Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

I don’t know what kind of guidance the federal government can give for opening schools. Unless they ditch the distancing rules, classes can’t be held as usual.

Maybe testing/quarantines modeling after the better plans this year? IDK

Raleigh NC- we are part of the ABC collaborative study that the CDC pointed out recently. Funny thing is we haven’t been in person 6-12 at all- so their data is mostly the k-5. The ABC people have told us that they are not sure that kids will be vaccinated by the Fall and that we should plan that way.

According to the Johns Hopkins Covid website, Harris County, where Houston resides, has the 5th most confirmed Covid cases in the US and the 8th most deaths from Covid. Per Capita.

3 Likes

Right. Letting it rip not good for lots of people.

3 Likes

Hm. Wonder if that means anything for colleges in NC. Hope not

I don’t doubt the numbers for Harris County, but personally with two seniors I am also thankful we have been given the option to do our own risk assessment and make a decision. As a side note, we have also quarantined several times when exposed to others with it, and we are super cautious about going around elderly family. I also think the numbers are underestimated for Harris County and probably everywhere - I personally have known multiple people with symptoms of a mild case that were never confirmed.

It’s a horrible process here. WHere are you? Also, now my district just sent out an email today that even though other districts have arranged testing, just stay signed up with the county because soon there will be a k-12 specific sign up option and then we can go to certain schools in our county that will have educator vaccination “clinics” I guess. I’m so happy I ignored all that and went and found my own. Next worry is going to be getting the second one squared away. I will find out what I need to do for that in about an hour when I get it! Not thrilled to be poked, but happy I am taking the first steps needed for normalcy.

I’m in IL by the way.

2 Likes

I hear you. The most frustrating part for me is that all could be safer and happier outside (easier done with elementary), with a few exceptions for allergies or whatever. The district used aid money to buy tents and did not use them. The whole approach was shortsighted in my view. The wealthy parents are gathering on Facebook but parents of the kids who are missing and really suffering are culturally not going to step up and challenge the district. Even if they did it seems to rest with the union cooperation.

They did a (albeit short and flawed) fall survey and a number of parents and some students preferred remote - something like 45% I believe. The majority of teachers did not want to go back. We have very little Covid here too.

There has been another interesting observation - we have had significantly more covid cases among the students at my daughters’ all girls school (supposedly transmitted mostly outside of school) than at the all boys school next door (and there is some cross registration for classes). Our takeaway - teen girls have a harder time social distancing; hence the higher spread.

2 Likes

If you are asking me where I am, we are in Houston, Texas.

ABC collaborative is for K-12. They are keeping track of several school systems and their reopening plans and the data on Covid cases in NC. They have no say in when schools should open or how.

From my point of view, once vaccinations have been widely available to any who want them, whatever happens happens. We can’t stay in this mode forever. If you choose to not get a vaccination, that is your choice.

I know potentially kids won’t be vaccinated yet, but it is pretty rare for them to have serious symptoms. As far as a 95% effective rate, if you assume 1% mortality that is .05% chance of contracting Covid and dying. It’s not zero but it’s a pretty low number. And it is probably lower than that, because you won’t have the same number of exposures anymore due to the 95% effective rate. This is how herd immunity works.

If the anti-vaxxers want natural herd immunity, let them catch it. Once the rest of us have a chance to protect ourselves, their blood is on their own hands, not mine. Let the rest of us get back to normal.

10 Likes

In our house, there’s no talk of taking a gap year. We’re launching D21 off thinking of a normal 4-year time horizon for college. For us, while Covid matters, as I’ve mentioned before, I’m a positive thinker and the “eye of the storm” will pass. D21 will remain in CA, so we can see most campuses fairly easily too.

I believe the one-shot vaccine from J&J could be a “game changer.” I really hope so.

9 Likes

I just booked us a same day in and out flight to Lubbock for an In Person Admitted Students Day even at Texas Tech on Feb 19th…still waiting to hear from TAMU, but in the mean time he needs to consider all options!

It’s getting real guys!

12 Likes

There wasn’t a noticeable amount of transfer from classrooms, but once the virus was active in a community college populations had very high transmission rates.

I am hopeful for the J+J vaccine as well. D wants to be somewhere warm so will want to move to college location whether all online or not. H thinks we need to discuss this more.

That sounds so normal, yet so bizarre to me. We have NOTHING here. It’s all remote in the public schools with zero athletics, whether school- or club-based.

1 Like

Our private school is finally back in person, half time. Many have still chosen to stay all virtual. And there is a huge gender divide when you look at the seniors in particular. My son has no other boys in his classes on campus. His friends staying virtual are mostly boys.

Creaky, remind me please what state you are in?
We are in FL. Sports have continued for the most part in public schools (and if Covid hits then quarantines happen), etc. I am shocked we haven’t had more Covid positive students than we have but …half our county’s public school students opted to stay home and take classes online. So schools are largely at 50% population so that may be helping our numbers.