Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 1)

How does the NMF score correlate to the PSAT score? D21 will not have shot, just curious. NJ says 223 is the usual benchmark. What does that mean in terms of the 800 points per section score?

@NJWrestlingmom If I understand correctly, the max score for each section is 760 for the PSAT. To calculate the index you double the EBRW score and add it to the Math score. Then divide the total by 10. For instance my son made 740/760 on english/math and got a 224. (740*2 + 760)/10=224. Alternatively, drop the zeros from both scores, double the english and add to the math.

To get the 760 in math DS got all questions right. He missed 4 questions on English and got a 740.

@njwrestlingmom. I found a link that explains the process but I canā€™t post it here on CC. Google convert PSAT to SI and you should find it. Basically, each section gets a raw score that is then adjusted. The reading and writing are weighed more heavily than the math score, by a factor of 2 I believe. So in order to get a really high SI, the student has to do well on the verbal section.

Each section is worth a maximum of 760 for a total possible score of 1520. For NJā€™s 223 that would be likely be a 1480+ score but Iā€™m guesstimating.

Got it - thanks! And congrats on the great scores! D21 knew she messed up the math because sheā€™s had calculator troubles, but she broke a 1000 so Iā€™ll take it!

Great scores all! Interesting on the # of questions missed. DD got 760/710. Missed ONE math question and lost 50 points?!? Looks like there was more room for error with the verbal section?

@mm5678 There has been conversation here on CC that the test that was administered on 10/24 had a much harsher curve than the 10/10 sitting. Check out the parents of class of 2020 thread for details.

Wow - that is a very harsh curve on math.

DS is good in math and much prefers the harder math tests, that have easier curves, as he is apt to make careless mistakes. He has cleaned it up a bit over the years but he still struggles with focusing on the harder parts of a question and making a silly addition mistake, etc. The SAT/PSATs tend to compress the higher level kids in math.

@mamaedefamilia She took the test on 10/24 so it looks like that applies in her case. And just like @yearstogo DS, she made a careless mistake (and is beating herself up slightly, perfectionist kid!).

Well, considering D21 took the PSAT with no prep whatsoever (not even looking at a practice test), weā€™re okay with her reading score (680, so wth prep we feel confident sheā€™ll break 700 and hopefully get close to 750 on the SAT next fall), but her math was only a 560. D21 is in AP Calculus AB right now with a 95 average, and she took AP Chem last year (math heavy) and did wellā€¦She has no idea what happened - I am guessing she needs to brush up on some concepts she hasnā€™t used in a whileā€¦? Anyway, weā€™ve devised an SAT study plan for this summer and decided sheā€™ll definitely take the SAT in August and, if needed, December.

@JanieWalker My D17 also was enrolled in calculus when she took the PSAT and did less well on the math portion of the test than she had hoped. If your D took the 10/24 test, as mentioned above, the math curve was said to be especially harsh. For future reference, my D17 ended up preferring the ACT. The math moves more quickly but is also more straightforward with fewer lengthy word problems.

Your D21ā€™s baseline is not bad at all and Iā€™m sure that with some targeted math review, she will get to her goal. The Khan Academy materials are really quite good.

No prep whatsoever, 600 verbal 580 math, so 1180 combined. Weā€™re completely happy with that score and SHOCKED the verbal is that much higher than math. It actually helps to prove what Iā€™ve been telling the teachers for years - he knows material, he just canā€™t get it on to paper. Give him multiple choice, give him oral exams and presentations and heā€™s fine. Essay? Heck no. And the math will go up - with our block scheduling he hasnā€™t had math since the first half of freshman year. Picks it up again second half of this year. Have I mentioned I hate block scheduling???

@ScarletRobin itā€™s so strange how different all the schools are! I loved block for my S17, but they still had all the classes all year. I wouldnā€™t like not having a subject for a long period of time!

My experience with S17 was that the kids in higher level math did worse on the SAT than the kids on level (maybe worse is the wrong word - but not as high as we would have expected). I think maybe the SAT is algebra heavy and the advanced kids have forgotten a lot of it? S17 was in Alg2 when he took the test, and he had re-taken Alg1 over the summer as a refresher (he is terrible at math!) and we were shocked he scored higher on math than verbal.

