Parents of the HS Class of 2022- 3.0-3.4

Some private colleges care. Ask Admissions.
See What is Demonstrated Interest in College Admissions?

3 Likes

How is everybody doing?

D22 is back from camp. Had a great experience and got to live in a dorm for a week. I think it did get her thinking more about college and I think she will be more receptive to talking about the Common App, etc.

Only 3 more weeks until she starts back at high school as a senior! Their first day is August 19th. They start early at her school, but usually end the year around Memorial Day.

3 Likes

So glad your D had a good experience!

We have made progress over here, she’s got her list honed to just 6, and one of those apps is complete and submitted! :open_mouth: Though in fairness, that school is not her favorite and I think she just applied because they lured her with a “free, no essay” app. Which turned out to be an app with like 3-4 short answer questions that were “recommended but optional” :roll_eyes: I have no idea what’s going to come of that app, but I guess it got the ball rolling? She’s got the basics filled out on the common app, and her apply Texas app as well. We’re just a bit in limbo waiting to see what classes she ends up with for the fall so we can fill out those portions. She gets her schedule next week, while we are on vacation. And, we have you beat for early start! She starts back Aug 12! I can’t believe it’s come so quick! She does get out a full week before memorial day, but it almost feels like summer just started.

As far as I know she has not written a word of any essay (aside from the aforementioned short answers), but she did tell me she’d looked at the prompts and knows what she’s going to write about. So I figure that’s progress.

The most “teenager logic” thing she told me, when she told me which schools she would apply to, was that visiting Hendrix definitely helped, and she thinks actually visiting the schools helps a lot, but she doesn’t need to visit any more and can make her decision with virtual visits. ?? :face_with_monocle: ?? She also knocked schools off the list because I “hadn’t talked about them much” :flushed: So apparently, me trying to not overwhelm her and talk about these schools all the time, has led to some good schools just getting the boot. :see_no_evil: But, in all honesty, I’m not mad, at the end of the day, she can only go to one, we crafted her list such that she should be accepted to most all of her schools, so I guess this makes the end point a bit simpler? And her favs are the ones that are mostly my favs for her so it’s all good. It was just a - so you’re telling me I should have been more annoying about this stuff? - moment :rofl:

5 Likes

Congrats @1822mom. Sounds like progress is being made at your house. I love that “teenager logic”. I think I am driving D22 crazy talking about college, but at the same time she’s not researching that much on her own so I feel like I have to do some of it. It’s great that her faves and your faves match up!

We are having some angst over high school issues here. They are building a new building and are having issues with the timeline. It’s got D22 and many of her classmates all upset. Hopefully they will work it out to everyone’s satisfaction, but emotions are running high right now!

Hey, does anyone have any suggestions for Open Curriculum or less restrictive curriculum schools that work for kids in our GPA range? D22 really could be super happy if she never had to take another math class in her life. I’ve got Warren-Wilson on our list to check out, but I’m not sure it’s a great fit for her. Asheville is great, but WW is not that close.

Her ideal school would be

• affordable (we’re in the doughnut hole and won’t qualify for need-based aid)
  • not make her take math
  • excellent creative writing program
  • walkable to shops like bubble tea and vintage clothes, etc
  • have a good study abroad program, preferably in London or elsewhere in the UK.

She is still interested in doing her complete undergrad in the UK, too, but COVID logistics have made it tricky to travel. I also have reservations about her being homesick, etc, but I’m trying to let that go so I don’t hold her back from what could be a great experience. Mom’s always have those “what if” and “be careful” glasses on, y’know?

1 Like

Look at Wheaton in MA.

1 Like

A lot of schools that are not Open Curriculum have very low math requirements for certain majors. For instance, Political Science has virtually no math requirement at many schools. Here are a few examples.

UNC Chapel Hill: A single Quantitative Reasoning class is the only math requirement for PolySci. These QR classes include less math-intensive options like “Math Art & The Human Experience” or as challenging as “Applied Econometric Analysis”.

George Washington U: The BS PolySci programs requires “six courses in statistics, mathematics and computer science” but the BA PolySci program lists no such requirements.

UMiami: The BA PolySci requires one actual math class (PreCalculus which reads like Trigonometry) and two/three clases that what UM calls Stem Cognate classes. Basically math-light classes like “Logic & Reasoning” and “Biology for the Non-Scientist”.

I chose colleges ranked higher than most kids in this thread will apply to to prove the point that even at higher ranked universities, there are majors that won’t require strenuous math classes for the math averse.

