Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

the (college) class of 2025 is going to be like a nub on the bar graph of acceptance rate over time at so many schools :rofl:

3 Likes

@MandH1 Right? The play is to graph acceptance rate and birth rate on the same graph. People 20 years from now will say, “Huh
2003 birthrate went up a little from 2001-2002, yet
what happened to college app numbers?” LOL.

I’m just going to go to Walmart tomorrow and buy one setting of Corelle plate, bowl (big enough for ramen), mug and start planning for my short 6.5 hour drive to UC Irvine for move in day. Just maybe start to de-select Ivy Day from my brain now.

2 Likes

My niece did engineering at Purdue and loved it. My S didn’t apply there b/c it’s a hassle to get to from NC and he had plenty other engineering programs he was interested in. Didn’t apply to Michigan or UCs b/c OOS cost was too high for us. He’s been accepted to Pitt, Mines, WPI, Case and NC State – and UNC in case he changed his mind about engineering :slight_smile:

Seems like many (most?)programs are doing the general engineering first year – NC State does the same thing. I think my S told me VT does a whole first year design course to introduce all the engineering areas while Wisconsin’s is only a semester – but I’m not positive about that. My S is doing a lot of digging into research labs (he’s interested in robotics) and co-op programs to help him decide. Location is a factor too – VT sends so many grads across the mid-Atlantic which is a plus for him, I think.

I think there’s a lot of commonality across engineering programs which makes it easier to pick based on campus and fit!

I’m fairly frugal (cough cheap) and I’ve done this a couple of times. Generally I can find a clean hotel somewhere for one night pretty cheap ($75) and save a good bit by flying at the worst time.

ETA: especially when it’s the entire family

1 Like

Boiler up!

Honestly, if you have any questions about Purdue, message me. My D is a junior chem e and has loved every minute. Sounds like it checks all the boxes in terms of big school, spirit, study hard and exploring, clubs, etc

4 Likes

Is anyone very familiar with UK admissions ? When D21 briefly considered schools in the UK, we reviewed the entrance requirements at several universities, and for UK students, admissions decisions seem almost exclusively dependent on the # of hard courses and standard exam results of applicants (for their AS or A courses, or IB courses, etc). I have wondered if the course availability varies as greatly from school to school there as APs vary from school to school in the US? And I assume wealthy students there have access to great test prep for standardized tests
so how do those universities make it work, relying almost entirely on coursework and exam results, without having it causing great disparities in admissions based on wealth?

UK universities don’t rely on coursework, they rely on end of year external exams which include multiple papers testing the entire two years of the A level syllabus on a long tail test with difficult questions. Preparation for tests through self study of huge amounts of material (“revision”) is drilled into UK students from an early age. At A level you generally study by yourself at home for several weeks before the exams take place in May/June (continuing the revision and mock exams that have been going on since January). That continues into college where the end of year exams determine your degree “class”. Before finals you will spend multiple weeks preparing 8+ hours per day for those all-important exams.

The disparities you might relate to wealth are mostly based on whether you have good or bad teachers providing instruction on the material in the first place, so you actually learn how to solve hard questions (getting into a good school is therefore pretty important). Paid test prep is much less common than in the US because it only makes a marginal difference in most cases. You can’t fake your way to an A* in the way you could get help with your admissions essay and put together a nicely curated list of ECs.

7 Likes

Same in India as well.

4 Likes

I don’t see ambiguity at all. Doing what they “expect”, like taking 2 out of the 3 APs offered and no college dual enrollment, isn’t going to “impress” them. At 5% acceptance rate, only those who HUGELY impressed them get in. The Yale AOs telling us what they “expect” or don’t is a waste of time for everyone.

1 Like

Sorry, what i meant by relying on coursework was relying on the same courses being taught at all of the schools. There’s something like 12 A (advanced) level subjects, if I recall, and UK students take three or four of them in the two years pre-university, right ? So let’s say one wants to take A level Biology, English, Math, and Psych. Do all schools offer classes geared toward covering the curriculum to prepare for all of those tests, or are students doing mock exams, curriculum review and test prep completely on their own ? Obviously US schools vary greatly in what APs they offer making it very difficult for students to have equal footing in terms of curriculum. thanks for your insight.

One of my kid’s friend’s followed the money to UT-D and has since graduated. It had the major she wanted, she had a residential experience, and enjoyed getting out of state. It’s a perfectly good option if you don’t have a romantic vision of college.

@MommaLue and @MandH1 I guess we can preemptively cross Brown off the list! TBH, my kid is so over this process. She seems close to be making a decision among the schools that have already accepted her.

5 Likes

Mulling over the waitlists a bit today: what the colleges lose by waitlisting a particular student rather than admitting in RD is the chance for that student to visit before deciding on an offer (not to mention get excited about the school). Thinking out loud, it would make sense if waitlist yield - even from those students who accepted the spot on the waitlist - were a bit worse than usual.

2 Likes

Good luck everyone who has a lotto ticket for tomorrow. :slot_machine::wink: I can’t wait to see who hits! I’m down to celebrate.

9 Likes

Yes a school with a sixth form (ages 16-18) will teach all the standard A levels (maths, physics, chemistry, biology, French, English, history, geography, etc). Not all will offer the more unusual ones like further maths, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, etc depending on size, but generally a town with a smaller number of students going on to A levels will use a “sixth form college” model that consolidates kids for those two years so they can offer a full range of options. It would be very rare that anyone self-studied an A level like US students self-study for APs, because there is just too much material to cover.

1 Like

People seem to love Purdue. I wish we had it on our radar.

My S21 said he isn’t taking any waitlist offers and so have many of his friends. I think this yr, kids just want the process over.

I wonder if the numbers accepting WL offers will be lower?

2 Likes

Chances of winning the actual lotto are probably higher :laughing:

2 Likes

Of the ones mine has received so far, he is going to whittle it down to just 2 I think. But we have a few more schools this week to hear from and tomorrow we will know the full picture. But I agree, kids are just done and I’m ready to pay my deposit so we can start to see what’s on the other side and unlock that door!

2 Likes

I’ve been reading the publicity statements of highly selectives that have already released results and it sure feels that way. We only have one ticket and it’s like powerball odds.

My daughter’s number one choice is a waitlist. We have already decided on another school to commit to before May 1. It’s so hard to stay neutral and not think about the waitlist spot. I took her on an overnight trip to the school she is committing to in order to try and get her excited and envisioning herself there but I know her heart is pining for the waitlist spot. It’s not a fun place to be emotionally at all.

7 Likes