Parents of the HS Class of 2022

The chancing engine does allow you to input how many AP/IB the high school offered - I did just try to put in 10 courses taken out of 10 and it still said Strong rather than Excellent.

This engine will have many flaws (as does the admissions process, lol) so needs to be used at a higher level. That said, it has the most variables I have seen in any engine.

1 Like

Yes, I agree. Also it depends on when a student can start taking them. Our HS offers a good number of AP courses (maybe 20/25) but since students can’t take them until junior year, they are limited in terms of how many would fit in their schedule.

1 Like

Same situation at our HS. 22 or so APs offered, but since they can’t be taken until junior year, most kids end up in the 4-6 category. 8-10 is less common. Kids still get into top schools. It’s just hard to compare this setup to other “rigorous” programs at other high schools. Many AOs know the high school and understand the issue.

1 Like

@Rivet2000 It is. Admissions know what the school offers. Counselors send the school report that has all the info and some admissions officers know you’re not going to take because a kid who is interested in STEM isn’t going to take AP Art whatever, etc. AOs want to see course rigor but they know what schools offer and I think the app with 3 AP courses a year with a compelling EC is better than a kid spending time doing nothing but study for 5-6 AP classes.

2 Likes

I would like to hear more about this!

Just got back from visiting 7 colleges over 8 days, driving over 3,000 miles. No students were on campus yet, and each of the schools allowing tours wanted proof of vaccination or a recent negative test. Here’s our report:

Vanderbilt- We just missed in person tours, but we were able to download an interactive map with narration so got a decent look at the place. We’d been there before with older kids. Beautiful campus with nice mix of older and new buildings. There are some nice new upperclassmen dorms that were being built last time we were there. S22 really liked how the freshmen all lived together in a dorm complex that had its own dining and activity center. Nashville is a fun and vibrant city while still feeling safe.

UGA- Only one parent allowed on tour, and it’s a far cry from the tour we went on a few years ago with cheerleaders streaming onto the bus to lead a UGA cheer. Our tour guide was of a different academic background than S22, so could not speak much to the things he was interested in, such as the honors program. It’s a nice big school campus, though navigating it requires a bus ride. Could not go into any of the buildings. We did get to walk into the football stadium, which was cool. Athens is a funky, interesting town that has a great downtown area right across from the university.

W&L- By far the most informative tour. We had a student tour guide who was very knowledgeable and a great ambassador for the university. We went into a lot of buildings, including a dorm room. We got to check out a variety of classrooms and the library. The sciences center stood out, especially an “Ideas Lab” with a 3d printer and other cool tech toys that the students could use for free for a project, even if non-school related. The town itself had transformed since the last time I saw it 10-15 years ago, and now is filled with high end stores and restaurants. Spouse and I want to go back to college there. S22 wants a bigger school.

UVA-Only one parent allowed again (booo) so I sat this one out. S22 really likes UVA though, due to its size and academics. Charlottesville is nice, and the brewery I hung out in while waiting for them to finish the tour was top notch.

Villanova- Campus is striking, with lots of stone late 19th-early 20th century buildings. We had a student tour guide, but could not go into many buildings. Campus is 200 or so acres and feels compact. It is VERY suburban. Not much the students can walk to in terms of town life.

Lehigh-The surprise of the trip. We had almost cancelled, because it was over an hour away from where we were staying in Philadelphia. But gosh what a beautiful place. It looks just like you’d image a school built by 19th century steel money. The old library was one of the most beautiful I’d ever seen, and the tech and science facilities for a mid sized school were truly impressive. We had an in person tour led by an energetic engineering student, who was excellent at detailing all the quirky, fun traditions of the school (bed frame races, anyone?). Only downside is some of the classes can get large, 100-300; and they do utilize TA’s more than I’d like to see at that price point. But overall, S22 was impressed. Bethlehem seems a city on the rise again. Nice downtown area steps from the university. The old Bethlehem Steel facility has been turned into an arts district with a high line and concert venue. Pretty cool place.

UPenn- No tours. Not even a decent interactive map or Youtube tour. Just a paper map in a box on the locked admissions door. Expected more, honestly. But Ivies don’t really have to try very hard, do they. I’d forgotten how urban the campus is. But was still fun to walk around some, though we did not learn much. The freshman dorm complex is amazing, in terms of its ancient building and tradition.

