Parents of the HS Class of 2022

Deleted*** second thoughts

3 Likes

Is it even possible to do that?

1 Like

We understand itā€™s a very hard year on kids and parents. One of my Dā€™s friend is in the same situation now. Heā€™s flat reject at most places he applied to (CS major). Has good academic records and decent ECs to back. Heā€™s in for ASU now and planning on transferring a year later, thinking no miracles are in-store for him this final week of decisions. But a friend of mine had a same situation for her son 2 years ago. Heā€™s a perfect GPA, took all tough APs and scored a 5, nationally ranked debate player and what not. He was rejected by Princeton (ED), applied to all the other schools RD. He got regents at UCSB and admitted to L&S at UCB. They were going to enroll him at UCSB but guess what? A week later she frantically messages me that He got into Stanford!!! Heā€™s a current sophomore there doing so well. Miracles do happen so just stay put for another week. Good luck to your kiddo!!!

4 Likes

Yes, but that was 2020 when Stanford encouraged SCEA and RD students to take a gap year so accepted kids off the waitlist (without an option for a gap year) in mid August!

In this case, the kid wasnā€™t WLed, he got in through RD.

1 Like

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. That 2020 year was crazy for waitlists.

That is disheartening. But you can chalk their responses up to ignorant youth. Theyā€™ve bought into the hype of brand name and donā€™t know any better. Years ago I was going to go to UCSD. Everything was in place. Then I finally looked at a catalog (this was pre-internet for everything. Couldnā€™t look it up online they way we can now). I discovered the classes for my major were NOT what I wanted to take. So I grabbed the catalog for SDSU and looked at the classes. So much more of what I wanted. The focus was totally different, and for me, totally better. I realized I needed to go to SDSU and not UCSD, so I switched. I was really unhappy about it at the time because Iā€™d bought into the brand name of a UC being better than a CSU. But SDSU is awesome. Sheā€™s going to love it.

10 Likes

My daughter and I need advice. Sheā€™s torn between 2 schools (Tulane and UMiami) and she genuinely has no idea where to commit. I looked into both schools and they both have their pros and cons. Both schools would be around the same price. Iā€™m open to any input at this point. Sheā€™s also a Psychology major.

1 Like

Sorry things didnā€™t work out as you hoped.

If merit is an important objective, she may be still able to apply to UTD and receive a full ride as a NMF. Their pre med program is good if thatā€™s what she is after.

Good advice that we are trying to stick to! Itā€™s been a pretty bad year of high school for various reasons and it is so tempting to send him where he wants to go to try to make things a little better. But I think he would be happy with many of the choices really.

Iā€™d like him to see Alabama again. We went in January, but classes were not back in session yet. He said it was okay, but I would like him to see it again. He just doesnā€™t think seeing it will make a difference either way.

2 Likes

My advice: Go visit both.
Has she looked at the classes for her major at both locations? Theyā€™ll probably be a little different in some areas.
If she truly canā€™t decide after visiting both and looking at the classes, flip a coin and ask her how she feels about the result. If she wishes the choice had been the other one, thereā€™s your answer. If she still canā€™t decide, go with the coin-chosen school. But Iā€™m betting visits and classes will put one ahead of the other.

7 Likes

My S22 got accepted into very good CS programs.
Accepted: Georgia Tech (cs), UMICH (cs), UIUC (cs), UCSD (cs)
But he got waitlisted with his dream school UCB EECS. BUMMER!!!

Got into more CS programs and declined offers from some schools to give room for others.
Withdrawn this week: Northeastern, Case, Wisconsin, Minnesota Twin Cities, Washu, Johns Hopkins

We are very grateful to the CC community and particularly this CC parent group has been very helpful throughout the process.
Good luck to the kiddos for next week ivy-day and for the waitlist game.

25 Likes

Another consideration is that students often find jobs and settle down close to where they went to school. On the chance this happens, do you prefer Florida or Louisiana?

