Parents of the HS Class of 2022

Why would they need a passport to work on campus??! That doesn’t make any sense. They might need their social security card or number, but they wouldn’t need their passport, at least not at my D22’s school nor at any college I have ever heard of, unless you are overseas.

We are good on passports (got them renewed last year) and I will not be sending my D22 with hers because I fear her losing it. If she wants to do a study abroad I will bring it to her. Her school is just about 3.5-4 hrs away.

3 Likes

They need to prove that they are are a US citizen or have a visa to work in the US.

1 Like

Both my kids had to show their original passports for small, infrequent on-campus jobs (seating at sporting event with their team, supervising the craft center etc)- neither school accepted their driver’s license along with their TSA pre-check card. Made no sense to us - but had to send their passports.

My daughter also needed to scan her passport into the study abroad application when she applied for a summer 2022 study abroad back in February. The initial application would not submit without the scan.

4 Likes

One of my kids is at a UC and was required to show original passport to work as a lifeguard and as a counselor at a summer camp that is university affiliated.

One of my kids is at a private school and was asked to show their original passport to work in a *research lab.

2 Likes

If you don’t mind sending them with their birth certificate, then their passport is unnecessary. But like others on this thread, D20 had to show either one to finish up her paperwork for the job she was offered on-campus.

She also needed her SS # but didn’t need to submit actual card.

3 Likes

You definitely do not need a passport to have a campus job. It’s a federal law and a drivers license and social security card (or birth certificate) are sufficient to meet I-9 document requirements. It would be ridiculous if they did require a passport for anything but international travel. Lots of people don’t have a passport. Talk about privilege!

For study abroad, obviously a passport would be needed, but definitely not needed for anything else.

12 Likes

It’s for the i-9 form which (in theory) should be used by every US employer issuing W2.

Social security card by itself is not sufficient.

It is easier and cheaper in my neck of the woods to get a passport that lasts X years instead of permit or driver’s license.

2 Likes

Definitely way easier for most Americans to get a driver’s license or a state ID than a passport.

Here’s the complete list for establishing ID, though:

• ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address
  • School ID card with a photograph
  • Voter registration card
  • U.S.military card or draft record
  • Military dependent’s ID card
  • U.S.Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document (MMD) card
  • Native American tribal document
  • Driver’s license issued by a Canadian government authority

Acceptable List B Documents for individuals under the age of 18 who are unable to present a document listed above:

• School record or report card
  • Clinic, doctor or hospital record
  • Day care or nursery school record

For minors under the age of 18 and certain individuals with disabilities who are unable to produce any of the listed identity documents, special notations may be used in place of a List B document.

Add that to one of these:

U.S. Social Security account number card
U.S. Social Security account number card that is unrestricted.
Birth Certificate
U.S. Citizen ID Card
Identification Card for Use of Resident Citizen

Wealthy people who can afford to fly overseas have passports in my neck of the woods. Less well to do kids who are working their way through college often do not.

2 Likes

That surprised me. A driver’s license is typically about $35. A US passport is $165. Also, I’m a firm believer that kids should know how to drive, so a license is really a necessity.

4 Likes

I guess it all depends on the kid and the family. Our S had his drivers license 7 years before he actually used it for driving (he passed the test but never drove in HS or college). He did use his passport many times in that same time span.

1 Like

Mostly will skip any other admitted student events if she has made up her mind. I’ll still wait to hear from her. But from my husband’s perspective, she seem to be fitting in easily and they already formed a nice group for themselves.

5 Likes

Just get her a Global Entry… gives her access to TSA pre lines at airport and it serves as REAL ID, no need to carry passport around., that is what I did. No need to stand in long lines while at the airport going in or coming back and global entry gives fast customs and immigration after foreign travel… costs $ 100 and good for 5 years; and check with your credit card they might cover the fee.

6 Likes

Well, it took almost a day during the pandemic to get my child a permit. The closest DMV with availability was 2 hours away. Don’t own a car, so had to rent a car. Compared to the post office which is a 5 minutes walk. So it was an expensive process.

Granted, pandemic was the game changer. In normal times, driver’s permit is much easier to get. License is another story. Had to go buy a car as was worried about liability assumed by teaching kid on a rental car. These are issues unique to a big city.

4 Likes

Any idea how long it takes for the process? I might have to apply it soon enough looks like with our plans to do couple travels before D gets out of her bird’s nest.

That’s one reason I wanted to apply an additional passport card and send it with her.

Where’s your D heading to?

D20 got her global entry card last year…applied while at college and was approved for in-person appt in about 4 weeks or so. She had to wait until getting home from the semester to do the in-person appt, which took about 2 1/2 minutes total (including the picture they took).

Pretty fast and easy, well worth the $100.

3 Likes

Applied in Feb, file was approved and had to select a date for interview , did interview/fingerprinting last Tuesday and the card came in on Thursday…glad to see federal government being so efficient… in SFO the earliest dates for interview are aug 8th, but cancellations happen every day so if are looking around … you can capture one of the cancellations with in the next 2-3 days…
When I started looking around at LAX, it was Jan 2023… but with in 2-3 days of playing around, was able to grab the date which was 2 days out.

We’ve all had passports for a long time since we lived overseas 2013-19, but good reminders that I should check when S22’s expires. He was under 16 when we last renewed, so it’ll be only five years from then. We also all have Global Entry, and S22 has a driver’s license with Real ID. (Our D19 intends never to learn to drive, but she has a state ID with Real ID.)

Hey, @nyc10023, nice neighborhood! I grew up in 10044 and 10026. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We’ve saved so much time with global entry. Highly recommend. And we adults just got Clear with credit cards.

1 Like

Thank you. I had to look up 10044. Driven under the tram a million times.

1 Like