Examples of lower ranked colleges math requirements for PolySci include

George Mason: A single Quantitative Reasoning class is required for the BA PolySci. This could be as math-lite as “Introduction to Social Network Analysis” to the level of “Mathematics for Elementary School Teachers” (basic math up to introduction to Algebra and Geometry) or as strenuous as “Calculus”.

Temple U: The sample Course Plan for a BA PolySci includes a single Quantitative Reasoning class called “Quantitative Literacy” which is very math lite.

It’s not difficult to find majors that don’t require difficult math majors, at just about any university. The important thing is for your child (and maybe you) to carefully review the requirements before choosing a major. I’m sure many schools has similarly light math requirements, if any math, for Creative Writing majors.

Thanks EconPop. We have looked at the math requirements for the schools she is already has on her list but I was interested in hearing about schools with Open Curriculums. I think she would really like that where there are no required classes or maybe just a freshman seminar or something.

I know Amherst and Brown are not her thing (if she could get in they are probably too high stress for her) but was wondering if there are some more B-B+ schools that also do an Open Curriculum. I think that might really interest her.

Also, UNC CH does have Gen Ed requirements but looking through the Gen Ed catalog you linked (Undergraduate Degree Requirements < University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill) I do not see “Math Art & The Human Experience” on the list. Where did you find that? Maybe it’s an additional requirement for a Poli Sci I major? I would think they would need stats at least, but that’s irrelevant for her because she’s definitely looking at a Creative Writing or English major right now. Maybe I overlooked it or maybe they have updated the list?

I’m a Tar Heel born and a Tar Heel Bred myself (though I ain’t a Tar Heel dead yet) and when I was at UNC we had two maths as Gen Ed requirements. I took the “Philosophy of Logic” for one of my math requirements, which I see listed now as “Truth and Proof: Introduction to Mathematical Logic” (Phil 155). Just looking to avoid even that.

The Open Curriculum seems like it could be very appealing to her.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip on Wheaton, @taverngirl . I will show it to her.

Understood, but that may be tough to find/accomplish :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I really understand. Unless she miraculously climbs the math charts, my D24 will be similar. She and I are already plotting majors with the absolute minimum math requirements.

BTW, I just read “Educated” by Tara Westover. Tara gave me hope going from her no-math youth to cramming for the ACT in a year and improving greatly. She didn’t major in STEM, but she scored a 27-28 and got into her college of choice.

1 Like

She is just tired of being told what classes to take. She’s okay in math, but she really doesn’t like it. That’s why I am intrigued by an Open Curriculum college. I just realized what “Open Curriculum” is recently :doh — students get to take whatever they want. I was just buzzing past it and relying on my experience with Gen Ed requirements.

Wheaton College MA that Taverngirl seems like a possibility: https://wheatoncollege.edu/academics/the-wheaton-curriculum/compass/ Not sure how D22 feels about MA, though.

Wondering if there are any other Open Curriculum schools out there for the B student?

1 Like

I don’t know of any others. My D wanted open curriculum (ended up at URochester though has transferred out) but we didn’t find many.

1 Like

Really impressed with the cooperative vibe on this thread. I’ve got a thread out in the “open waters” and there is a lot of aggression out there towards me and sometimes toward my 3.7 uw son who is really kind of a B student with some good study skills, mathiness, and aversion to reading. I share a little about his challenges in a frank way, and boy do they run with it. I mean the sharky types. I got a ton of help from others.

Just read this whole thread. Nice!

Got a S22 and D22 from a small bad high school in CA. D22 is #1, and S22 #3 of 60. With going test-optional and help from me in the application process they should not get any more of a rude awakening than anyone else on this thread and they and I are looking at the same kinds of LACs. I know less about bigger places at this point, and find most but not all OOS as completely unattainable financially. We can afford at most 14k so hoping for merit/need combos.

Some NPCs of highly recommended colleges on this thread came in way, way beyond anything we can do, while some came in nicely.

Some disappointing NPC results are in places we were really hoping for, including Hollins, Puget Sound, Whittier and Whitman to name a few of the many.

Anyways I’m definitely here for the rest of the run of this thread, hoping my twins can get in at around a quarter of my salary instead of the almost half my salary most places seem to calculate things at.

4 Likes

I agree with the friendly helpful vibe here! This is my second go around, and I’ve found this to be a welcoming and hilarious community to commiserate with!

With D19, we found Willamette and Whitman were very generous with merit. And what I’ve heard on the street (CC), University of Denver is also very generous with merit. Perhaps those schools’ merit could augment aid? Also we know kids at Evergreen in WA and Humboldt who are very happy - both environmental studies, not sure if that’s what you’re looking for. But, I believe, they are more affordable LAC-types that might suit you.