18 Likes

S22, D24, wife and I toured Texas A&M last week. They say everything is bigger in Texas, and they ain’t kidding. Weather was awesome. Days in the 80’s in Texas in August are to be spent outdoors. We had a two hour walking tour. Now
it should be said that we clocked our day walking six miles around A&M, but during the “official” tour, we did not see the Presidential Library, engineering department, business school, nursing school, or a dorm (all that came later). That tells you a bit about HOW massive this campus is. They are expecting 70,000 undergraduates and graduate students this academic year. WOW. The campus is beautiful (okay
not Iowa State beautiful, but I do like live oaks with Spanish moss). It has a bike ride share (S22 and D24 made use of this both nights we were in College Station riding around on campus). We did the engineering tour at Zachry (you should watch the tour on Youtube). Okay
a 60,000 sq.ft. maker space is unreal. This building, one of SIX in the engineering area, just oozes money. Kyle Field is huge. The Memorial Student Union is quite nice (I loved the Flag Room). The dorms
eh
they are dorms. We stayed at the University’s hotel. Of course, they were putting on a short-class for the east Texas ranchers (henceforth known in our family as “BeefCon”). So, the scores of people walking around in ten-gallon hats, massive belt buckles, and boots lent a distinctive flair (I learned all I wanted to about steel ranch fencing from one vendor!). It is now S22’s favorite
there is that minor issue of the price tag. So, here’s hoping he makes NMF. His application was submitted last night.

5 Likes

CollegeVine does ask how many are offered. I wasn’t interest enough to change that number and see how the cutoffs changed.

While it’s better than most, CV, and any “chance calculator”, must be used appropriately and with some thought. University of Washington’s <3% OOS acceptance rate for CS doesn’t make it a Safety, no matter what the calculator says, and I know that. Same with UIUC/Safety and CMU/Match.

2 Likes

Writing the essay is so hard! He is really struggling to even get started.

2 Likes

Yup, same with S22 here. Figuring out an introspective, illuminating topic for the essay is not an easy thing at all.

2 Likes

One benefit of the long college touring road trip we just took: S22 spent a lot of the driving time working on his essays and Common App.

2 Likes

The College Essay Guy has some easy exercises to get started. I like the one where he asks kids to put objects in a box as a launching point. For S22, it helped to have a little structure to get the wheels turning. I’m sure other kids can just sit down and let the words flow, but in the beginning, I think it helps to warm up with a few stretches :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Essays can be so hard. S22 really struggled with writing his 2nd draft, trying to connect different ideas/paragraphs into one coherent piece. Now when he has the proper structure, things are much easier. I hope he will wrap it up by the end of this week.

The link posted on Aug 5 is really useful when it comes to brainstorming about essays.

D22 has half of a first draft that was started a week before our vacation. She is going back to it today. Will be curious if she keeps the topic or ditches it and starts over.

D22 is a great writer but really does not even want to look at doing the essay (first of several probably, but I’m trying not to go there). At least she wants to do her AP Psych summer work.

1 Like

My S22’s GPA is currently listed on his transcript as 3.766. For the Common App, do we enter it exactly as listed or should we round to the first tenth and enter it as 3.8?

3 Likes

I’d go with 3.77 as well. I wouldn’t round up to 3.8. I think rounding to the 2d tenth is Ok but not the 1st.

5 Likes

Thanks on the GPA advice!

Okay, then for grades, what is a B+ and a B? Common App asks to enter them as GPA’s like 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 etc. Is a B+ a 3.9 and a B a 3.5?

And then for the 2019-2020 school year, we had a full first semester, then the second semester was broken into two quarters, basically pre-covid with grades and post-covid as Pass/Fail? Should S22 just choose Quarters for that year and split the first semester grades in half? Like if he got an A in English for the first semester, should he list it as two A’s in English for 0.25 credits each “quarter” even though technically they weren’t quarters yet? Because if he don’t choose quarters for that year, then he can’t list the two quarters that the second half of the year was broken into. So confusing!!!

I’m guessing a lot of kids are going to have these weird broken up years from 2019-20.

A standard, unweighted 4.0 scale typically goes like this:
A=4.0
A-=3.7
B+=3.3
B=3.0
B-=2.7
C+=2.3
C=2.0
C-=1.7

5 Likes