Our block scheduling is just like college. They have 4 classes a day. Right now he has Honors Psych, Tech Design (they play with AutoCAD and 3d printers), Honors English/AP US history (alternating days), and Latin. Rough schedule for a kid who hates humanities! Second half of the year will be much better when he picks up math and science again.

I put my foot down last year when they tried to put him in the half-year AP Government class. There was no way I was letting him take the AP exam in May, when the class ended in January. They claim thereā€™s no statistical difference in the scores of the students who take the half-year every day class versus full-year alternating day class; but I know my kid and it would have been gone by the time he hit the exam.

Oh my @yearstogo that is D21 EXACTLY. Like I would tell her math teachers, I can help a person who doesnā€™t understand something but who makes careless mistakes. HELP! She thought the PSAT math section was so easy but bombed it. Did better last year but did MUCH better on the English section. Went up 60 points which is crazy cause last year it was the PSAT 8/9 and this was the real one so Iā€™m assuming it should be harder. She did zero prep so it will be interesting to get the full results to see where she made mistakes. IF she does great next year, wonderful, if notā€¦ so be it. Our focus this summer will be on the SAT\ACT. She gets her PreACT results on Thursday at school so it will be interesting to see those results. She did say that test was much harder but mostly the Science section. Sooo she must have REALLY failed that one.

Another zero prep 10/24 tester. D21 scored 670 verbal, 600 math. Whatā€™s the preferred strategy for study/prep moving forward? Iā€™ve heard Khan Academy mentioned. We are not interested in a pay course.

@Rue4, mine is going to do Kahn. Her younger sister used it last year (very casually) before she took the SAT for CTY purposes, and she thought it was helpful. If the prep provided by Kahn isnā€™t enough to help raise D21ā€™s scores to her target scores by August, then weā€™ll look into paying for prep. Free is the way we are going right now, though.

So I never introduced myselfā€¦and wandering around all the threads this morning Iā€™m actually not sure how active Iā€™ll be since Iā€™m actually pretty laid back and chill about this whole process. (For example, Iā€™m not sure I understand this whole obsession with prepping for SAT/ACT scoresā€¦especially with more and more schools going ā€œtest optionalā€.)

Anyway, I have an only child - extremely rare in this area. Having lived here for 8 years the only other ā€œonlyā€ weā€™ve met is ironically his girlfriend. His father lives in another state 2 hours away - been that way since day one. Unfortunately that makes it very difficult for him to get involved in activities, sports, after school job, etc.

Heā€™s actually not sure about the 4-year school thing right now. He does NOT want dorm living, at all. As an only he just canā€™t imagine having a roommate, and the idea of a shared bathroom is a huge negative for him. He also has no interest in Greek life and doesnā€™t drink. Iā€™m still encouraging him to do some college visits, we did St. John Fisher this summer (was particularly impressed with their 2+4 PharmD program) and York College this fall (which is when he decided heck NO to dorm living). Heā€™s interested in engineering, either civil or mechanical. UMBC, Lehigh, Clarkson and RIT are on our list as well.

So, Iā€™m feeling like this is an uphill battle, and I donā€™t want to force him into a college thatā€™s not going to be a good fit for him, mainly because thatā€™s what happened with me. We shall see how things play out, especially as the school year progresses.

@ScarletRobin If he doesnā€™t want greek life or partying Lehigh is not the place for him. Lafayette is good engineering as well but smaller than Lehigh and not quite the party school.

Thanks @burghdad! That actually surprises me about Lehigh. Of course CMU was his dream school until I I showed him there was no way heā€™d ever get in with his grades. I always forget about Lafayette, and I donā€™t know why.

@ScarletRobin Welcome!

Regarding test scores, if your son is interested in Engineering, direct admission into an engineering major is generally more difficult admissions-wise than into Arts & Sciences and strong test scores can only help.

As for dorms, look for schools that donā€™t require students to live in on-campus housing. Or look for ones that have suite style housing (singles with a common living area and bath shared among 4 people) or apartment style options (may not be available for freshmen, so check carefully). Public schools, especially non-flagships, are often less invested in the ā€œresidential experience.ā€ Liberal arts colleges tend towards the reverse.

WPI and RPI also generate a lot of discussion here on CC - might be worth checking out.