Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

@srparent15 Okay, I’m really digging your son’s story and as much as a parent wants their kiddo to go to college, I hope you are so incredibly proud of him! Its tough to get funding for start-ups because there are so many. Wonder if I ever talked to them. I worked with Plug and Play a few assignments ago. They’re an accelerator in Silicon Valley. Anyway, internship opportunities for his siblings:) he can always go back to get an MBA, too. They’re not going to teach him anything in CS that he doesn’t know or need at this point, TBH. He’s his marketer, operations, tech, and CFO all in one. Ivy League kids I work with probably couldn’t pull all that together their first few years.

@whyboydanny How do you check your kids’ credit rating? I get mine easily from my CC app and it gives me alerts. We co-authorized the kids on our CC but have yet to check their credit. I hope it’s free!

2 Likes

@MommaLue per the law you are allowed 1 free credit report per year from each of the big 3 agencies.

1 Like

When S18 was younger (I’m thinking maybe around 8 but don’t really remember) he got some money for Christmas (probably $10 or $20). The person who gave it to him asked him what he was going to do with it. He said save it. She followed up, what are you saving for? He gave her a blank look. He wasn’t saving for some big toy, or even a computer or car down the road. He was saving to have a bigger pile of money, and he thought asking what he would spend it on was a dumb question!

S19 was the opposite, if my parents gave him $20 he would spend $25 and have to work off the extra $5.

S18 isn’t quite as tight as he used to be, but he is still pretty frugal. S19 finally came around too and is pretty good now.

2 Likes

I listened to Selingo and another guy who wrote a new bestseller on paying for college. While it was largely directed at juniors, it was interesting that the second author hinted it might be a good year to try to negotiate merit aid at some schools. Unfortunately, he did not say more about that. Tonight Road2College is having a webinar on this topic at 8 pm EST in case anyone is interested.

5 Likes

UC SB texted the kid’s to say decision on 3/16. Any experienced UC parents know if they all release their decisions on the same day?

1 Like

Thank you for the heads up. :+1:

I should watch. However, I’ll admit I’m burned out on watching webinars after all the school ones in the fall.

I am curious so I’ll ask Alexa to remind me. :wink:

1 Like

Different days. Last year ucsb 3/17 (tues), ucla and uci 3/20 (fri), ucsd 3/13 (fri) so it looks like at least they won’t be significantly later than last year?

2 Likes

@MommaLue the rest of us are all here supporting you, hoping for the best news and rooting for all of your 21s! Manifesting celebratory posts for all! :tada:

6 Likes

That is what I hear too.

I mean rolling decision announcements.

Glad I did not imagine that and it really happened! It was such an amazing gesture, it warmed my heart.

3 Likes

Cal Poly Pomona portal updated, no email yet. First acceptance here, but not really a contender.

13 Likes

Ditto here. D was accepted, but CPP is far down the list even though it’s one of the few unis with the exact major she wants.

But hey, we’re undefeated at 2-0. Won’t last long, before the “skunking” begins. :laughing:

15 Likes

@spaceaquarium Congrats!! Go CA. LOL.

@Solstice155 thank you! I think UCBerkeley announced 3/25. S21 has the rigor but unweighted GPA isn’t 4.0 and test blind so I just want a UC. LOL. But one of the kiddos I mentored and helped got UCLA regents invite. I’m so happy for him and helping him with another essay this week. I think he will get something at Berkeley and MET, too. At least one of my kiddos is getting news. He reminds me of me when I was in high school. Immigrant parent and high financial need and no one to help navigate. Whatever you guys share, I relay back to a few of them. The school announced an Amazon CS scholarship so I told the UCLA regents kid to get in his essay for me to review because Amazon will require essays, too. I got another kiddo that I helped prep for an interview. He also got the UCLA regents invite. Goes to different high school, though. So good news in our corner today.

Thank you for manifesting a UC acceptance for us. I’m literally forgetting S21 applied to Ivies. :joy:

13 Likes

D21 uses Google sheets to keep track of income and expenses. Periodically we reconcile the balance. It’s a simple system, but she keeps it up so it works for her.

2 Likes

So glad I found this thread! I was doing a search on ‘Brown deferred’ and found the post from @MommaLue and read from there thru the end.

We are in SoCal, my daughter applied ED to Brown and was deferred, EA and deferred to UVA, accepted at SDSU in December (same day she was deferred from Brown) and invited to apply to Honors. And accepted and given various generous merit scholarships: Fordham, Hofstra in Honors, University of Oregon in Honors, and University of Arizona in Honors.

She applied to 22 schools total, which is insane. In CA she applied to UCLA, UCB, UCD, UCSB, and CalPolySLO. She also applied to Yale, Barnard, Tufts, Vanderbilt, Wesleyan, Johns Hopkins, Boston College, Lafayette, William and Mary, and Northeastern.

She received an invite to apply for the Alumni Scholars scholarship at UCLA, but we didn’t get the email invite about the Regents scholarship today. Haven’t heard from any of the other UCs.

My daughter has uw gpa 3.96, UC capped 4.23, weighted 4.64. She has taken 10 APs and 10 honors classes, and earned an AP Scholar award. She has been a competitive dancer since 2nd grade, is a member of SAG-AFTRA, elected to student council, in 3 clubs, academic medical focus program, 3 honor societies, academic awards, school Ambassador, part time job as a tutor at Kumon, lots of service projects thru her school, and took online classes at Brown University over summer break.

This journey has been exhausting, and since college admissions is so subjective, and so many schools she applied to have had a sharp increase in number of applications received, we have no idea how this all will end.

So we are hoping for the best, bracing for the worst. Hope all of our kids end up where they can feel happy and proud of their accomplishments, and where they feel they are meant to be!
(Sorry for the length of my post!)

20 Likes

@rarz69 Glad you found this thread? S21 is my first so I’ve gotten so much help from common app questions (wait, did that happen just 6 months ago?!) to now. Good luck to your family! I have a friend with D22 who is a dancer and wants to go to schools in SoCal. Did you guys happen to look at schools with dance programs or strong dance ECs oppty during college? If so, would love your insight. I’m sure my friend would find what you share valuable. Trying to pay it back to parents with first borns in the college cycle. I have learned so much from the other parents!

Yes, every school she applied to has some level of dance involvement, ranging from minors, to elective classes, to extracurricular performance groups of varying dance styles. She is applying for biology/premed programs though, not as a dance major, so she hasn’t done any auditions for those programs. She wants to go to med school and be a surgeon.

1 Like

@rarz69 damn it. I had just PM’d you to tell you that I’d pick your kid over mine and with them applying to most of the same schools, I hope she wasn’t biology or premed. Hahaha.

1 Like

Yes, it’s definitely more subjective this year than ever with so many kids applying test optional and the resulting increase in applications everywhere. Very different from past years. Good luck to her, I’m sure she’ll have a lot of great options to choose from.