Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

That was it! Thanks!

Thatā€™s funny, I just posted a comment in the parents UVA group. I wish we could just nip down for a day and check it out (too far.)

Absolutely this.

@NateandAllisMom What a great resource thank you for asking in the group. @80scollegegirl Thank you for posting!!

1 Like

Hereā€™s a great podcastfor the waitlist bar patrons. Click on the most recent episode. Quite optimistic.

4 Likes

This daytripper site is so nicely done! It can save you hours of time doing research for food, hotel and plans! Thanks parents on CC!

5 Likes

Congrats! Curious if she submitted a score or was TO?

She submitted: Has a 750 or higher on each section, one sitting.

2 Likes

My son was accepted to Seventh College also! We are going to drive down from Northern California next week to compare UCSD, UCSB, and UCLA, even if we can only wander around the campuses. Seventh College looks like itā€™s a little away from the main classroom buildings but very well appointed in terms of the facilities ā€“ modern, access to kitchens, etc. He has a friend who is a freshman there this year who told him to put Seventh first.

4 Likes

One of the other ways to decide, which worked for S19, is can you see yourself at this school if youā€™re stressed? College kids get stressed. Do you need space & nature or does a more busy campus energize you?

20 Likes

I am not familiar with the UT system, but if everyone is being admitted via automatic admission rule (I assume based on GPA?), when whatā€™s the basis for the lawsuit?

75% of the class is being admitted via auto admit. The other 25% is made up of instate, out of state, and international holistic review.

The dorms do look nice and in case some classes are remote, Iā€™m glad he would have 3 other roommates/suite style. Kitchen a total plus too, plus a mini Target! Someone said they are going to run the trolley through UCSD which would be awesome.

2 Likes

Low-income kids of every race are the losers in this game. Low-income Asian-American kids, in particular, get the double-whammy. They are poor, so no hired help, and they are treated like white kids in college admissions yet, in real life, they are racially discriminated. Recently, in the aftermath of the Atlanta shooting, Reddit blew up with angry Asian kids calling out a prominent private consultant for his advice counseling (correctly, I might add) Asian kids not to write about their experiences of being discriminated because, as far as colleges are concerned, Asians arenā€™t racially discriminated. Thereā€™s plenty of unfairness to go around, but lying about oneā€™s race to game the system feels particularly offensive.

8 Likes

Looks like some WL are already moving: watching VaTech forum for friends-- they are taking off the WL alreadyā€“seems all OOS based on the forum. Anyone heard of others? This seems EARLY. What a weird year.

3 Likes

Not ready for the WL until we get our last two decisions. Ack!

3 Likes

Iā€™m having a hard time feeling any more excitement for the 3 remaining ā€œrevealsā€.

A nice large glass of really cold milk has replaced my wine the last couple nights.

Iā€™m ready to pull the plug on this process.

9 more days feels like 3 more weeks.

16 Likes

Sorry to hear that. I read through your older postsā€”our daughters seem very similar and applied to some of the same schools. The rejections really hurt, for sure, and we canā€™t help but feel that deferrals or WLs would be less painful. But my D does have some good options (going to visit Oberlin tomorrow and Iā€™m enjoying a glass of wine in the hotel room right now :slight_smile: ) and Iā€™m hopeful that yours does too!

4 Likes

This has been the longest application season ever!

9 Likes

Plus the auto admits donā€™t necessarily get their first or even second choice of major, so there is angst over that as well.

3 Likes