Thanks for the leads. I’m definitely looking for inside scoops on aid: all the schools you first mentioned yielded bad NPC results, but are desirable. Maybe they could stay on the list.

Evergreen and Humbolt seem way out of price range. Evergreen’s merit said it was for the first two years. Humbolt is in-state for us and so the expected cost is dependable, and way too much. A much poorer or a much richer family could totally do Humbolt though. They are both good options for green-oriented quirky students, which is my D22, the valedictorian. She often mentions botany as an alternative to pre-med.

There might be some pockets of merit from the state, regents scholarship (or is that only for UCs?), etc. that could bring Humbolt State in range, since the tuition is not that high, but with low tuition comes low merits and low aid.

1 Like

Not a LAC and I don’t know if it would meet your other needs as far as vibe and all, but Western Carolina University has low tuition, even out of state. They do have fees and housing costs, but it might be worth a look. Western Carolina University - Admissions and Aid

Warren Wilson also has some special aid packages Milepost One: A Free Tuition Program - Warren Wilson College. Similar vibe to Humboldt or Evergreen.

1 Like

Thanks. We’re over the 125k limit for the milepost one. Too bad there isn’t any calculation for cost of living per state. If we lived in Kansas we’d be rich, and have our pick of colleges.

At least they should choose the fed covid relief limit. That we qualify for.

Still that’s an interesting college.

1 Like

My now-junior-in-college daughter was offered a great deal of merit $ from McDaniel College. Might be worth a look.

1 Like

Cal states in general offer little to no merit aid. CSU aid is in the form of state need based aid like Cal grants if eligible along with Federal aid. The CSU system also assumes the majority of students will commute to their local campuses so tuition costs are usually just covered by the FA

Regents is for the UC’s and depending upon campus, the amounts vary.

For the UC’s and CSU’s, there is also the Middle class scholarship (need-based) if eligible.

UC Regents Scholarships and the amounts/year:
Amount: Awards vary by campus and are not transferable if you transfer to another UC campus.

• UC Berkley $2,500
  • UC Davis $7,500
  • UC Irvine $5,000
  • UCLA $2,000
  • UC Merced $7,000
  • UC Riverside $10,000
  • UC San Diego $2,000
  • UC Santa Barbara $5,000
  • UC Santa Cruz $5,000

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/tuition-financial-aid/types-of-aid/middle-class-scholarship-program.html

yeah i suspected all that. thanks.
Cal States are definitely not made for us

This is my first post to this forum, and this thread is where my D22 fits. She has 3.54 UW GPA and very lopsided 26 on the ACT her first try, will try to improve once she is back in daily math class this fall. She was a precocious child and had top standardized test scores through middle school. At the time, I was hopeful that she would qualify for a meets-full-need college.
Well, she has ADHD and slow math processing speed. She wasn’t able to keep up in advanced math and science classes. Frankly, she also didn’t try very hard due to lack of interest.

She’s creative and passionate and wants desperately to go OOS. I’ve been battling some teenage magical thinking – the realization that she’s academically average with middle class parental income hit her hard this summer.

We’re looking at midwest LACS to fit her interests in the arts and humanities and her learning style. She learns best through discussion. She’s also planning to audition for a few theater BFA programs, limited by cost of attendance (sorry, NYU is not an option). We’ve toured or driven through some of the Ohio schools and Knox pre-Covid. We just returned from Beloit in Wisconsin.

Beloit’s required courses are very loose. The student tour guide stationed at the STEM building wasn’t a STEM student, so I asked what kinds of courses meet the requirements - which are not math, science, etc. but ways of thinking. A popular anthropology course about the human animal met the science-ish distribution, and the math-ish course the guide took was similarly tangential to logical thinking.

D22 left the tour very excited and explored course options and student profiles all the way home. Highlight: discussing a philosophy of “The Good Place” course with a charming student tour guide. She liked Beloit better than Knox (I found them very similar) because it’s greener and has a few hills.

We also drove through Lawrence on this trip. I didn’t book a tour because I thought it might be a little out of reach academically and financially. She found the setting too intimidating, “fancy,” was her word. Lot’s of white limestone buildings tucked into dense vegetation and the river was really moving. So, too green and hilly. Good to know there’s a sweet spot.

These schools come up a lot on this thread, and I totally agree that they seem like great places for our kids. One school that similarly impressed me was Otterbein University outside Columbus, Ohio. The NPC reflected really nice financial aid, and the town of Westerville was very cute and active. The school offers many activities and organizations that feel accessible to the average student.

I’m excited to finally participate and glad this thread is active and welcoming.

4 Likes