Parents of the HS Class of 2022- 3.0-3.4

Not sure what you are basing that on, but I think WCU is an easier admit than JMU. Definitely worth throwing an application their way if you think he might like it.

You can look at the Common Data Set for WCU here: https://www.wcu.edu/_files/learn/provost/CDS_2020-2021.pdf

The SAT percentiles are 1030 for the 25th and 1210 for the 75th, so your son’s would be well above the 75th and they do count test scores as “very important” at WCU vs just “considered” at JMU. The average UW GPA at WCU is 3.49 so a 2.7 is not that far off, especially with the strong SAT and ACT.

From WCU’s Common Data set:
Percent in top tenth of high school graduating class: 16%
Percent in top quarter of high school graduating class: 41%
Percent in top half of high school graduating class: 78%
Percent in bottom half of high school graduating class: 22%
Percent in bottom quarter of high school graduating class: 4%

Percent who had a GPA of 4.0: 6%
Percent who had a GPA between 3.75 and 3.99: 23%
Percent who had a GPA between 3.50 and 3.74: 22%
Percent who had a GPA between 3.25 and 3.49: 19%
Percent who had a GPA between 3.00 and 3.24: 17%
Percent who had a GPA between 2.50 and 2.99: 13%

Compared to JMU’s Common Data Set:

The SAT percentiles are 1150 for the 25th and 1300 for the 75th.

Percent in top tenth of high school graduating class: 14.7%
Percent in top quarter of high school graduating class: 28.2%
Percent in top half of high school graduating class: 85.4%
Percent in bottom half of high school graduating class: 14.6%
Percent in bottom quarter of high school graduating class: 1%

(You can see JMU admits fewer students from the bottom half of their high school classes, 14.6% vs WCU’s 22%.)

JMU’s CDS does not break out the GPA, but if you want to go by other sources the average is around 3.55.

So overall, WCU may be a little bit easier to get in than JMU and his strong SAT and ACT are considered “very important” at WCU. I would show it to him and see if he’s interested. Should be affordable compared to in-state tuition in VA. And seems like the band is a big deal there so that might work for him. (Former high school marching band trumpet player here.)

What’s his weighted GPA?

So - I get not taking on debt, especially if he’s not motivated. Not all kids are the same. I had a 2.79 in HS and went to Syracuse University, all the way across the country. Their plan was to take my dad’s money for two years since I was full pay - and I’d wash out. My plan was transferring into Newhouse School - and I busted tail. Being from home was what I needed - vs. the hand holding I had. So maybe it’s ok to go away.

Southern Illinois has no OOS tuition and his ACT gets him in. COA about $30K.

Glenville State in WV is 100% acceptance and well under budget and in the area…I mean, not horrendously far.

Mary Baldwin in Staunton VA is an in -cost is $40K but they have merit you can see through the NPC. The NPC isn’t working but you might call. His ACT is well above. Maybe can go to $30K.

Shawnee State Portsmouth Ohio.

UNC Pembroke is another.

You got lots of great feedback above from other folks - so I think you can do some research to see if any fit.

It sounds like he likes to be engaged - so that’s good. But i imagine at many places, he’ll need the motivation to move on. Maybe it will come. My nephew bombed HS - no diploma - was on so many different meds.

He struggled a few years out of school - started going part time, online and got a degree in accounting from UNLV.

Maybe the new meds your son has will help him immensely.

Good luck.

Lots of luck. I’m not familiar with schools in your region, but I have a ds22 who has struggled and I know it can be so hard. If it makes you feel any better, he got into his 1st choice school which is private, receiving a substantial scholarship that brings the cost down to less than our in state flagship. Don’t count out those small schools with strong alumni donors who keep things going for future grads!

4 Likes

I’m somewhat familiar with Mary Baldwin and UNC-P and would not recommend them for this student who wants a big marching band experience. UNC-P is a HICU (Lumbee Indian) in a not great part of the state of NC and MBU is very small and doesn’t have much in the way of athletics (no football team) for a big marching band experience — great Shakespeare program, though, and great town — love Staunton.

1 Like

That’s fair - i was just seeking price points -

If you can stretch your budget a little you might look at East Carolina, too. It doesn’t have the good deal on OOS tuition that WCU does, but it is likely he could get in. Again, test scores are very important and he is well above the 75th percentile of 1180 SAT and 24 ACT. ECU is a big sports school, especially football, and marching band is a big thing there. Average GPA of incoming first years is 3.31. The percentage of students who had a GPA between 2.5 and 2.99 is 21.80% so lots of kids in his range. 29% of students were in the bottom half of their high school graduating class. Cost of Attendance (not counting books, just tuition and fees and room and board) is $34K.