7 Likes

To be honest, we havenā€™t thought through that deeply about this and there isnā€™t a huge strategy behind it. Also I havenā€™t looked at the fine print either. Itā€™s more thinking aloud with the intent of assuring my son that not everyone who SIRs actually goes, and if he canā€™t pick between the final two by May 1st we are ok to lose the deposit at one. The other thinking is the fear of SIRing at one place and some unforeseen exception makes them say ā€œsorry we made a mistake. We are not letting you into Calā€.

I see a decent amount of melt at every school. Are you saying all of these are simply getting off the waitist?

I confess the ethical question never crossed my mind at all. At this point, we are pretty myopically thinking about where to commit.

1 Like

He has some great choices!

1 Like

Itā€™s been a really difficult two years and this process is coming at the end of it and really impacting studentā€™s senior year. I think getting decisions earlier would help with students and parents moving on and finding the positives in their remaining options.

While we have been waiting for decisions, I have been talking through different scenarios with my son and what opportunities he would have at his safety that might not exist elsewhere (and there are unique opportunities at every college). His experience at his safety would be different than at some of the more elite colleges but it doesnā€™t necessarily make it worse. It is hard to have an 18 year old see it that way. I also talked to him about the transfer option at Cornell (they take a lot of sophomore transfers and we have a relative who did that) and he could spend his freshman year close to home and then have a different experience his last three years (and we would save money).

Plus there is no guarantee of a great experience at the more elite school. In my circle , I know of 2 kids who left Chicago (both still struggling), a kid who left Colgate after 1 semester to go to her state school, a friend of my sonā€™s who went to Northeastern and left (but may have been partly due to Covid who knows) a kid who left Emory for the state school and a brilliant kid at Johns Hopkins who left after he was mugged 2x running (son is a runner so he didnā€™t apply).

But having said that we are still waiting for results and after a rejection at SCEA Yale, my son was accepted at Northeastern with $20,000 merit, Wesleyan and Wash U.

Wash U was a late addition to the list. It came near the end of the application season and had only one 200 word supplemental essay but my son submitted the optional 90 second video (thanks to reddit I saw that there was an extension to submit) and a musical supplement. He also has the times to run on the X-country/track team which is a big bonus for him and if it becomes his best option he will reach out to the coach and try to meet him when we visit. I think Wash U looks like a good option for my son but we have one more week before we know what his final options are.

11 Likes

Yes there is an ethical issue in double depositing. I know that it is a huge decision for a 17 or 18 year old when selecting a college, but they can only attend one college and they have until May 1 to make an informed decision. They will not lose their spot(s) if they cannot make the decision right away so there is no rush to deposit.

This is taken from an article on Education ethics:

Why is double depositing unethical?

Itā€™s deceitful. Students know they can only attend one college, so they are essentially lying when they notify more than one that they intend to enroll.

Itā€™s unfair to the college. If the practice continues, colleges may find they canā€™t predict the size of the incoming class with any accuracy. They may take actions such as enlarging the waiting list or increasing deposit amounts (both of which will impact future applicants).

Itā€™s unfair to other applicants. The double depositor is taking up a spot that could go to another student possibly on the waitlist.

What should you do?

• Tell students not to submit deposits to more than one college, unless they are wait-listed at their first choice and accepted at another.
  • Warn students that some colleges reserve the right to rescind an offer of admission if they discover that a student has made a double deposit.
18 Likes

Thanks as always for educating. I will let son know I was incorrect in proposing this option.

Just curious - is melt 100% a function of wait list action?

6 Likes

Per @Gumbymom NO, so we wonā€™t be going down this path.

2 Likes

Schools are aware of the issue of summer melt and yes the waitlist can serve that purpose to fill spots when students change their mind. Many schools will keep their waitlists open far into the summer especially after the deadlines for required documents/transcripts/AP scores are submitted since any discrepancies not noted by the student could also be grounds for rescinding acceptances.