Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

Remember we were chasing merit money, well just got the scholarships applied to the semester bill. 1,751.39 was what was left over and deposited in my daughter’s saving account. This momma (at home) and daughter (in her dorm room) are face-timing and doing the happy dance. It was the right decision for us.

18 Likes

I know you D will love that school and Colorado!

Oooohhhhkay um definitely not fitting as much as I hoped in the luggage. I’m envious of those of you driving a car full of stuff.

5 Likes

@NateandAllisMom argh. That’s my nightmare. I think they should all fit but the comforter and sheets look big now that they have been fluffed up.

I can’t really vaccuum deal the comforter because it’s job is to cushion the fan in the suitcase :joy:

S21 finally got his braces off but now he has a retainer. So far on day 2, the retainer and it’s case can be spotted on the washing machine. Hmmm

3 Likes

We are flying to ND, but recently found out my son’s roommate’s grandparents live in South Bend and were ok with us shopping the refrigerator there! Such a relief because we can’t mail to the dorm until after move in and I need to get his insulin in the fridge! It’s tough having to fly all of it!

4 Likes

Wound up having to buy some fancy retro mini fridge instead of the standard one because they were all sold out within a 30 minute radius of UCF. But now it’s being held at Lowe’s and all ours. :slight_smile:

Last minute haircut today and then we get to packing. Kid is extra snuggly, I’m hoping the “soiling the nest” doesn’t arise right when we start to travel! Happy Saturday all!

4 Likes

I’m sure our D would like a cute retro fridge. Score!

I just got spooked this week that fridges would be sold out locally so ordered one from Target a couple of days ago. If it arrives at Colgate before the 18th, they’ll put it in her room for her. I think it might just make the cut off.

Our plan was to fly in Friday night, shop on Sat, move in on Sun but we couldn’t get a big car so I was getting concerned about having space if we loaded up with underbed boxes, fan, vacuum, etc on Saturday. Ended up ordering almost everything we aren’t packing from here and having it sent to school. Now we have Saturday to roam around campus and hang out with a college friend of ours whose D is also moving in on Sunday.

It’s getting real. Most things are packed except for clothes. D’s roommate will be moving in on Tuesday since she’s international. She’s going to send photos of the room to D so we can get a lay of the land before arrive. D figured out her next door neighbor in the dorm, too, and they’ve been chatting a lot. Her older sister is a junior there so she’s got a lot of insight. She’ll be a good friend to have!

9 Likes

New verb: amazon. As in, “I will amazon you one.”

11 Likes

I hope it never become one. We don’t need Amazon to become more dominant.

4 Likes

The truth is that there’s very little that the kids can’t do without for a few days. Is it hot and they need a fan? If it’s two days, they’ll live. They need their glasses/contacts, any meds they take, their computer…personal stuff like that. After that, it’s ok for them to buy later. We decided to wait on a microwave, rug, air purifier (which I think is pretty “extra” but it seems like a lot of kids have them there), coffee maker, Britta filter and more. We’re just going to wait and see what they really want/need.

6 Likes

So D18 headed to UF law school got an email that UF (the entire university) that said “the mode of delivery for your courses may be changed to a virtual environment for the first three weeks of classes.”

D18 is waiting on UCF to follow. It’s frustrating.

1 Like

D drove herself 6 hours away deep into San Antonio metro area. Another first, her first time to drive this far and do it all alone and drive in big city. She will be staying in an AirBnB with some friends. Going to Sea world, Zoo and Six Flags. Most of the kids flew, but she didn’t want to spend HER money on flights. It’s a big confidence booster. Little baby bird is taking flight.

10 Likes

New email today.

In our efforts to manage the pandemic’s effects on university life, there have been discussions about moving some courses online for the first three weeks of the semester, and there have been notifications to that effect for some courses. Upon further review, the decision was made not to do that.

UF struggling with what to do.

3 Likes

It’s so tough. The schools are probably feeling the pressures from everywhere. They just need to make the decisions based on the science as a general principle. Otherwise, it’s just too hard and it’ll generate even more anguish. I think kids are this point just want to know what the deal is. 18+ months of uncertainty wears on you, even if you are younger.

We have a batch of kids leaving this weekend. I think one of S21’s friends left already. She’s going to some school in San Jose. Tomorrow his Purdue pal is flying out. They won’t see him til summer since he’s going to India for the winter. I hope the housing situation there is sorted out. I think Monday the Berkeley and Cal Poly Pomona kids are leaving the nest. Part of me is sad that they will part when they’ve been close but it’s natural. I think they will come home this winter changed somewhat and it will be interesting to see the dynamic then. I miss them all already.

I’m making packing progress. One checkin suitcase is packed. Might be able to squeeze things in since I don’t think I’m at 50 lbs. The fan is snuggly wrapped by the comforter and the heavier winter boots and waterproof shoes puzzle pieced in. One of my Samsonite tote is filled. I’m trying not to overload it because I’m sure we will hate it when we have to lug it to the rental car. Two more totes to fill up. Just reg beddings and toiletries. I did wash things like the water filter and chopsticks :joy:. Just waiting for them to dry overnight and then the packing continues.

Meanwhile, my son has no idea what I have packed or what to bring.

4 Likes

We made some packing progress yesterday. Clothes fit in one Samsonite bag and linens in a doubles Frakta bag. She packed a suitcase (which is getting trashed when we get there) with 45 pounds of “stuff” - books, art supplies, calculator…. Honestly she packed that one with dad so I have no idea what’s in it but man it’s heavy! Still have to pack the bag for what we will all use pre-move in and all the minor stuff. I’ve been looking at the local Target to get the stuff we are still missing and stuff is selling out of inventory! :grimacing: desk lamp, covered trash can, storage drawers…

1 Like

I ordered a fridge and some other stuff to be held for us at the Home Depot near the college, but after I hit submit it says that they only hold items for 7 days. Then they refund your money. We actually aren’t going to get there for 10 days. Hopefully I can call customer service or maybe there will be an option to ask a question when they text me.

Back home from Lubbock…left my first born, my miracle baby, big chunk of my heart at Texas Tech. I’m fine…it’s fine…:sob::weary::heart::black_heart::heart::black_heart:

We met his roommate’s family, had breakfast with them this morning. Last night for dinner we got together with our son’s friends and their families from our high school…so grateful that he has a built in support network there and that these kids are together (all scattered in different dorms though!)

12 Likes

For those who bought beddings that come with a nice vinyl/plastic zipped up packaging, save those to store things like meds, bandaids, etc. You know there’s no way you’ll ever get the sheets to fit back in those containers once they’re out and washed :slight_smile:

5 Likes