Band info: https://marchingpirates.org/

Common Data Set: https://ipar.ecu.edu/research/rsrch-public-ecu-data/

Thank you, all. I should add we live within a few miles of Bridgewater College, MBU as well as JMU. Bridgewater & MBU are not the right feel. Many local kids go to JMU & live on campus as my son would have done. I know my son was still toying with going to cc & transferring to JMU. I’d really like him to go away to school the first year & hopefully, that will help his motivation.

Western & East Carolina could definitely be options as well as some of the other schools listed.

Its extremely frustrating–there was definitely a delta in his SAT scores but he has a 750 verbal & a 640 math. He only took the SAT one time. He has always tested well so a school that will consider his test scores will definitely help.

I really appreciate the input!

1 Like

Sorry - to throw on three more - both will have bands - a little farther but -

U of Memphis and Ms. State (about $35K) - so you get your big time college experience.

One last - WVU (won’t be far) - look at the attached table. It’s over $30K by 6 or 7K but if I’m reading right you might get $9K off.

Good luck

Merit Scholarship Charts - Undergraduate Admissions at WVU

Best of luck to him. What instrument does he play?

He plays trombone & bass trombone. He marches with the marching trombone. He was his Section Leader this year & went to camp at JMU. He wrestled for 2 years, 4 years of marching band, community band, orchestra for the school musical, scholastic bowl & various other clubs.

I think I handled the rejection worse than he did! I’m not looking forward to the rest of this process!

2 Likes

I work at one of the community colleges in Virginia. Several of the faculty at Blue Ridge CC also teach at JMU. (Just in case you were thinking about comparative quality.)

Both of my kids are 3.2 weighted GPAers with stronger test scores. Oh, if they only would have turned in more assignments.

1 Like

All three of my kids did marching band. It’s a wonderful activity that requires an immense amount of work and dedication. I hope he can find someplace to continue with it.

1 Like

Hang in there mom2cats!
I’m sure you’ve noticed how hard it’s been for me and my daughter on CC. I’ve taken the time to research every false lead and promise, and often respond with the facts. Still, all the false leads could have been helpful for others, but they often use this as an excuse to get on your back. Hang in thee, there are lots supportive people here and even if you get one good lead, it’s better than nothing.

4 Likes

Sadly, our DD was rejected for the Hollins Batten scholarship.
So, no Hollins for her.

Looks like it’s U of Arizona, or one of the long-shot elite needs-met schools.

I doubt she has a better shot at Agnes Scott, although I did see hints in some interaction with my daughter and Hollins that they have fairly backward selection practices and that not coming from a high school with APs and Honors was going to hurt her, while Agnes Scott could’t possibly be that backward given their clear mission.

Just read a long thread from an unhappy Knox student here today, and then your post. My son had some hopes for Knox, although not necessarily financially.

5 Likes

Sorry about Hollins. I, too, am hopeful about ASC. What was the post about Knox? I did a search and couldn’t find anything. My S applied there as well.

2 Likes

I’m sorry about Hollins @UCDProf. Maybe one of the meets need places will work out. We’re waiting on a couple as well.
Thanks for the kind words. I’m pretty used to this place, and you’re right that there’s often something useful in the mix.

4 Likes

Here’s what I was reading:

The poster is very forthcoming and doesn’t hold back revealing themselves, so that makes it easy to take in what they are saying with a grain of salt.

unfortunately the usual CC pile on happens, surprise surprise, but in general you get a very detailed description. Again, the poster gives plenty of reasons why this is from a particular point of view but I did find the details to not be a great picture, in terms of what we are looking for.

However, our main interest in Knox was for what seems like a very progressive and effective philosophy of education, and this poster actually loved the academics.

3 Likes

My D also did not receive the Batten scholarship. We were not expecting her to, but it also came the same day as a very big rejection (her top school/program), so yesterday was a no good, very bad day for us. She has other very good choices but still disappointing.

Hollins email did make it sound like they may possibly give her additional scholarship money (no guarantees but that the application would be “reconsidered”). This whole process is not for the faint of heart. I was naive to this whole process as she is our oldest, but I didn’t expect that many schools would have so many rounds of decisions for admissions, special programs, Honors, scholarships, etc.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t make too much of that Knox thread. It obviously came from someone who was unhappy and in their first few months at college. I think it is pretty common to try and put people into boxes when you are in a new environment and don’t know anyone. I wonder if they ended up transferring or not?

1 Like

Sorry she didn’t get the Batten @UCDProf. If she really likes Hollins or ASC I don’t think it would hurt for her to to tell either of them that she has a twin going to college too and finances are a stumbling block for your family. Who knows, maybe Hollins will be able to dig into that big donation and make something happen. The worst that can happen is they say, sorry can’t help you.

Are any of the UCs or CSUs affordable for you?

WCU might be something to look at if you can’t find a WUE college that works.

I can’t remember, did y’all consider Berea? That would be a school like WWC.

Certainly no shame in going the community college to state public route, either. A lot of families do that around here.

Best of luck!