Parents of the HS Class of 2021 3.0-3.4

@newtexasmom, thanks for writing! My son started with speech when he was three, and also had years of resource room for reading. We also found a reading tutor who was trained in Orten Gillingham, and we took him to Lindamood-Bell. Those programs are a godsend! I didn’t realize that they might still be able to help him now . . . Do they do Spanish?

My D21 is also dyslexic, although not as severe as my son, and she took Latin. It has gone very well because she loves the mythology and the history. Our son wanted to take Spanish. He likes the way it sounds and his accent is good, he just has a terrible time reading and writing it. Maybe we should have stuck with Latin, but it’s also the language all the very bright overachievers at our high school take, so it could have felt stressful.

@spaceaquarium I’ll ask his GC if sign language is an option—great idea!

@EconPop , thank you! I think I’ll read through this thread for ideas and start looking up the schools to see what they require. S24 is not even close to knowing what he might major in other than probably not STEM.

@NJWrestlingmom P/NC sounds like a good plan for D24! That’s great that your S17 has navigated the language issue so well.

1 Like

Sail Away, my son did really well in Latin, he went all the way through AP Latin. I alway attributed the ease he had with Latin with the way that he was taught to read, systematically and defined rules. If your son is willing a Spanish tutor is a great idea. Also, if your son is willing, finding a summer program that also give high school Spanish credit, either a travel program, private school or maybe a community college.

2 Likes

My D21 is dyslexic. She continued with Spanish through junior year ( Spanish 4). She found the oral component relatively ok but the only way she got through the reading and writing and oh the horror, spelling part was a.extra time helps a little, b. And this was crucial…that she only be graded for intent with spelling not on whether it was actually correct. She probably could have gotten away with 2 years at high school but she hung on for 3 with consistent Bs. She kept with Spanish after middle school because it was felt that trying a new language would just be more confusing. If you choose prospective colleges wisely you can get away with 2 years unless they are very selective schools and even then it can be subject/major specific. Or, some schools do accept ASL if your son would try something different. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks @scotiagal ! It’s always nice to know that others have navigated this successfully. Thank goodness my son has spelling waved. I know a very selective school would not be a good fit for my son, even if he could by some miracle get in. I do think he will thrive at the right college with the right support.

I will encourage him to tackle one more year of Spanish. They have two tracks, so he can take the slower moving one.

1 Like

Yes, my kid did honors Spanish first two years of high school but moved down to regular Spanish after first marking period junior year which was a big help as Spanish 4 honors was just way too challenging for her.

1 Like

Just heard yesterday that my student was accepted at Cal Poly as well. Not for engineering, though. No surprise that he got his second choice major as engineering is super competitive and GPA is so important for Cal Poly decisions.

But, he’s happy his “perfect record” for admission is intact. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

11 Likes

Congrats! My sister is a professor at CalPoly! Great choice & SLO is beautiful

1 Like

It is beautiful! But, because he was accepted for his first-choice major at other schools, he has already decided he won’t be going to Cal Poly SLO. Still has Miami OH, ASU, and Gonzaga at the top of his list.

1 Like

Congratulations! I’m curious what was his second choice major? Was it in a separate college? They don’t always consider that. Our S21 applied under biochemistry which is pretty competitive there. His second choice was Nutrition which looks a bit less competitive. Glad to hear about someone getting a second choice admit.

1 Like

Sure - his second choice was Liberal Studies (sort of like an honors elementary teacher prep program).

1 Like

Update (3.3UW, 25ACT): Accepted to Rutgers (Mason Gross School of the Arts).

It was a reach, those stats are the 25th %ile, and the program he got into only accepts about 6 kids from what I can tell… so very proud!

Now it decision time, probably between Ball State and Rutgers. Hoping to visit Ball next month first.

18 Likes

Did anyone here have a student apply to Ramapo in NJ and get no money at all? Just wondering if that’s typical for them. D21 got merit at Stockton and Rowan.

Not familiar with Ramapo but Inhave a graduating Senior at Stockton if you have any questions. She was just admitted to Rutgers Camden for grad school in Mathematics so we are proud

2 Likes

That’s great! Congratulations! Stockton looks like a nice place.

My daughter is at Stockton and likes it a lot. However, I’m not a fan of a 4-credit system, so keep that in mind if considering it. You’ll take, on average, 8 less courses than in a more traditional 3-credit system. With her taking some 1 or 2 credit courses (music lesson, orchestra… which fill the “ASD” (at some distance) elective requirements,) she has some semesters that have only been 3 classes, otherwise she’d pop up to 20 credits which is a but too much.

Not this year, but my son applied to Ramapo a few years ago and got nothing. Seems weird though that she would get merit from Rowan then- they got stingier this year. Rowan probably has a much bigger endowment, though.

1 Like

D21 has heard back and been accepted to 7 of the 9 schools she applied to. The remaining two schools have not yet announced. She had a 3.96 unweighted GPA and 1400 SAT that she took early her Jr year pre-covid mostly as a practice but never had the chance to re-take. I don’t think any school she applied to used the SAT this year (at least they claimed not to).

Western Washington University: Accepted into Honors College with $3,000 merit
Washington State: Accepted into Honors College with $4,000 merit
University of Oregon: Accepted with $10,000 out-of-state merit award.
Whitman: Accepted with $14,000 merit and $7,000 need-based grant.
Gonzaga: Accepted with $24,000 merit
Lewis & Clark: Accepted with $30,500 merit
University of Puget Sound: Accepted with $33,000 merit
University of Washington: Still waiting to hear
Occidental College: Still waiting to hear.

If she gets into UW I expect it will be her first choice, or end up being a choice between UW and Whitman. I expect all the other public schools will drop off the list if she gets into UW. If she doesn’t get into UW I expect Whitman will go to the top of the list and she will look at UPS, L&C and maybe WWU as alternatives before making the final choice. Occidental is kind of a wild card. If they accept her and offer her generous merit aid it will jump into the mix but we aren’t really holding out hope for that.

I wish Whitman was offering as much merit aid as UPS and L&C but such is life.

We live in the PNW and have visited every one of these schools in person, most of them pre-Covid with students around so I can offer comments if anyone wants to know about any of them.

Edit…is this thread for students with GPA in the 3.0 to 3.4 range? If so, sorry, I missed that and obviously should have posted in the other thread.

3 Likes

It is but maybe it will help someone. :blush:
Congratulations to your daughter and good luck with making a decision. It’s the hardest part.

3 Likes

Most of the schools you mention are attainable for the 3.0-3.4 student and when my first child applied to college a few years back, students with grades in that range could expect some merit from some of these schools. So I think it’s very appropriate to post here. We never got a chance to visit Whitman, but have been to UW, WWU, WA State, and Puget Sound, all of which have a lot to offer. For me UW, WWU, and Puget Sound have especially pretty campuses.

1 Like

I mistakenly posted here without reading the subject line closely enough. That said, I think only UW and Whitman would be considered “reach” schools for someone with a 3.4. All the other schools my daughter applied to (WWU, WSU, UO, UPS, L&C and Gonzaga) all accept thousands of students every year from that grade range.