Parents of the HS Class of 2022

My S22’s friends are waitlisted/rejected with same stats. This year every school has received more applications and 2022 has been brutal . The test blind/test optional benefitted for some kids and some kids are affected too.
As I mentioned we declined acceptance offers in 7 colleges last week & will decline some more next week. I am pretty sure, the waitlist will open doors for many kids.

3 Likes

Yes, you just have to pay for it. It would be in the thousands of dollars.

1 Like

An “aha” moment for me was when I first realized how important the “shape their institutions for the future” piece is. In addition to recruiting top students, universities are also recruiting top faculty. At many info sessions through the years, AO referenced looking for students that their faculty would want to teach.

A couple of examples:
UC Davis has a new director of admissions. Earlier this month he tweeted, “I’m honored and humbled to play a part in the lives of so many. Not just students, but thousands of staff and faculty who depend on good decisions being made in Mrak Hall”

USC director of admissions states, "the admissions office combs through thousands of applicants and pursues those who present an inclination to help achieve the University’s main objectives.

We’re always trying to achieve in the admission process by bringing students to the University who will help the University in its mission, its strategic objectives and most importantly, we’re looking to bring students whom the faculty want to teach,”

2 Likes

Yes and her name is Gumbymom!

10 Likes

Of course, the truth is most of the faculty would rather focus on their research than teach anyone.

1 Like

Is this true at liberal arts colleges though?

No, I was replying to the post on UC schools (and other large research universities)

You’re right — she could make a fortune as a consultant but does it for free on CC!

4 Likes

I was wondering,as well.

That is a vast generalization. But, if that is the case and they are forced to teach students, which group of students would be the least painful for them to each?

I have a first year CompE at Ga Tech and am a Vandy alum, so I’ll share. My S is very techie, does not care to write papers etc. He loves the tech culture/co-op and internship opportunities and focus at GT. CS is top notch! Out of the classroom he is very involved in activities that are non tech. Vandy would have more humanities opportunities, and the student body would have more diverse interests as far as academics. Probably less co-op emphasis, internships more in the summer. Both schools are challenging and have a lot to offer. It is definitely worth a visit to see where he feels most at home! Two great choices, very different schools. I’m sure he will thrive at either!

4 Likes

Another lay counselor here. D22 is very studious and accomplished, but she is still a teen. It is hard to navigate the ins and outs of applications without some help. She initially worked on her own, but we realized she could use some feedback and support. I gave feedback on the essays and helped with research on faculty and courses of study. I also reminded her to check on application status (or that peer rec would not have been submitted) and reminded her to update admissions officers, open emails, click on things. It is so much to keep track of!

5 Likes

My DS has a very similar profile and almost similar outcomes. UCB was a real bummer, even though we applied L&S to reduce the risk. Still got WL. Got accepted at Vandy, but gatech CS seems to be where he is leaning.
Since you have an older one at GT, what has been your and your DD’s experience wrt GT

2 Likes

We decided not to use after interviewing and our daughter talking to her. I am sure we made some mistakes along the way, but we are satisfied with the results so far and not expecting much tomorrow
Rejected Yale REA
Accepted UChicago, Northeastern, UCB-GMP, UCSB, UCSD, Boston College
Waitlisted UCLA, UCI, Northwestern, Georgetown
Rejected USC

13 Likes

Congrats to your DS.
Our DD19 having a very successful & enjoyable college experience so far at Georgia Tech. Its very collaborative environment and every kid is working hard. Of course they are having lots of fun too. She is not into Greek life, but still she is enjoying with straight “A” until now. Tech has too many programs / clubs to entertain kids & keep them busy.

We are OOS for Georgia and my S22 attended gold carpet day in February. He liked it very much. Until last week he was leaning towards Georgia Tech. But this week he visited UIUC CS & more confused now. :confused: :smile:

2 Likes

We didn’t use a private college counselor as we didn’t use one with my 19’er so we felt there was no need with our 22’er. Both made use of the college and career office of their Overly Large Public High School. They attended college visits that were held at/via their high school and online via Zoom.

My 19er has a niche major so the search was quite customized by its very nature.

My 22er has a more common major but he required a specific EC in college, plus he was geographically limited based on his wants.

I do not think a college counselor would have been worth the $$$ for either of them.

2 Likes

Hi - what is the best thread on this forum to figure out pros and cons of colleges while making final decisions ? Thanks

Mine has been the same way. He doesn’t understand why everyone makes such a big to-do about college. Not really interested in visiting schools, either. Thankfully a forerunner has emerged based on the best combo of value and academic offerings, so I guess that’s where he’ll go if he doesn’t start participating in the decision process. (Thankfully this is one of the two schools he has actually visited.)

1 Like

Wow that’s a solid list. I’m curious to learn where he’s planning to attend? Have you guys decided yet?

We used college counselors/ essay coaches for all 3 kids at varying levels. With oldest we had someone starting Jan of junior year help with selection and then essays. With the other 2 we just had essay help as I had picked up enough between following the process for kid #1 and reading here for a couple of years to help #2 and #3 with selecting their lists. Kids had widely different interests (#1 was psychology, #2 is math/ cs, and #3 is currently planning a music BA but if he changes his mind yet again I won’t be surprised) as well as somewhat different GPAs although they all fall into the ‘test well but can’t get an A in English class’ bucket :-). I think the 1st counselor really helped my oldest find a good selection of schools in the right range for her and that knowledge carried through for the other 2. #3 just got into 8 out of 9 schools he applied to … none of them are T50 or UCs so this wasn’t a magic formula for getting into top schools but instead was finding the right level of schools for him to consider.

4 Likes