not the same as one in practice.

I will let you know what I hear from K!

3 Likes

Congrats to everyone on the acceptances and decisions.

D and I visited Oregon State yesterday. They aren’t doing any organized tours or admissions stuff (we did the online presentations in the fall) so we did the self-guided tour. It gave a decent feel for the campus but there weren’t a lot of students around, and the only building we could go in was the student union. Corvallis seems like a nice town but again it was hard to get a good feel for it. She really liked the weather - cold, rainy and dreary is her thing, although we did actually see the sun. :slight_smile:

She already was down to OSU and Montana State and said she was about 75% to MSU. I think she is going to go with MSU, it helped that we visited last Feb. so she got to see it in full action. But we could tell from the way she was talking about it that she really liked it. She’s received the WUE scholarships from both. MSU is a bit cheaper so that’s my preference, and it’s a little easier to get to. We’re in Denver and there are more more flights to Portland, but then it’s a 90 minute drive. There are enough flights to Bozeman and it’s only 15 minutes from the airport to campus.

5 Likes

My coworker was a music major at Temple back in the day, dropped out to go on tour with the Stylistics in their touring band.

4 Likes

Montclair state came up with 3K grant to encourage students to live on campus.

At this rate I can almost afford it and cash flow the entire thing this year (less Stafford loan) they estimated their costs quite high as far as I can tell.

6 Likes

I don’t know about Montclair, but I can tell you our actual cost for my son at Rowan wasn’t nearly as high as what they publish. I think it was closer to $27k with room and board. Montclair is probably the same way.

2 Likes

Anyone familiar with the UTK Volunteer Bridge Program? My son was offered this by Tennenesse (or first semester abroad - London/Milan/Costa Rica). He was disappointed, but is warming to the idea. He’s waiting on a couple more deferrals before he makes his decision. He’s not the adventurous type, so he has no interest in going abroad (surprised this is even an option). We’re not super excited about paying out of state rates for CC, but he would live on campus and have access to everything which is nice.

I can see your point, but you would save over 13,000 in tuition the first year (out of state UTK vs. out of state CC).

1 Like

It’s not terrible. Should have said we should be eligible for in state tuition in 2022 with his major and Academic Common Market. I think he’s most concerned with people knowing he’s in the program and feeling “different”. I don’t think he has to tell anyone if he doesn’t want to.

So we are done here, waiting to hear University of Delaware where D was deferred EA but just out of curiosity. D has accepted a place at James Madison University (EA) where she plans to be a management major.

13 applications, 12 acceptances either rolling or EA, and one deferral.
Acceptances: University of Arizona with merit, Arizona State with merit, Rowan with merit, Auburn with merit, East Carolina with merit, Towson, UNC Charlotte, UNC Wilmington, Florida Atlantic U, Rutgers NB SAS, and Elon ( which we liked a lot but too small for D), JMU which was always her favorite and the deferral from U.Del.

We definitely had a budget hence the school selection. D did not want to apply to schools in NE. Wanted biggish with school spirit, Greek system, business school and study abroad options. Kid is very happy and we are done. Good luck to everyone still in the process.

23 Likes

Congrats. JMU is a great school, and it also sounds like it checks many of your boxes.

3 Likes

Congrats! JMU is awesome! I can totally see my D there! She did love Miami on our visit, too. Please pray (or whatever you’re inclined to do!) that she gets into their honors college. That may seal the deal!!

4 Likes

Fingers crossed. Sending positive vibes for your D.

2 Likes

Update for my student. Can’t remember what I last posted, so I’ll put all decisions in this post!

Montana State: Accepted with $8000/yr merit
Arizona State: Accepted with $15k/year merit, waiting to hear on Barrett
Western Washington: Accepted with $1k/one year merit
Washington State: Accepted, no merit
Miami OH: Accepted with $18k/yr, accepted to Honors College
University of Arizona: Accepted with $12,500/yr merit
Gonzaga: Accepted with $22k/yr merit
Cal Poly: Waiting to hear
University of Washington: Waiting to hear

He has declared top three to be Miami OH, ASU, and Gonzaga. We are visiting each at the end of March. My husband and I are hoping he falls for Miami as it just seems so community-oriented and like such a nice place.

Reminder of “stats” for future parents: 3.489 uw GPA, 33 ACT, all dual enrollment classes junior and senior years, applied to engineering/computer engineering at most schools (all except Miami OH, where he applied to Emerging Technology in Business and Design).

16 Likes

@RoonilWazlib99 Id love to hear about the Gonzaga visit. Congrats on so many choices!

1 Like

Hi, Parents! I hope it’s okay to come into this thread to ask for your wisdom and experience. My S24 (freshman in high school) has college as his goal, but is dyslexic. He does well verbally, but his writing and spelling are in the bottom 7%. We are lucky that he gets accommodations. He especially likes history, government and English (he uses audiobooks).

My question is about foreign language. S24 failed out of Spanish in 6th grade, and again in 7th, so now he’s taking beginning Spanish. After a rocky start, he is doing well with a tutor once a week and studying with me (I used to be a high school Spanish teacher). He was planning on just completing the one year he needs to graduate, but his guidance counselor says he really needs two years, or he will be closing a lot of doors college-wise.

What has your experience been? Would it limit his choices if he only has one year of foreign language? I don’t know yet what kind of schools he will be interested in, so I’m just hoping for general info.

Thanks so much for any advice, and many congratulations on all the wonderful acceptances on this thread! :partying_face:

1 Like

Hi Sail Away,

Mother of a dyslexic son here. Could not read AT ALL until the middle of 3rd grade, that is with attending a specialized school with tutoring every day. My suggestions, have you thought about a specialized (Wilson, project read, orten gillingham, ect.) private tutor to increase his skills? Latin is the world language that was recommended to us because it helps a lot with the spelling. Some kids do well with sign language as an alternative as well. We also hired a 1 on 1 tutor for the ACT which helped his score and his self esteem.

5 Likes

One semester of sign language at a community college often counts as two years of HS language, you can check the college course catalog to verify.

1 Like

It depends on the colleges he applies to. Most of the top50 or more universities list 2years of a foreign language in high school as a minimum. However, once you get further away from the top-ranked schools, those requirements are not always set in stone and may become recommendations for some colleges. You can google “college name high school requirements” to get links to each college’s requirements.

A larger issue may be that some colleges will require your student to take a foreign language before graduating from the college. Many schools say that they accept students without 2 years of foreign language in high school, but that student must take at least 1 year in college. You can go to the website of the college you’re interested in and see the course requirements for your son’s major.

3 Likes

My S17 was awful at foreign language. He did 2 years (our requirement); I think he finished Spanish 2 at best with a C! He didn’t apply to top schools, but he got in everywhere he applied. But as someone else mentioned, he’s now required to take 2 semesters in college to graduate (it depends on your school and major), but he can take them P/NC so that’s what he’s doing.

3 Likes