Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

There were several mentions of protein powder earlier. What types do your kids like?

My son uses Premier Protein Powder. I personally love Designer Whey protein powder chocolate flavored.

1 Like

My kids prefer Orgain Organic Protein from Costco.

Garden of Life

Whey protein is an excellent protein supplement because of its fast absorption rate and low calories. And itā€™s convenient, just scoop some into a shake. So, buy something natural/organic.

As I think I mentioned above, you can meet all of your protein needs for muscle growth through whole food with regular meals of lean protein, eggs, etc. This is what I do and Iā€™m a heavy exerciser who competes here locally.

2 Likes

DymatizeĀ® ISO 100Ā® Whey Protein Isolate- cocoa pebbles flavor

How apropos! As I opened CC to this thread right now, my son, who moved onto campus last week, just texted asking me to order him the cocoa pebbles protein powder. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Forgive me for being a ā€œDebbie Downer,ā€ but the Dymatize uses sucralose as an artificial sweetener. Sucralose can increase inflammation in the body, which is both good (e.g., repairing muscle damage caused by exercise, etc.) and bad (e.g., secondary muscle damage, stress on joints, obesity, diabetes, etc.).

2 Likes

For those of you guys who have moved or are moving the kids in this week, how do you feel? Did you leave them, yet? How are they doing?

Good luck to the Berkeley kids moving in the next two days!

I am against all these products, I think they are all so fake and gross.

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out. I havenā€™t bought this kind/brand before so will look at the one we normally get (my husband buys whatever it is) to check for artificial sweeteners and tell S21 heā€™s not getting the cocoa pebbles.

Editing to add - do most of these protein powders have artificial sweeteners? Iā€™m guessing they probably do. I avoid anything that has them so will need to educate my son about these powders if they all have fake sweeteners

No, there are a lot without artificial sweeteners. I donā€™t use this product, but hereā€™s an example of one that has no artificial anything from what I can tell from a cursory look:

I have not done a deep dive on this product, so caveat emptor.

Thanks - like you, I prefer diet be the source of protein rather than these type of supplements. Of course, trying to convince my son of that, well um, not easy!

But at least I can investigate the one you suggest and search further for other possibilities. The downside is that these can be a huge waste of money if the flavor is bad b/c then he wonā€™t use it. They arenā€™t inexpensive!

To bring this back on topic to this thread, Iā€™ve already had three requests for various things be sent to S21 and we only just left him on Thursday. One of the things was a case of water. Yeah, no! I specifically asked him if he wanted a water jug to keep water in his fridge before we left town and he said no. Iā€™m not supplying a vast supply of plastic to the landfill when he has a filtered fountain 30 feet from his room and a sink of tap water IN his room. So Amazon is delivering a water jug along with one other thing he requested that is escaping my mind.

2 Likes

If you have a kid thatā€™s a difficult eater, picky, then a protein supplement makes sense to me at least. But if your kid likes meat, dairy, poultry, fish, soybean, etc., then 3-4 squares (meals/day) is just fine.

If your 18-year old son, for example, weighs 75Kg (165lbs), then about 150 grams (2x weight in Kg) +/- of protein/day works great for building lean muscle. Thatā€™s about 40-50 grams of protein with each meal, which as an ā€œold dude,ā€ who works hard in the gym, is very easy to do with whole foods.

My apologies for the tangent. Iā€™ll shut up now. :grinning:

2 Likes

This one was a waste of money, according to my husband it taste terrible. Itā€™s probably why they use the one with fake sweetener.

My husband used to eat lots of egg whites for breakfast, but is sick of them at the moment, plus also very expensive since the eggs he likes are $7 per dozen.

Water! Sooooo, important to drink a lot of water. :+1: Along with 150 grams of protein/day, I also shoot for 150+ ozā€™s of water/day.

I love eggs! I have a ground turkey/egg white scramble with veges every morning w/o fail.

There are also these oatmeal cups with 10 grams of protein that I personally like that your son/daughter may keep in their dorm rooms. Just add hot water:

https://www.amazon.com/Soulfull-Project-Instant-Oatmeal-Hearty/dp/B08TL2QYK1/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3JTLU03H12XU7&dchild=1&keywords=soulfull+project+oatmeal&qid=1629138827&s=grocery&sprefix=soulfull%2Cgrocery%2C213&sr=1-6

Need your whole grains too! And milk adds more protein.

One of those dropping off at college blog articles What They Donā€™t Tell You About Dropping Your Kid Off At College . Donā€™t read until youā€™re ready to have a cry. I survived the first drop off the other day, kinda sorta maybe, but I have another one next week. Cleaning is therapeutic, butā€¦ feeling like time is flying by.

3 Likes

Cleaning is therapeutic for sure. When S19 left, I did a deep cleaning of the house but I just could not do his room right away. Every time I went in there I was confronted with all of the memories in that room. It was too much! Since then, my H took it over as his office and we moved S across the hall so his room isnā€™t all the sentimental anymore. Lol.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the protein powder info. I am not a fan of these types of product either, but my son likes protein shakes and the bottled products are very expensive. I want something I can add to a yogurt and fruit smoothie.

Was going to check in with everyone here in general since itā€™s been awhile. Son doesnā€™t start school until mid-Sept. Itā€™s definitely time for him to spread his wings but he is apprehensive. There is a chance that he will get a triple dorm, which is something heā€™s dreading. Iā€™m really trying not to feel anxious as well and to remember that all this is a ā€œgood learning experience.ā€ He is shy and introverted and just not looking forward to sharing a small space with one or two others. Any success stories out there regarding shy kids in college and roommates?

I have also spontaneously burst into tears here and there. Son isnā€™t going far, but still I canā€™t help it.

Good luck to all of you with kids who start school in August. Iā€™ve been quiet on this board, but have wished all of you and your kids the best!

4 Likes

My son takes a pre-Workout called Woke AF :roll_eyes:

He no longer drinks protein powders/shakes, but instead snacks on those gross Quest Protein Cookies.

1 Like